M1 - Dragora's Dungeon

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

M1 - Dragora's Dungeon

Post by Hybban »

I see a lot of people talking about Sellsword of Punjar, which I can't read because I'm going to be a player in the module this wednesday, but nobody seems to talk about the new line of modules from Goodman Games, the Master Dungeons.

I must admit that I am really impressed with this module. And if I wasn't running Castle Whiterock, I'd be running that right now. After the first read, it seems to be a really hard ride, but it is really rewarding for the players.

I'm still a little meh about the new layout. It seems that there is less material per page, that everything is written to large, but otherwise the statblocs are really clear. Even if the Bristle spider bloc is written 3 times in the module, and some of the ape-men too...

Once again, Harley has made a really good job, the story, the various environment, the villain(s), the encounter with this otherworldly civilization (even if it's not otherworldly...), the final battle... Everything was a blast to read!

I'm eagerly awaiting for those other MX modules now :p

Hyb'
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: M1 - Dragora's Dungeon

Post by Harley Stroh »

Hyb,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy playing in Sellswords. I'm working on MD #2 right now, and have really high hopes for it.

Re: Dragora layout. Good input. You're right about the monster stats. In retrospect we could have handled them differently.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

Hey, those are the first modules, the layout can only imporve from there. I think that in general, the monster stats take too much space. And some areas are not really clearly explaned, like all the begining of area 1 (down the rift) and the first trap, the waterfall, etc. Note, that this could come from me being french and not a native english speaker :P In this case I usually make it up so that the players have fun arriving in a new area!

But the story and the various environment are simply great. I'm actually running Into the Wilds with another group and I recognize your way to mix different elements in a single story.

I may actually run M1 after Into the Wilds (that was following Halls of the Minotaur). After saving the Baron, another attack on Wildsgate. They could follow the Ape-men into another part of the Wilds close to the Spires... :twisted:

Hyb'
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Why, that's a cool idea, to run one after the other!

If only I could run Into The Wilds again...I still remember the player who got grabbed (grappled) by a giant bat (w/ gobbo rider), broke the grapple and pulled a Legolas move by vaulting / somersaulting up onto the bat's back, knocking the gobbo out of the saddle and taking over the bat. Good times.

Anyway....I've just received Dragora, so I'm still absorbing. Harley always has little details in his adventures, that he doesn't describe to any legth, that spark my imagination. (for example, the Beast Lords in Halls of the Minotaur...they were described in the background, without very much detail but with a lot of implication...and I loved it!) Subtle suggestions can really "make" an adventure.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Why, that's a cool idea, to run one after the other!

If only I could run Into The Wilds again...I still remember the player who got grabbed (grappled) by a giant bat (w/ gobbo rider), broke the grapple and pulled a Legolas move by vaulting / somersaulting up onto the bat's back, knocking the gobbo out of the saddle and taking over the bat. Good times.
That's just plain sweet. I love Dungeons and Dragons. :)
Ogrepuppy wrote:Anyway....I've just received Dragora, so I'm still absorbing. Harley always has little details in his adventures, that he doesn't describe to any legth, that spark my imagination. (for example, the Beast Lords in Halls of the Minotaur...they were described in the background, without very much detail but with a lot of implication...and I loved it!) Subtle suggestions can really "make" an adventure.
Thanks. EGG did this better than anyone else. Flipping through the AD&D artifacts section is like accessing a lost tome that needs to be referenced with a dozen other histories. It always made his worlds seem *real*, and something to strive towards in my mind.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “4E Products”