[C&C] Castle Whiterock question

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

[C&C] Castle Whiterock question

Post by Ozric »

I'm thinking about picking up Castle Whiterock and running it with C&C. I've not run C&C before, but I know that the rate of character advancement is slower than in 3E. I'm sure there are people out there running Castle Whiterock...how does the difficulty of th dungeon scale up? Is there much fudging of experience rewards to ensure the PCs are not overwhelmed?
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I was also thinking about running CW with C&C. The conclusion I got was to do it one level at a time. This way, you can adapt monsters HD to the level of the characters, and give some sub-quest XP bonus in a way that the characters' levels are OK with the future dangers.

I don't imagine planning a complete conversion before playing...

Hyb'
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing a complete conversion before playing either =)

Anyway, from poking around the forum a bit more, it sounds like I could always do something like occasionally run a different module as an interlude to give the party some additional exp, preparing them for Whiterock's deeper challenges if need be.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Yes I think that there are enough Hooks in the gazeteer, enough NPCs in Cilamar and the Kingdom of Morrain and enough DCC (or other modules) to boost a little bit the characters. The thing would be not to burden them with too many magic items coming from all the places...

Hyb'
[/i]
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

This might be an ambitious question, but any idea what other DCC's are set fairly close to Whiterock's location?
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Ozric wrote:This might be an ambitious question, but any idea what other DCC's are set fairly close to Whiterock's location?
On the map of the Kingdom of Morrain Gazeteer, the DCC #19 is shown (The Volcano Caves, level 7-9).
Then there are a lot of tie-ins with other DCCs in CW. It could be easy to use these to integrate them into the campaign (and maybe change some localizations to make it work).

Hyb'
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

So the Castle Whiterock product itself suggests other DCC's to use as tie-ins if desired?
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Ozric,

Sure the box says its for levels 1-15, but in reality there is more XP and loot in there for that level range. The reason is simple: We designed some of the levels (and sub-levesl) to be concealed, or difficult to get to. For example, the PCs could easily miss level 5, level 6B, or level 8. Plus, very few groups will defeat every monster and find every bit of loot. So you might need to run sidequests or adjust the EL of deeper levels as your PCs explore.

We designed the adventure to have several ways in on different levels, and short cuts between levels to encourage PCs to come and go as they wish. With all the levels, even though each has its own feel and theme, we understand players might need a break from a massive crawl. In the Intro chapter of the book we present these ways in and out, and how to use them in a summary format.

As for tie-ins to other DCCS, CW is loaded, along with a table referencing all of these tie-ins. Although not all of them "lead" to other DCCs, astute PCs will pick up on these clues, and possibly persue them. There is also a hidden library and archmage lair that would be pefect to seed other adventure hooks.

As for nearby DCCs, #19 is close. Don't forget #51.5 (available for $2) is a prequel (lvls 1-3) that is set nearby. Many other DCCs could easily be placed near CW. I'm sure many of the short adventures from #29, #46 (Treasure Maps), and # 48 (The Adventure Continues) could be tweaked for inclusion near CW and fit well to bridge any XP gaps. Not to mention any of the fine C&C adventures published by Trollord Games.

I hope that helps and CW provides many hours of dungeon crawling fun!

Chris
Ozric
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ozric »

Yeah, that all sounds really cool and I think I'm going to place an order for a copy. I picked up 51.5 when it first came out...at 2 bucks it's a great value.

Thanks!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

i'm setting revenge of the rat king in the town of cillamar. (see the handy players' map ...

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... highlight=

----- thank you kensenata!)

Return to “Castle Whiterock”