DCC: Suggestions (all welcome)

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

yell0w_lantern
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC: Suggestions (all welcome)

Post by yell0w_lantern »

I started this just as one thing I would personally like to see published in the DCC line but I'd like to see other people's thoughts for this fantastic bunch of modules. Please feel free to post your suggestions/wish lists or whatever about stuff you'd like to see in Dungeon Crawl Classics.

I suppose my favorite aspect of the DCC product line is that many of the adventures are homages to 1st ed AD&D modules with a new twist or even set of new twists. There have been several with haunted locales such as crypts, caves, and even a light house (btw, will this be released in print to the public at large some day?) but as far as I know (which, admittedly, is not that far) there has not been a classic Haunted House adventure. I would love to see one of these.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Hey yell0w_lantern,

Welcome on board the Goodman Games forums.

Your request may have already been fulfilled in Dungeon Crawl Classics #20: Shadows in Freeport.

Since you asked, I'm always interested in the basics: orcs, goblinoids, giants, etc. Of course, I'm a sucker for these silly things and have got every DCC to date (except 3.5)
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

I love that we've seen a DCC inspired by the Tomb of Horrors and will soon see one inspired by the Keep on the Borderlands. I'd love to see The Village of Hommelet receive a similar treatment (the moathouse was probably the adventure site I played the most back in the 1E days) as well as the giant, drow and slaver series. They wouldn't need to be a series (although that'd be great, too), but simply doing a site-based adventure featuring storming a giant's fortress (although I suppose the Stormbringer modules might count as this, but I'd rather see something like a stone giant's mountain castle), raiding a drow cavern complex and organizing a breakout from a slaver's citadel.
Alarick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

dcc sugestions

Post by Alarick »

i love to see one like the old module isle of dread
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

War Rafts of Kron....anyone remember that one?
Not exactly old-school, but it was one of the first good modules I ever played.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Drone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drone »

A while back, AEG and Fantasy Flight Games made mini-adventures. They cost only $2.50-$3.00 US and were handy little things to add to your campaign when you wanted to have something happen to the PCs "on the road" or to try and level them before the next adventure.

Although the AEG ones weren't very good, I think this idea still has some merit. Just little 4 or 5 encounter mini-adventures (or as they call them in Dungeon magazine, SideTreks). Nothing fancy, just ideas that can't be made into full-blown DCCs.
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Luck is probability taken personally.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

Jengenritz wrote:War Rafts of Kron....anyone remember that one?
Not exactly old-school, but it was one of the first good modules I ever played.
I remember that one, never had the chance to either run or play it, but it did make for some good reading.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

JediOre wrote:Hey yell0w_lantern,

Welcome on board the Goodman Games forums.

Your request may have already been fulfilled in Dungeon Crawl Classics #20: Shadows in Freeport.

Since you asked, I'm always interested in the basics: orcs, goblinoids, giants, etc. Of course, I'm a sucker for these silly things and have got every DCC to date (except 3.5)
I like adventures with the common monsters as well, humanoids are my favorite creature type to throw at my PCs.
groodude
Gongfarmer

Post by groodude »

If I had a vote to throw out, I'd put mine down for the slavers series (A1- A4).
There are people that I'm gaming with who have barely even heard of these adventures. That's just not right!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I agree, a Slavers series would be great.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Human Antagonists

Post by JediOre »

We need more modules that rely upon mankind as being the main foe. Of course they should have some monster allies or lackeys and they may be praying to a demon-god or such, but having man as the main foe (with humanoids) just seems to be in keeping with the old golden age of fantasy. Almost every game I've ever heard about has man as the most common race. It stands to reason that they, like evil humanoids, would get the lion's share of villainous roles.

Many of the classic AD&D modules include this theme:

The Slaver series
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Parts of the Desert if Desolation
The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

These are examples that come to mind. Also, the most dangerous villains in The Keep on the Borderlands were demon-worshiping clerics.

