DCC RPG for Castle Whiterock

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Coffeedragon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC RPG for Castle Whiterock

Post by Coffeedragon »

Hi
I have been elected by our group to run Castle Whiterock as our next campaign in a few months when our current 2 year campaign ends.

I have been battling to decide what ruleset to use though. I considered C&C for its old school feel, but the group is currently still using 3.5 and are keen to try Pathfinder, which is what I was going to go with until someone sent me a copy of DCC RPG beta and I fell in love :wink:

So my question is: is it a viable option to attempt using DCC RPG to run Castle Whiterock?

I understand the official release later this year will have stats for up to level 10.
CW is designed to have characters level at 1 character level per dungeon level but I thought one could just space it out every one and a half levels to have PC's at level 10 by dungeon level 15?

Any thoughts...?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC RPG for Castle Whiterock

Post by GnomeBoy »

You'd have a lot of 'on the fly' conversion work to do, especially between now and November, but if you're up for that, I'd say give it a go!

I'm only familiar with the first few levels of CW at all, so the thing that pops into my head is: "Why would Level-Zero characters try to thwart the slavers...?" "To rescue family" seems to be an obvious answer, but I wonder if there are others...

Also, if you have Sinister Secret of Whiterock, that might make a good Level-Zero start to the campaign...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Interesting idea. I personally believe that DCC RPG translates fairly well to other d20-based systems (including "pure" 3.5). It depends to some degree on how "picky" the DM is -- if you're okay with stats being "close to right" or if you actually want to account for every skill point and feat -- but the core elements of hit points, armor class, saving throws, and attack/damage rolls are roughly comparable.

Tavis Allison has run several d20-era modules "on the fly" using DCC RPG, and he reported that they went just fine: easy to convert "in play" and not a lot of prep work. If I remember correctly, he ran Castle Zagyg, originally written in C&C rules, as well as a Pathfinder module. The details are on his blog somewhere.

The only thing you'd have to contend with would be levels above 10. However, part of the core premise of DCC RPG is that gods, deities, demons and planar lords are more powerful than any mere mortal can hope to be...so I think part of the fun would be seeing if the PCs could actually make it all the way through the 15th level as only level 10 characters!

I'd love to hear how it goes.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Coffeedragon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Coffeedragon »

You'd have a lot of 'on the fly' conversion work to do, especially between now and November, but if you're up for that, I'd say give it a go!

I'm only familiar with the first few levels of CW at all, so the thing that pops into my head is: "Why would Level-Zero characters try to thwart the slavers...?" "To rescue family" seems to be an obvious answer, but I wonder if there are others...

Also, if you have Sinister Secret of Whiterock, that might make a good Level-Zero start to the campaign...
lol, I don't mind the conversion work if the system is worth it and I'll gush a bit here and admit that DCCRPG has me more excited over a system of D&D rules than I've been in a long time :D

I have some additional homebrew material already prepped that will work very well for the 0 level funnel (can't divulge details in case some of my sneaky players are lurking about :wink: ) and I may use SSoW as well.
The only thing you'd have to contend with would be levels above 10
Judging from some of the posts around here, level 10 DCC characters are pretty hard core, so I'm not too concerned. Also if memory serves, characters power in OD&D only got very slightly better each level after 10 anyway, so if my party is both lucky AND cunning enough, they should be fine, or at least survive with most of their limbs... :wink:
Tavis Allison has run several d20-era modules "on the fly" using DCC RPG, and he reported that they went just fine: easy to convert "in play" and not a lot of prep work. If I remember correctly, he ran Castle Zagyg, originally written in C&C rules, as well as a Pathfinder module. The details are on his blog somewhere.

I'll go have a look see.
Thanks for all the feedback :)
Zenmaster
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zenmaster »

Resurrecting this thread because I am looking for a megadungeon to run with the DCC RPG. Lo and behold, one of the apparently best written ones I have stumbled across in my research is... by Goodman games!

Quickly, I have Barrowmaze I and am OK with it. Not seeing the need to expand it. Not that excited about Dr. Gillespie's products after that. The ASE many rave about is just too out there for my players. I have the old D&D Undermountain box set which I have yet to dust off. I just know how well Goodman Games does adventures, and I only play with DCCRPG rules, so I am hoping I can use this module setting as part of my DCC campaign world at some point.

More pertinently,

1) did the OP ever run any part of this for DCCRPG?

2) Does anyone have a rough conversion scale out there from the D&D of this module to DCCRPG?

Thanks for any input!
-- I am doing my part and voting with my wallet. I've purchased every Goodman Games and 3rd Party Publisher DCC publication to this point. Been worth every penny so far!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Zenmaster wrote:2) Does anyone have a rough conversion scale out there from the D&D of this module to DCCRPG?
The popular wisdom, rule of thumb is 2 D&D levels = 1 DCC level.

So if the module you want to run were, say, for 6th-8th Level characters, it's probably a good, straight-up fit for 3rd-4th Level DCC characters.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Castle Whiterock”