Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary Now Available!

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary Now Available!

Post by Blackdirge »

DMs, are your monsters lacking that certain something that makes them more than just another rung in the ol’ XP ladder? Do you want your players to be wide-eyed with terror and whisper, “what the hell is that?”, when you introduce a new monster to the game? Then look no further! The newest offering from Blackdirge Publishing and Goodman Games allows you to harness the raving lunacy of H.P. Lovecraft’s tales of terror and the supernatural for you Fourth Edition Dungeons & Dragons game. That’s right; Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary brings the squishy, squamous goodness of Lovecraftian monsters to your game table.

So dispense with the mundane kobolds, goblins, and orcs, and populate your next dungeon with elder things and shoggoths. Or, the next time your PCs set sail, have them bump into a slime-coated island covered with ancient ruins where giant, Cyclopean vaults just wait to be opened…

Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary is 40 pages of new 4E material, and features over 30 of your favorite Lovecraftian critters, including everyone’s favorite, tentacular Great Old One:[/size]
  • Color out of Space: Color out of Space
  • Cthulhu: Cthulhu, Star Spawn of Cthulhu
  • Dagon: Dagon
  • Deep One: Deep One Hybrid, Deep One Hybrid Elder, Deep One Priest of Cthulhu, Deep One Raider, Deep One Leviathan
  • Elder Thing: Elder Thing, Elder Thing Lifecrafter, Protoshoggoth
  • Flying Polyp: Flying Polyp
  • Ghoul, Lovecraftian: Ghoul Burrow King, Ghoul Coffin Cracker, Ghoul Grubber, Ghoul Gnawer
  • Great Race of Yith: Yithian Lightning Guard, Yithian Mindshifter, Yithian Temporal Master
  • Gug: Gug Priest of the Old Ones, Gug Sentry, Gug Slayer
  • Mi-Go: Mi-Go Guard, Mi-Go Scout, Mi-Go Surgeon
  • Nightgaunt: Nightgaunt, Nightgaunt Chosen of Nodens
  • Shantak: Shantak
  • Shoggoth: Greater Shoggoth, Shoggoth
Pick up Critter Cache VI: Lovecraftian Bestiary at RPGNOW for only $3.99.
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Syffin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary Now Available!

Post by Syffin »

Absolutely love it. Especially the devices at the end. As always great job!

Temporal Cubes are very interesting, I had a character that would have loved these sorts of things, too bad he didn't live long enough!

Any idea what the next Cache will be?
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Syffin wrote:Absolutely love it. Especially the devices at the end. As always great job!

Temporal Cubes are very interesting, I had a character that would have loved these sorts of things, too bad he didn't live long enough!

Any idea what the next Cache will be?
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

The eldritch artifacts were a blast to write; I could fill a whole book with those things. :D

Here are some of the current ideas floating around for upcoming Critter Caches:

Humanoids
Oriental monsters
Undead
Plant monsters
More animals
More prehistoric animals
Constructs
Aberrations

In addition, I'll be debuting some short, bargain-priced monster products (among other things) in the next month. They'll be the same quality as Critter Cache, but will be priced to fit even the tightest RPG budget. :D

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
MatthewJHanson
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by MatthewJHanson »

Blackdirge wrote:Humanoids
Oriental monsters
Undead
Plant monsters
More animals
More prehistoric animals
Constructs
Aberrations
For what its worth plant monsters are probably highest on my list, while humanoids are probably the lowest.
In addition, I'll be debuting some short, bargain-priced monster products (among other things) in the next month. They'll be the same quality as Critter Cache, but will be priced to fit even the tightest RPG budget. :D
Because those Critter Caches are so pricey?
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

MatthewJHanson wrote:For what its worth plant monsters are probably highest on my list, while humanoids are probably the lowest.
Yeah, plants and oriental monsters are the two most likely to happen next.
MatthewJHanson wrote:Because those Critter Caches are so pricey?
Heh, not at all. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Critter Cache. :D

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

After enjoying the Lovecraftian goodness I vote oriental :D
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blackdirge wrote:Heh, not at all. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with Critter Cache. :D

BD
I got a lot of Lovecraftian bang for my buck!

