Master Dungeons M2: Curse of the Kingspire Cover

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Keraptis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Master Dungeons M2: Curse of the Kingspire Cover

Post by Keraptis »

Why the heck are you guys reusing old cover art? :? :?:

I mean, the cover to Curse of the Kingsprie is cool, but I remember that one. It was a Dragon Magazine cover. I probably still have that one.

I would much, much rather see you guys have brand new covers. You have some amazing new artists. Reusing and recycling art from old places seems really lame even if it is stuff by Clyde Caldwell.

Please, please use new artists for the next Master Dungeons!!! :D
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Master Dungeons M2: Curse of the Kingspire Cover

Post by GnomeBoy »

Perhaps the ownership of the art lies with the artist, the intended art fell through, and this was the fix to get the product out on time? Just a theory.

Sheesh, fans want the old-school, they don't want the old-school, you can't win for losing....

Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Keraptis
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Keraptis »

GnomeBoy wrote:Perhaps the ownership of the art lies with the artist, the intended art fell through, and this was the fix to get the product out on time? Just a theory.
I hope your theory is right.

I definitely like the old school covers and would love to see new Clyde Caldwell stuff, but I want it to be new Clyde Caldwell stuff if that makes sense. I don't want to see stuff I've seen before on the covers of Dragon Magazine and stuff Ive already bought. It was great seeing new Erol Otus and Jim Roslof and Jeff Dee covers on the DCCs and I would like to see the same on the Master Dungeons with Caldwell and maybe Larry Elmore.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I hope this is a one time thing. I don't want to start buying all the old 2nd edition cover art again on new product. I look forward to the new covers. They can really inspire great gaming sessions or any DM's worst nightmare. Someone at the table yelling, Hey isn't that an old Dragon cover? Then having someone else say, No way! Arguments and possibly food fights soon fallow and the game grinds to a halt.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

This is also speculation, but perhaps the cover art from the old Dragon Magazine is where Harley drew his inspiration for this adventure.

If that were true, this old piece of art is perfect for this module.
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I suppose if that were the case maybe it could have been used inside the module somewhere. The books in the 2nd edition line usually had at least three full color full page pictures spread throughout. I guess it's not the end of the world if an old picture pops up here and there. I just don't want to see it become the norm.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

What matters to me is if the cover art is actually relevant to the adventure, but I do agree, new art from the old artists would be the optimal choice. Larry Elmore is still doing new stuff.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Part of the idea behind Master Dungeons is great adventures inspired by great fantasy art. For the most part you're going to see classic art by classic artists on these covers. Some may be reprinted from classic sources, and others may never have seen print before. But unlike the DCC's, we're not trying consciously to inspire nostalgia about the old days. I'm impressed you guys even knew the origin of that picture. If WotC's goals are achieved -- and 4E pulls in a new generation of players -- this cover will be seen by many people who weren't born the first time it was printed. We're bringing them what we consider to be "classic" fantasy art, but packaged and presented for 4E in a way that I hope will inspire the same enjoyment that we old-timers all experienced back in the 80's.

Plus, the adventure is damn good. Harley can elaborate on that...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Wow, this wizard-woman gets around!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

Does she ever! I think she must be the D&D equivalent of a supermodel. She has more covers than any other sorceress I know. :lol:

Out of curiosity does anyone know of another D&D picture that has been recycled for several covers?

xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

DCCfan wrote:Does she ever! I think she must be the D&D equivalent of a supermodel. She has more covers than any other sorceress I know. :lol:

Out of curiosity does anyone know of another D&D picture that has been recycled for several covers?
No but I would love to see this one used again:

Return to “4E Products”