Castle Whiterock

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Hello Pete,

Welcome to the boards!
Also, a hearty kudos to all involved for a campaign set that's got me more excited than any in recent memory. I'm really going to enjoy running this one.
A whole lot of us here at Goodman Games had a hand in that. I sincerely hope your party enjoys it!
Like Harley said, any questions that come up, let us know and we'll lend a hand!
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I've registered to the board mostly for this message : THANK YOU!
I've been buying a lot of DCC modules lately (paper and/or pdf) and I've bought the pdf of castle whiterock last week.

It's incredible, it's exactly how a uber dungeon must be. Being far from my friends (I'm a french in the US), I'll probably run this game in PbP next year (but with a lighter system than DD3.5.

I hope you'll go on realizing such great things with your upcoming products.

Hyb'
Pete Whalley
Gongfarmer

Post by Pete Whalley »

Thanks for the kind welcome folks. I've only had time to read the introduction and overview of the dungeon and about half the Morrain gazeteer so far, but I'm massively impressed already.

It's like stepping back to the good old days when a campaign was written to be played, and not just to be a good read- although I've only read a few pages I've got enough plots and plans to run a full campaign already! Looking forward to having CW serve as a setting/campaign base for the next couple of years now, 4e or no 4e.

Now, back to the books.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Pete Whalley wrote: It's like stepping back to the good old days when a campaign was written to be played, and not just to be a good read- although I've only read a few pages I've got enough plots and plans to run a full campaign already! Looking forward to having CW serve as a setting/campaign base for the next couple of years now, 4e or no 4e.
Same here!
I'm already adapting it to a french light RPG system to have fast and fun games in this excellent dungeon.
And I like that there is more to it than the dungeon: lots of adventure opportunities in the town or around the town, hook to several other DCC and this sub-quests that are more wicked than a final fantasy game (and that's a compliment!).
It made me read some of the DCCs I had bought and not yet read, like the mysterious tower.

Hyb'
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

and this sub-quests that are more wicked than a final fantasy game (and that's a compliment!).
VERY high praise indeed! I'm glad you like Castle Whiterock!

Although, I think getting Tidus's ultimate weapon from FFX is harder than "The Hero and the Sword" from CW...I can't beat that chocobo racing game! It's seriously about the only subquest I can't complete from all the FF games (the card game from FF IX gives me fits, though).
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Jengenritz wrote:
and this sub-quests that are more wicked than a final fantasy game (and that's a compliment!).
VERY high praise indeed! I'm glad you like Castle Whiterock!

Although, I think getting Tidus's ultimate weapon from FFX is harder than "The Hero and the Sword" from CW...I can't beat that chocobo racing game! It's seriously about the only subquest I can't complete from all the FF games (the card game from FF IX gives me fits, though).
Yeah but when some items are months apart in game sessions, it's not that easy. It's worth if the different clues are remembered by different players :) And that's if the players don't sell the clues !

But, I got no ultimate weapon from FFX, but I just beat the game nonetheless!

Hyb'
abelan
Gongfarmer

Post by abelan »

For those who are looking for a great Christmas present, I bought Castle Whiterock from CCG Armory for $69.99. It wil take our group a long time to make it through this monster of a module.

Thank you Goodman Games for all the wonderful products! Our gaming group is pleased with your modules.
Shambleau
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Shambleau »

Hi!

I'm considering CW but I'm not sure a mega-dungeon will suit my 3 players...
So, on to the questions:

1) How long is it? We would be running through it with C&C, which seems to be much faster that D&D, but still, 780 pages is quite long...
The problem with length is that I will be leaving my group next august for the US (for studies), and I would not want to leave unfinished job in France!

So, how much 8-hour sessions could be had out of Whiterock? They would enter the castle at level 4 or 5 (they are in Freeport at the moment) so maybe the first levels of the Castle could be scrapped? Maybe... a infortunate band of adventurers could have passed just before them, cleaned the first levels, and died horribly at some point?

2) Is there room for a little bit of Lovecraftian horror in it? I'm a big fan of Call of Cthulhu (and most of all of Delta Green) and I like to salt my C&C games with some scary mysterious many-tentacled parts. We had a blast playing the Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho for example.

Thanks a lot!
Damien the Bloodfeaster
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Damien the Bloodfeaster »

1. It's BIG. It can take PCs from 1st to 15th level.

However, you don't have to run it top to bottom. For 5th level PCs starting out, you might have the entire surface above the lake crumbled and impassible, and require them to enter through the flooded level (level 5) within the lake itself.

How many 8-hour sessions? Depends on how fast your party moves. Assuming they level up every other session, that means you're looking at 20-25 sessions. It could take longer if they find and explore every sublevel, but you don't have to run them if you don't want.

