Goodman Games
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/

Sinister Secret of Whiterock questions
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3549
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Dave Blewer [ Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Sinister Secret of Whiterock questions

Hi,

First off, I really like this scenario, I am definitely getting the old school vibe from it, that I hoped for. However, I fear I may have detected some small "plot holes".

It's just possible that I am missing something here... It really wouldn't be the first time.

The owlbear can be one of the plot hooks which gets the heroes into the scenario. However, I can't see how it gets to the surface.

It is "trapped" in a room with the cistern on one side and the Forbidden Fane on the other. It can't climb up the cistern, and the sil'hel refuse to enter the Fane, so how do they train it. Come to that, if they do drag it through the Fane, they can't get it to the surface anyway.

Am I missing anything?

OK I have some fixes.

Rather than have the Fane be forbidden, the sil'hel have been feeding the assassin vine. You see, it is studded with the same crystals the owlbear is and they have taken it as a sign their "god" has dominance over plant life. What's more , the vine guards "holy relics" from their dim, almost mythical past. If the Sil'hel want to move the owlbear, they feed the plant first.

Further I shall have a cauldron already fitted to the lift chain with a cauldron, they use it to transport the owlbear. However if a bunch of heroes cram into it they might find it can't take the weight...

Thoughts?

Author:  Harley Stroh [ Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H

Author:  JediOre [ Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Harley, these are plot holes.

We know you put stuff like that in there just to keep us on our toes. :wink:

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

You mean those kinds of things are not intentional to encourage GMs to personalize the adventures...? 8)

Author:  Harley Stroh [ Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)

//H

Author:  Dave Blewer [ Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:12 am ]
Post subject: 

Harley Stroh wrote:
Dave,

Nope, you're right. This is a bona fide plot hole. How DOES the owlbear get out? I think your solution is perfect.

Just to avoid future embarrassment, I should let you know that Into the Wilds has a similar plot hole. :oops: Twice is bad enough. Let's hope I don't make much more of a habit out of this. :)

//H


It's absolutely no problem, I suspect my stuff is riddled with mistakes, gaff's and just general boneheadedness.

Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Harley Stroh wrote:
Yeah, I try to include you guys in the design process:

"Um, I have no idea what Harley could possibly have been thinking ... so here's what we're going to do ..." :)


All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:

Author:  Harley Stroh [ Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:08 am ]
Post subject: 

GnomeBoy wrote:
All a very well designed part of the 'classic' module feel! :wink:


*laugh* Exactly!

Dave Blewer wrote:
Let me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)


Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H

Author:  Dave Blewer [ Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Harley Stroh wrote:
Dave Blewer wrote:
et me reiterate that I think Sinister Secret of Whiterock is a fine scenario! :)


Thank you, Dave! I hope it plays out well for your group.

//H


I shall report back... Soon :)

I really like what I have seen of the DCC series, They are easy to "Savage" as well :)

Author:  Damien the Bloodfeaster [ Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I finished running 51.5 in my tabletop game this last weekend, and will report on it soon in my campaign thread.

I decided that the sih'hel toss the occasional captured prisoner down the pit into the well chamber below to feed the owlbear, effectively appeasing the Voracious Spirit-Beast of the Pit. Thus it never actually left the dungeon or the chamber it grew up in. When not being fed prisoners, it snacked on rats from the well chamber.

The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.

Author:  Dave Blewer [ Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:
The bigger question I had is, how do the sih'hel get up and down throughout the complex? I finally decided that their fingertips also exuded a substance to allow them co climb the walls more easily to explain part of it. Fortunately, my players didn't inquire too closely as to this issue.


Yes, I have added a wall crawling ability to the sih'hel as well.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/