My Castle Whiterock campaign

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

My Castle Whiterock campaign

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I am filling out the Cillimar area for my Whiterock campaign. I have a hex map of the area I have made. Comments/suggestions/criticism/changes?
Last edited by PeelSeel2 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

That mountain north of CW, the one with the little white plume....?

Nahhh! Couldn't be.....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

GnomeBoy wrote:That mountain north of CW, the one with the little white plume....?

Nahhh! Couldn't be.....
:lol:
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

Unless you have specific plans for it, I'd be inclined to remove Felder village and have Cillamar remain the closest community to Castle Whiterock.

The description of Cillamar hints at xenophobic tribes or cults living on the moors to the south of town, which to my mind would rule out the presence of another nearby village.

Now, if it were the RUINS of an old village, that would be another story...
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Damien the Bloodfeaster wrote:Unless you have specific plans for it, I'd be inclined to remove Felder village and have Cillamar remain the closest community to Castle Whiterock.

The description of Cillamar hints at xenophobic tribes or cults living on the moors to the south of town, which to my mind would rule out the presence of another nearby village.

Now, if it were the RUINS of an old village, that would be another story...
Changed that, and made a few modifications laong those lines
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

The characters in my former/now continuing campaign are 5-7 level and I am starting them out in Whiterock. I use an 'old school' experience point system, so advancement is slow. I should be able to bring them in line with the levels by the time we hit the blue book. In the mean time I have had to up the challenge of the red Book.

On level 1, I made all the slavers more 'elite' fighters and Rogues of 3rd level. This presented some challenge to the party, but they persevered. Ikenvar and Melchin escaped to the Orcs on level 2. The party has broke the back of the slavers for now....

For level Two I have amended the creatures as follows:
The Orcs, given the small company that they are, where originally drawn from the the Ranks of The Roc guard and other infamous elite Orc units of the White Roc's and other tribes. Drugila was able to get a small but elite group of Orcs to follow her on her folly. The fighting style practiced by the White Roc and associated tribes is a two weapon style based on the Krukga, a small orcish sword favored by Orcs in the area. For game purposes it is a short sword.

White Talon (or Roc) Orc, Male Orc Ftr4: CR 4; AL CE; Medium Humanoid; HD 4d10+8; hp 35 (Disabled -2/Dying -14/Injury 14); Init +2; Spd 20; AC 17 (FF 15, Touch 12); Atk +8 base melee, +6 base ranged; Grapple +8;
+7 Melee (Sword, short 1d6+6/crit 19-20/x2) and +7 Melee (Sword, short 1d6+4/crit 19-20/x2);
+8 Melee (Unarmed strike 1d3+4/crit 20/x2);

SQ: Light Sensitivity (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.

Fighter Features: Bonus Feat (3), Proficiency: Tower Shield;

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: STR 18, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 6, WIS 10, CHA 8

Feats: Armor Proficiency: heavy, Weapon Specialization: Sword, short, Weapon Focus: Sword, short, Armor Proficiency: medium, Tower Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Armor Proficiency: light.

Weapons: Sword, short x2. Armor: Breastplate. (Spell Failure 25%). Explorer`s outfit.

The pygmy minotaur I have changed to a 4th level barbarian minotaur. His intelligence and attitude are about like Blaster from Mad Max: Beyond thunderdome. He was a performer in the Bleak theater until he got his brains knocked out. Kaerenga bought him and nursed him back to health. He is afraid of the dark now and has total loyalty to the orcs, like a puppy dog to a master. He fights with 'Fist' Daggers, which for game purposes are counted as large daggers.

Maxus, Male Minotaur Monstrous Humanoid6/Bbn5: CR 9; AL CE; Large Monstrous Humanoid; HD 6d8+5d12+44; hp 109 (Disabled -4/Dying -18/Injury 18); Init +2; Spd 40; AC 16 (FF 16, Touch 11); Atk +15/+10/+5 base melee, +12/+7/+2 base ranged; Grapple +20; Face 10'x10'; Reach 10';
+15 Melee (Gore 1d8+7/crit 20/x2);
+15 Melee (Charge 4d6+7/crit 20/x2);
+15/+10/+5 Melee (Unarmed strike 1d4+5/crit 20/x2);
+14/+9/+4 Melee (Dagger 1d6+5/crit 17-20/x2) and +14 Melee (Dagger 1d6+2/crit 17-20/x2);

SA: Powerful Charge (Ex)
SQ: Natural Cunning (Ex), Scent (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.