:shock:

...That sounds like a euphemism for something better left untouched.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blackdirge wrote:The eldritch artifacts were a blast to write; I could fill a whole book with those things.
Can I be the first to say...

"Umm, YES, please."
crash_beedo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by crash_beedo »

Nice job - this was the first Critter Cache I've gotten, I'm glad to see the Goodman team-up with Chaosium allowing products like this one. There are definitely enough left-over Cthulhoid Mythos monsters for a second critter cache... Cthonians, various Great Old Ones and Outer Gods (Shub, Hastur, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth), Insects of Shaggai, Hunting Horrors, the Son of Yog Sothoth, Dimensional Shamblers... you get the idea.

Any chance we'd see a general 4E sourcebook for CofC style adventures? Magic in Call of Cthulhu is mostly ritual-based and could convert to 4E fairly well - the 3.x era D20 CofC book had a section on sanity loss for fantasy characters, sanity values for standard monsters, how to mix fantasy and CofC, etc. Could be a hit for you guys!

Lessee, Mythos Rituals, artifacts, books and grimoires, monsters, some delve-style encounters, (potentially) a sanity-sub-system, and notes on developing a mythos-oriented campaign in 4E would be a fantastic sourcebook.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

crash_beedo wrote:Nice job - this was the first Critter Cache I've gotten, I'm glad to see the Goodman team-up with Chaosium allowing products like this one. There are definitely enough left-over Cthulhoid Mythos monsters for a second critter cache... Cthonians, various Great Old Ones and Outer Gods (Shub, Hastur, Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth), Insects of Shaggai, Hunting Horrors, the Son of Yog Sothoth, Dimensional Shamblers... you get the idea.

Any chance we'd see a general 4E sourcebook for CofC style adventures? Magic in Call of Cthulhu is mostly ritual-based and could convert to 4E fairly well - the 3.x era D20 CofC book had a section on sanity loss for fantasy characters, sanity values for standard monsters, how to mix fantasy and CofC, etc. Could be a hit for you guys!

Lessee, Mythos Rituals, artifacts, books and grimoires, monsters, some delve-style encounters, (potentially) a sanity-sub-system, and notes on developing a mythos-oriented campaign in 4E would be a fantastic sourcebook.
Hi Crash,

Just to clarify, this book is not the result of a team-up between Goodman Games and Chaosium. All of the Lovecraftian monsters that appear in this book are taken from the works of H.P Lovecraft that are now in the public domain. Monsters such as cthonains, the insects from Shaggai, and the dark young of Shub-Niggurath, to name a few, are the creations of other authors and are not in the public domain. Chaosium, I believe, holds the rights to most of the Cthulhu Mythos stuff that is not directly from Lovecraft's own works, so that's why none of that material appears in Critter Cache: Lovecraftian Bestiary.

I think a book on Lovecraftian magic is a great idea. However, as I mentioned above, it would have to come from Lovecraft's own works rather than material owned by Chaosium.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
crash_beedo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by crash_beedo »

Ah, well - thanks for the clarifications. With the Age of Cthulhu license by Chaosium, I thought Goodman had access to the whole library of mythos content that Chaosium itself publishes - including those works by the August Derleths, Ramsey Campbells, Blochs, Lynn Carters, etc who dabbled in writing Cthulhu mythos stuff. I'm guessing Goodman just has rights to use their BRP system then, and not the properties.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

crash_beedo wrote:Ah, well - thanks for the clarifications. With the Age of Cthulhu license by Chaosium, I thought Goodman had access to the whole library of mythos content that Chaosium itself publishes - including those works by the August Derleths, Ramsey Campbells, Blochs, Lynn Carters, etc who dabbled in writing Cthulhu mythos stuff. I'm guessing Goodman just has rights to use their BRP system then, and not the properties.
Yup, that's about right.

I would have loved to include Lovecraftian monsters created by the authors you mentioned above (it nearly killed me that I wasn't able to include the cthonians), but as you pointed out, those properties belong to Chaosium.

With that said, however, there are still a few true Lovecraftian critters that I left out of CC6. Moonbeasts, dholes, ghasts, men of Leng, and zoogs, to name a few, could pop up in a Blackdirge/Goodman monster product in the very near future. =]

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel

Return to “4E Products”