[4E] DCC #51 Castle Whiterock (SPOILERS!)

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

[4E] DCC #51 Castle Whiterock (SPOILERS!)

Post by Hybban »

As I couldn't get to GenCon, I had to do something of my evenings and week end. Now, as a weekly session, I run Castle Whiterock with 4E. We've been through #51.5 In 3 sessions of about 3-4 hours (but they spent much time in the town in the begining).

Of course, I didn't play the module as is, I never do that, I love to improvise things on the fly to challenge my players. And I don't want to convert monsters, so I try to get monsters in the MM that can be as close as possible to the original ones. For the Sih'hel, I chose to base them on the Gnome Skulk, removing the Fade Away and the Shadow Skulk, but adding dazed on top of the 1d6 when they have combat advantage (for the Chill Touch feat)

Using the layout of the room, they used very well their combat advantage putting down several times the members of the group, killing the fighter (being between 4 of them doesn't help and 41 pt of damage hurt a lot :twisted: ). and the Cleric (but with the help of one of her fellow party member that hoped that he would miss her in the area of effect :roll: ).

All in all, the characters are having fun, Lady Chauntessa is now someone they go to, when they are lookign for some contacts, they have met Quintus (whose apprentice will soon be missing, having been kidnapped by some slavers) and a strange and greedy gnome (that sent them against the Sinister Secret of Castle Whiterock).

I'm too lazy to actually write a writeup of the sessions, but I'll probably post here some of my adaptations for 4E. And of course, I'll answer every questions :)

Hyb'
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: [4E] DCC #51 Castle Whiterock (SPOILERS!)

Post by Jengenritz »

Hybban...if your game is still going, it'd be cool to see some of the 4E conversions you made.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: [4E] DCC #51 Castle Whiterock (SPOILERS!)

Post by Hybban »

Jengenritz wrote:Hybban...if your game is still going, it'd be cool to see some of the 4E conversions you made.
Game is still going. And in fact I do no converstion :)
Basically, 1st level is slavers, I use the human bandits of th MM. Secon and 3rd level are ocrs, I use again the orcs of the MM. I try to find the monster that are the closest of the original version in the MM. For the #51.5 module, I used the skulking gnome for the giglling blue monsters (as my players used to called them) only keeping the additionnal damage for combat advantage (put the fighter down in one round twice thanks to that :twisted: ).

Basically, I keep the map, and where I think an encounter will be fun, I put monsters as I see fit. If the players roll to well and characters kill everything, I have some more minions coming from the next round (and ambush waiting).

We are at the end of level 2. The players becoming too smart, the orcs offered to surrender in axchange of the slaves. The players got the slaves back, but the orcs have desappeared (in the secret passage that they didn't have time to look for, they are awaited by a really strong force in the second level). Coming back to town with the slaves, the character are heroes, bringing back slaves. But the thief helped a smuggler and the characters have set thge Hall of the Minotaur afire after being attacked there (2 very nice plot hooks that will run between the dungeon levels).

After all that, their popularity has decreased :twisted:

If you have specific questions...

Hyb'

Return to “Castle Whiterock”