2. I still haven't read it cover to cover; I don't recall seeing anything very Lovecraftian, but that doesn't mean you couldn't add something in there. One level that might lend itself to this is the one with the troglodytes (I think level 4 or 6, off the top of my head), which with a little evocative description bear close kinship to Deep Ones and the like. Just give them some pets with the pseudonatural template.
Author: Mother of All Encounter Tables; Bits of Magicka series
Coauthor: Rappan Athuk Reloaded

Castle Whiterock Kills: [img]http://public.bag_boy.fastmail.fm/dccskull.jpg[/img] x10
Shambleau
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Shambleau »

20-25? Ouch, that's BIG indeed! Not for me I guess (for the time being at least). I think I'll pass, and go look at the other DCCs

Thank you!
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I work about seventeen hours Christmas Eve and Christmas. I'm going to take CW with me to work. (basically all I'm doing is fire guard) So, I'm really getting to open it on Xmas Eve.
Five ...
... more ...
... days. :mrgreen:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Shambleau wrote:I'm a big fan of Call of Cthulhu (and most of all of Delta Green)
Me too.

God, Delta Green (and associated books) are so well done.

Pagan Publishing in general is what I consider the pinnacle of RPG publishers (present company notwithstanding)--the quality, the research, the writing...they got it "right".

Let me just say that you're not alone on these boards regarding people wanting to "Mythos up" their games. I'm not particularly good at writing CoC adventures, so I'd assume I'm likewise not good at adding Mythos elements to my D&D game, but where I can...I do. :twisted:
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Ogrepuppy wrote:God, Delta Green (and associated books) are so well done.
Agreed. I've always considered the original Delta Green book one of the best written game supplements ever.
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I've got a legal-type question if anyone can answer for me I'd be glad:
What would be the consequences of putting out conversion notes for CW into C&C? Like on these forums. Would that give too much info away? Would it be bad for GGames?
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

there's already a page on this site with the c&c conversions posted

http://goodmangames.com/freematerial.php

so i don't see why goodman games would have a problem with you posting whiterock conversions. can't wait to see the work of charlie"white"rock! 8) 8) 8)

edit: oh, and merry christmas, everybody and happy holidays!
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

Warduke wrote:there's already a page on this site with the c&c conversions posted

http://goodmangames.com/freematerial.php

so i don't see why goodman games would have a problem with you posting whiterock conversions. can't wait to see the work of charlie"white"rock! 8) 8) 8)

edit: oh, and merry christmas, everybody and happy holidays!
Ah, good.
I hope this turns out to be as fun as it sounds. :lol:
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

I just wanted to say what an awesome job you guys/gals have done on Castle Whiterock. It is without a doubt the most well thought out boxed set I have ever owned.

I have never owned a Goodman product until now, time to start hunting down some of your other modules. :D
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
Papa-DRB
Ill-Fated Peasant

Deities for Castle Whiterock

Post by Papa-DRB »

I bought this just recently and have read the gazateer, appendices (black book), and the introduction (red book). This is *really* good.

I have one question. Is there a listing of the deities and what their portfolios are? I will probably put this in another world setting and would like to use the deities there, but I could not find information on the current ones.

-- david
Papa-DRB
Grognard
My better half and me
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Welcome to the boards!

This thread here discusses a few of the DCC gods: http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

If you like, you can ask after specific gods here and we could fill you in. At the end of the day, though, the module is yours, and you can make any changes you like...just plug in the names and portfolios you prefer and call it good.

Papa-DRB
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Papa-DRB »

Jengenritz wrote:This thread here discusses a few of the DCC gods: http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
Thanks for the welcome and the thread link.

Even though I could just plugin what the other settings deities, I like to try and keep the new deities in line with the module creators intent. The link provide me with what I need to do the "translation".

-- david
Papa-DRB
Grognard
My better half and me
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I wrote a review of the box at DF here: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27819

Hyb'
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

That's a glowing review, Hybban, thanks!
I'm glad Castle Whiterock lives up to your expectations and the sticker shock!

When you start running it for your group, feel free to post some Story Hour write-ups...it's a lot of fun seeing how different parties interact with our setting, and the different takes other GMs use for it.

Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Jengenritz wrote:That's a glowing review, Hybban, thanks!
I'm glad Castle Whiterock lives up to your expectations and the sticker shock!

When you start running it for your group, feel free to post some Story Hour write-ups...it's a lot of fun seeing how different parties interact with our setting, and the different takes other GMs use for it.
It's the "when you start" part that is the worst... I'm still looking for a group to play it with Castle and Crusade, D20 will be if I really must.

I've sent an email to the guys I already play DnD with, but no answer from now.

Hyb'

Return to “Castle Whiterock”