Critter Encounters?

Forum for Master Dungeons, Forgotten Heroes, Hero's Handbook, and all our other 4E products except for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

meverz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Critter Encounters?

Post by meverz »

Are you planning on releasing more Critter Encounters? I got the first one (bugged out), and thought it was a great idea.

I would love more I can liberally sprinkle throughout my campaigns.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Critter Encounters?

Post by Blackdirge »

meverz wrote:Are you planning on releasing more Critter Encounters? I got the first one (bugged out), and thought it was a great idea.

I would love more I can liberally sprinkle throughout my campaigns.
Yes, I'm working on more Critter Encounters.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
meverz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by meverz »

Great to hear you are working on more. Any idea on when you plan to release them? (Or at least announce them?)

Bugged Out was pretty good, but would be better if it was a bit longer.

Something a bit more like the sample lairs in the Draconomicon*. About 3 or 4 or so encounters statted out (with maybe another 1 or 2 "optional" encounters) that push the party, (ie close to out of healing surges by the end, all dailys used), but can generally be completed without needing an extended rest. That is the size of 'dungeon' I prefer to run that leaves plenty of room for plot.

Adventures that take around 4 - 5 hours to complete, just the right size for a good nights gaming, with plenty of plot hooks to spur further adventures if the party pursue them. Something like the "Road to Adventure" in Level Up #1.

If that is not what you are going for with Critter Encounters, cool. Would you consider releasing another line of modules more like I describe above?

* I assume the delves in Dungeon Delve are like this as well, but I haven't got that yet (and am unlikely to now WotC have pulled their pdfs).
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

meverz wrote:Great to hear you are working on more. Any idea on when you plan to release them? (Or at least announce them?)

Bugged Out was pretty good, but would be better if it was a bit longer.

Something a bit more like the sample lairs in the Draconomicon*. About 3 or 4 or so encounters statted out (with maybe another 1 or 2 "optional" encounters) that push the party, (ie close to out of healing surges by the end, all dailys used), but can generally be completed without needing an extended rest. That is the size of 'dungeon' I prefer to run that leaves plenty of room for plot.

Adventures that take around 4 - 5 hours to complete, just the right size for a good nights gaming, with plenty of plot hooks to spur further adventures if the party pursue them. Something like the "Road to Adventure" in Level Up #1.

If that is not what you are going for with Critter Encounters, cool. Would you consider releasing another line of modules more like I describe above?

* I assume the delves in Dungeon Delve are like this as well, but I haven't got that yet (and am unlikely to now WotC have pulled their pdfs).
Yeah, I think you're right on the money here. I've been running a lot of short adventures at Cons, and 3 to 4 encounters seems to be the sweet spot for short adventures (3 to 5 hours). That's the format I'll be using for Critter Encounters going forward.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
meverz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by meverz »

Great to hear, and if you can also manage to fit a skill challenge (or 2!) in there somewhere, they would be absolutely top notch.

I really like the optional extra encounters in the Draconomicon that let the DM easily add a few more encounters to either increase the XP or the time of the adventure.

I suppose I really should track down a copy of Dungeon Delves.

Return to “4E Products”