International Historical & Archaeological Society

A forum dedicated to our new line of officially licensed Call of Cthulhu adventure modules.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

International Historical & Archaeological Society

Post by JonHook »

Very cool. This reminds me of the Theron Marks Society.

Does Goodman Games have any plans to produce a full-fledged supplement that details the officers of the IH&AS, any artifacts the society has collected, and the mission statement for the society? I know players would love to know what kind of advantages could be available to them if they should join the society.

The IH&AS supplement could be half-full with the details and benefits of society membership, and then the other half of the book could be a short adventure for new society members.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: International Historical & Archaeological Society

Post by finarvyn »

This is a neat idea. The IH&AS seems like a great way to bring characters smoothly into an adventure, and it would be nice to have more details of the group and what they are doing.

Do they have a hidden agenda? Do the "higher ups" have any sort of master plan? If characters do things for the Society do they gain any benefits or rank? Does a higher rank allow them to know more hidden secrets, etc?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Thanks. :) The IH&AS was really just an idea I had for why investigators would keep going to the far-flung corners of the world. If you're running the adventures in AoC 5 as individual, stand-alone adventures, that's not so important ... but if you're connecting them in a campaign, or connecting them to the earlier AoC modules, I thought the Society would help explain the constant trips around the world.

I sort of envisioned it at this murky, secretive organization with plenty of hidden agendas. Not to mention lots of connections, which would help investigators find NPC connections in distant locales, or obtain necessary documents/paperwork, etc. How helpful (or not) the IA&HS is (or isn't) to investigators is ultimately up to the Keeper.

I don't know if there's any plans to expand on the idea, but it's good to know you guys like the concept. :)
JonHook
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Tabletop Games and 31st Century Games

Post by JonHook »

You should totally do that, Mike. Write it up and fully flesh-out the IH&AS. I think this would be an excellent resource.
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

JonHook wrote:You should totally do that, Mike. Write it up and fully flesh-out the IH&AS. I think this would be an excellent resource.
So true.

Maybe make it the Center piece of AoC7 or * or whatever. Where the Adventure takes place within one of the Chapter house (or the HQ), I'm sure we could easily have an Occult/Mythos story around that (A member dabbling with the wrong book, a ex-member using Mythos creature to avange his (not so) wrongful dismissal, a Dreamland story to name a few). And, at the same time you could expend on the Society, giving more information about goals, ressources, prominent members and some of the secrets.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

My only question is, how does one join the International Historical & Archaeological Society?

That title just screams out to me to pay membership fees to get the Society's journal!

:lol:
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Agree this would be a good supplement especially to link all the adventures
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

JediOre wrote:My only question is, how does one join the International Historical & Archaeological Society?
By invitation only.

Either you've got something the Society wants, or you can help them get something they want. And you might have to acquire something for them as part of initiation.

Most members wouldn't even know the ultimate goals of the Society. Only the members of the Inner Circle would ...

To those interested in a supplement involving the Society, that's not my call - ultimately, that's a decision that would need to be made by the Powers That Be (and I'm not referring to the Great Old Ones!). But it's good to know that there's a demand for something like this. Hopefully, it's something that can be properly developed at some point down the road. :)
zombiekiller
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zombiekiller »

Am sure Joseph is pleased he is not called a Great Old One! :)
You work on more ideas for the Society and we'll work on the Powers that Be!
boneguard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by boneguard »

zombiekiller wrote:Am sure Joseph is pleased he is not called a Great Old One! :)
You work on more ideas for the Society and we'll work on the Powers that Be!
I Second that.

It's a great tool which colud make a great story by itself or an excellent supplement.

The Chthulhu community with be missing something great if it doesn't become reality.

Return to “Age of Cthulhu”