Castle Whiterock

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Greyhawk Ruins, if it were written in 1st edition, and came with the Greyhawk City boxed set, and a guide to the nearby Nyr Dyz, Cairn Hills and Wild Coast. :)

It is _NOT_ the comedy abomination that was "Castle Greyhawk."

//H
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Oh boy... Greyhawk Ruins! Those were the days... *smile* 8)

As long as it is not Castle Greyhawk! :lol: Although I had an absolutely wonderful time reading the module and laughing my ass off! :D
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
fonkin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fonkin »

Harley Stroh wrote:Greyhawk Ruins, if it were written in 1st edition, and came with the Greyhawk City boxed set, and a guide to the nearby Nyr Dyz, Cairn Hills and Wild Coast. :)

It is _NOT_ the comedy abomination that was "Castle Greyhawk."

//H
Ohhhhh boyoboyoboyoboy! Ohboyoboyoboyoboy!
Frukathka
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Frukathka »

Any word on twhat the price on this puppy is gonna be?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

We're still finishing up the last bits and pieces, but it's looking like it will consist of four 128-page books about the dungeon, a 32-page map booklet (yes, there are that many maps!), a 64-page gazetteer, a book of player handouts, the poster map, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, tentatively priced at $99.99.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

goodmangames wrote:We're still finishing up the last bits and pieces, but it's looking like it will consist of four 128-page books about the dungeon, a 32-page map booklet (yes, there are that many maps!), a 64-page gazetteer, a book of player handouts, the poster map, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, tentatively priced at $99.99.
DCCgasm. :: shudder ::

:: throws piles of cash at Joseph Goodman, about $99 worth ::
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bento
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bento »

:shock:

Sounds like "World's Largest Dungeon Part Deux"!
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
MY PRECIOUS!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

map of whiterock appearing in your local gaming store in SIX days!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Wow, that's one impressive price tag. I've been paying mind to Goodman Games for several years now. I have no doubt the consumer will get his money worth.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
goodmangames wrote:We're still finishing up the last bits and pieces, but it's looking like it will consist of four 128-page books about the dungeon, a 32-page map booklet (yes, there are that many maps!), a 64-page gazetteer, a book of player handouts, the poster map, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, tentatively priced at $99.99.
DCCgasm. :: shudder ::

:: throws piles of cash at Joseph Goodman, about $99 worth ::
wow..............that dwarfs last year's campaign setting. wow.

don't try this at home, but i bet that the box set is thick enough to stop bullets.
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Does it have a DCC# yet? Is it going to be part of the DCC 'series' or a standalone?

Just curious, since the Gazetteer of course was DCC#35 even though if anything could stand alone it would be that :) Besides, putting a number on it encourages the anal collector types (myself among them) to get it even if they would otherwise have avoided it for whatever reason just to make sure they 'have the whole set' :D

Still looking for 3.5 and 20.5, btw :)
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Warduke wrote:wow..............that dwarfs last year's campaign setting. wow.

don't try this at home, but i bet that the box set is thick enough to stop bullets.
They actually tried that with the HERO System 5th Ed Revised book - IIRC, it really did stop small caliber stuff :)
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Harley Stroh wrote:It is _NOT_ the comedy abomination that was "Castle Greyhawk."

//H
As others have said, that module may have been an abomination to play, but to read it was comedy gold. An Earth Elemental called 'Da Ting' who goes around hitting stuff and actually saying 'Thwackoom!!', 'Crunch!!' etc as he goes? A group containing (among others) an unemotional elf and a djinn standing over a dead body as a third figure kneels at the corpse and looks up to say "He's dead, Djinn"?

Total LOL material, I tell ya :) :) :)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Absolutely. My little brother and I played through most of Castle Greyhawk. I can still recall the "Bomb Bay/Bombay doors," the Gummi constructs and what not. It made for a good diversion at a time when I would buy anything TSR put out ....

.... but it wouldn't make a good fit for the DCC line. :D

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

bobrunnicles wrote:Does it have a DCC# yet? Is it going to be part of the DCC 'series' or a standalone?
Yup. Sinister Secret of Whiterock is #51.5 and Whiterock is #51.

//H

bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

Harley Stroh wrote:
bobrunnicles wrote:Does it have a DCC# yet? Is it going to be part of the DCC 'series' or a standalone?
Yup. Sinister Secret of Whiterock is #51.5 and Whiterock is #51.

//H
Awesome :)
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see anywhere if its been said what levels this thing is for. Has that been announced?
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Sinister Secret of Whiterock is for 1st level characters, I believe.

There's another thread that has some info on Castle Whiterock. It's called "Whiterock Crystal Ball (broken)."

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 46&start=0

In it, Joseph has stated:
goodmangames wrote:Level 1-15. No joke... it's designed to start with 1st level PCs and take them up to 15th level.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

:: DCCgasm #2, just out of anticipation ::
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:Level 1-15. No joke... it's designed to start with 1st level PCs and take them up to 15th level.
Yup. But "take them up to 15th level" is a little misleading. "Slaughter PCs up to level 15 and beyond," might be more accurate. :twisted:

But seriously, one of my favorite aspects of Whiterock is that it is a playable mega dungeon. Using the box set a GM could easily set a campaign in the region and alternate adventures in and out of Whiterock. You don’t have to shelve all your other DCCs while you’re party is tackling Whiterock.

This won't be an expensive bookend on your gaming shelf. Whether it is the 4 dungeon books, or the region book, or the city map --- GMs will be putting it to use for a while.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

If you just take the 4 dungeon books alone, Whiterock is the equivalent of 16 full-length DCCs. Assuming an average-to-low DCC price is $10 and all of a sudden Whiterock looks like a screaming deal.

(And that’s just the dungeon part. I can’t tell you how stoked I am on the city portion.... but that's a personal bias. :twisted: )

//H

Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

...a combined city book/adventure for something like Punjar would be awesome...
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

here here! city book!
Rath
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Rath »

I'm really excited about this product... I've always been a sucker for megadungeons. Does anyone know when it will be released? Could it be as early as August?

Return to “Castle Whiterock”