Another Monk Question:Weapon Master-Armed Open Hand Question

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

armorclass10
Ill-Fated Peasant

Another Monk Question:Weapon Master-Armed Open Hand Question

Post by armorclass10 »

Armed Open Hand: You may add your Open Hand damage to opportunity attacks, attacks that you have readied, and attacks against targets that are marked.

Ok is this in lieu of the weapon being wielding, or is it added to the weapon being wielded?

i.e. I have a dagger doing 1d4, would my damage simply be 1d6 (unarmed damage) ingnoring the dagger's 1d4.

or

Would my damage be 1d4 (dagger) + 1d6 (unarmed dmg.)?

Thanks, got a game tonight and of course as usual the DM is building a player's Character for him...gotta love it. Like I don't have enough to do already LOL. :shock:
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Another Monk Question:Weapon Master-Armed Open Hand Question

Post by Tavis »

Open Hand damage is bonus striker damage, like Sneak Attack or Hunter's Quarry. You roll the extra dice when you hit if circumstances allow - which in this case would be whenever the monk has combat advantage for a reason other than flanking, or if the monk is making an opportunity attacks, an attack that he's readied, or an attack against a target that is marked (by anyone).

So a level 1 monk weapon master striking with a dagger using Martial Arts Strike would do 1d4 + Dex modifier when the circumstances didn't apply. When they did, he'd roll another 1d6 (or 1d8 if he has the Vicious Open Hand feat) and add that to the basic 1d4 + Dex mod weapon damage. Note that a critical hit maximizes the basic damage but not the striker damage (you'd still roll the d6, but not the d4).

You might be able to adapt the Gen Con tournament pregenerated characters to save you some time - there are two level 4 monks in there, one kick-boxer and one grappler. Customizing one of them as a weapon master shouldn't be hard to do.
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
armorclass10
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Another Monk Question:Weapon Master-Armed Open Hand Question

Post by armorclass10 »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Return to “4E Products”