Submissions Question

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Starfox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Submissions Question

Post by Starfox »

Something you do not mention in your submission guidelines is the issue of previous publication. Many good articles are publicized on local campaign pages, just as they used to be published in little-known fanzines back in the day. What is your view on this?

To be more concrete, if I have published something on my campaign Wiki, are you still interested in publishing it? It is not a highly popular or well-published page, more an online reference for friends, tough it is occasionally (like 2/year) mentioned on boards like ENworld.

Thinking about the open call for ritual submissions primarily.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Submissions Question

Post by goodmangames »

"Accepted submissions will be commissioned for exclusive publication by Goodman Games"...meaning it can't be published anywhere else. If you are able to remove it from those other locations, that shouldn't be a problem.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

Tempting, tempting!!

Now to fight the laziness :oops: that would prevent me tidying up my home rituals.

MMM
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
Ben Wenham
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Ben Wenham »

With regards to rituals for submissions; would you prefer rituals which are directly applicable to 'adventuring' or may we stray a little into rites which might be more useful in character driven gaming?
Starfox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Starfox »

Another question: The old 3.5SRD contained a lot of spells that would be rituals in 4E. What is your view on replicating these? It is almost inevitable that many 4E rituals will have similar effects, but what about using old names and such?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Starfox wrote:Another question: The old 3.5SRD contained a lot of spells that would be rituals in 4E. What is your view on replicating these? It is almost inevitable that many 4E rituals will have similar effects, but what about using old names and such?
Great question! While some 3.5 spells and 4E rituals might look alike, be sure that your ritual is born out of 4E --- we're not simply trying to fill in the "3.5 gap" but rather explore mechanics and magics that are uniquely 4E. Rituals open up a lot of possibilities that didn't exist in 3.5; explore these possibilities before reskinning old 3.5 spells into the new edition.

Remember how disappointing it was to open up the old MERP book and find the spells that mimicked AD&D ... and how cool it was to find the new spells that accomplished stuff that AD&D could never conceive of? (Or maybe you don't. MERP came out, what, 20 years ago?) Regardless, the ideal manuscript will be new magic, something that is both mechanically balanced and exciting, all at once.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Starfox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Starfox »

I sent in a bunch of rituals now. Many of those are conversions of 3E (and earlier) rituals that were lacking in the PH and other sources. While I see the value of new rituals, I also feel that the loss of a good magical effect is a blow to the game.

I realize there is a risk some of these will appear in Arcane Power. I did not try and "camouflage" their origin in any way - keeping the original names. Many of the effects evolved a great deal on migration to 4E and are now new effects, just keeping an old name. Changing these to new names is pretty trivial.

if you like what I did, things can naturally change in an editing process. if you don't... Well, then there is no need to discuss it. 8)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Thank you, Starfox. Back from D&D EXP now, and catching up on my emails. Expect an email from me this week.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “4E Products”