Barbarian Features: Rage (2x/day), Fast Movement, Illiteracy, Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +1, Improved Uncanny Dodge;

Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: STR 21, DEX 15, CON 18, INT 4, WIS 12, CHA 8

Skills: Hide -2, Jump +9, Listen +5, Search +1, Spot +5.

Feats: Weapon Focus: Dagger, Armor Proficiency: medium, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Improved Critical: Dagger, Two-Weapon Fighting, Armor Proficiency: light.

Weapons: Dagger x2. Armor: Chain shirt.

Rage:
STR 25 +7 CON 22 +6 HP: +22 Fort +12 Will +9 AC: 14
+17 Melee (Gore 1d8+10/crit 20/x2);
+15 Melee (Charge 4d6+10/crit 20/x2);
+17/+12/+7 Melee (Unarmed strike 1d4+7/crit 20/x2);
+16/+11/+6 Melee (Dagger 1d6+7/crit 17-20/x2) and +14 Melee (Dagger 1d6+3/crit 17-20/x2);

Grapple +22

Goresh I kept the same except beefed up a lot. His troll hounds got changed to what I call Improved Dire Wolfs. They have the feat Improved Trip, which allows them a second bite on a successful Trip. Technically they should not have it, but it adds the flavor I wanted for them. Instead of potions, I gave Goresh Talismans, expendable items that activate as a swift action. I Improved the blur by 10% just because I want more survivability from him against a party of 7 5-7th level characters.

Goresh the Orc, Male Orc Rgr8: CR 8; AL CE; Medium Humanoid; HD 8d8+16; hp 59 (Disabled -2/Dying -14/Injury 14); Init +3; Spd 30; AC 17 (FF 14, Touch 13); Atk +12/+7 base melee, +11/+6 base ranged; Grapple +12;
+14/+9 Melee (Axe, orc double, Masterwork 1d8+6/crit 19-20/x3);
+12/+7 Melee (Unarmed strike 1d3+4/crit 20/x2);

SQ: Light Sensitivity (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.

Ranger Features: Track, Wild Empathy (8+Cha.Mod), Favored Enemies (2), Ranger Combat Style, Endurance, Spells, Animal Companion, Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Two-Weapon Combat, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Favored Enemy: Humanoid (Human) (+4), Favored Enemy: Humanoid (Dwarf) (+2);

Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +2
Abilities: STR 18, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 6, WIS 10, CHA 8

Skills: Balance +2, Climb +3, Escape Artist +2, Hide +2, Jump +3, Move Silently +2, Swim +3.

Feats: Endurance, Track, Weapon Focus: Axe, orc double, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, Improved Critical: Axe, orc double, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Axe, orc double, Two-Weapon Fighting, Armor Proficiency: light.

Weapons: Axe, orc double, Masterwork. Armor: Chain shirt, Masterwork. (Spell Failure 20%). Goods: Explorer`s outfit. Magic: Talisman of Swift Bear`s Endurance (5); Talisman of Swift Improved Blur (5) x2. Talisman of swift Cure Moderate (5) x2

Bears Edurance:
Con 18 +4 HP +16 Fort +10 30 Rounds

Blur:
30% Miss Chance 30 Rounds

Improved Dire Wolf: CR 3; Large Animal ; AL N; HD 6d8+18 (Animal) ; hp 45; Init +2; Spd 50; AC:14 (Flatfooted:12 Touch:11); Atk +10 base melee, +5 base ranged; Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.

+11 (2d6+10, Bite);

SA: Trip (Ex) +11
SQ: Scent (Ex), Low-light Vision (Ex);

Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
STR 25, DEX 15, CON 17, INT 2, WIS 12, CHA 10.

Skills: Hide +0, Jump +15, Listen +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +3.

Feats: Improved Natural Attack: Bite, Improved Trip, Track, Weapon Focus: Bite.

Description: Dire animals are larger, tougher, meaner versions of normal animals. They tend to have a feral, prehistoric look.

A dire wolf is an immense gray or black wolf, about 8 feet long and weighing some 700 pounds.

Combat: Dire wolves prefer to attack in packs, surrounding and flanking the foe when they can.

Special Attacks: Trip (Ex): A dire wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action (see page 139 in the Player's Handbook) without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the dire wolf.

Impoved Trip: Allows a free bite attack on a successful trip. This attack has to be against the creature tripped.

I have not improved Kaerenga yet.
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Sounds like you're putting a lot of love (and thought) into your campaign! Let us know how it develops...there's nothing we like more than hearing how the GMs change the mods and how the players break them (or get broken by them)!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....

Return to “Castle Whiterock”