That's my two more cents worth.
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Well Jedi, I'll have to hit you up to buy my module when it finally gets printed. Probably another year from now. They have at least a half dozen modules ahead of mine, and mine will be a 3 part deal. Maybe more. It may remind you a little of the Desert of Desolation series, mostly because mine is set in arid plains and desert areas, and mountains. About a 600 square mile area. Its actually based on teh terrain around my home. So when I am describing enocunter areas it will be based on terrain I actually looked at and decided to use.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:Well Jedi, I'll have to hit you up to buy my module when it finally gets printed. Probably another year from now. They have at least a half dozen modules ahead of mine, and mine will be a 3 part deal. Maybe more. It may remind you a little of the Desert of Desolation series, mostly because mine is set in arid plains and desert areas, and mountains. About a 600 square mile area. Its actually based on teh terrain around my home. So when I am describing enocunter areas it will be based on terrain I actually looked at and decided to use.
Sounds really cool Treebore! I'll spend my gaming dollar on that when it (they) come out!

Moriarty the Red
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

It may be sacrilege to suggest this, but one thing you might try is a more social oriented dungeon. Now, before anyone shouts "Hang him high!", I *don't* necessarily mean getting into character or artsy fartsy "ROLEplaying versus ROLLplaying." What I mean is, having a dungeon where mutliple factions are vying for a prize and spelling out faction motives, interests, plans, reactions to possible events, etc. Something like competing elemental factions from the ToEE, intrigues in the Criestine court, etc. Navigating this "social dungeon" could even use something like dramatic challenges from SpyCraft to make social interaction more crunchy and quantitative.

But I understand why this wouldn't be in the cards. They are, after all, "Dungeon Crawl Classics," not "Roleplaying Interaction Classics." :)
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Two things, I want to make sure everyone knows/understands that Necromancer Games is publishing my module, Not Goodman.

Jonathan,

You may like my module. It involves several factions with their own agenda's. In essence its a political powerplay and DM's can definitely go much further than what will be in the modules.

Plus "The Coils of Set" may be something you can work with as well. That is by Ryan Henry, also via Necromancer.

Grey Citadel, even though 3.0, may be up your alley as well.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Don't know whether that has already been suggested (in one of the other threads) but what I would like to see are some nation or region specific sourcebooks - much in the line of the old "Gazetteers" of the MYSTARA setting for D&D (you know the ones, don't you: ELVES OF ALFHEIM or MINROTHAD GUILDS et. al.)
Top of the wish list would be "CRIESTE" and "THEOCRACY OF THE LANCE"! :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Treebore wrote:Jonathan,

You may like my module. It involves several factions with their own agenda's. In essence its a political powerplay and DM's can definitely go much further than what will be in the modules.

Plus "The Coils of Set" may be something you can work with as well. That is by Ryan Henry, also via Necromancer.

Grey Citadel, even though 3.0, may be up your alley as well.
Thanks! I'll check them out.
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

How about some solo adventures? While they weren't many of these for D&D (a few, using invisible ink), they were quite popular for Tunnels and Trolls and the Fantasy Trip.

(In fact, that's what prompted me to think of it - a company - Dark City Games sent me review copies of a couple of their modules, which are very much inspired by those Fantasy Trip adventures from Metagaming. Not that I want someone to step on their toes, so to speak, but they use very different rules than D&D, closer to Gurps)
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

trancejeremy wrote:How about some solo adventures?
I always thought some DCC adventures designed for one GM and one player would be fun. Something in the style of the Thief's Challenge/Fighter's Challenge/Priest's Challenge D&D adventures from 2nd ed.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Jet Jaguar
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jet Jaguar »

A solo DCC would be so cool. The player could be like Fafhrd or the Gray Mouser, fighting evil and grabbing treasure in the sewers beneath some city. I'd buy it!!!! :D
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

another vote for a solo DCC adventure!

...however, what I'd also like to see:

Give us an all-new mini-campaign series of 3-4 "linked" DCCs, either as a campaign starter (levels 1-6) or as a highlight for the "mid-range" levels (7-12) of an ongoing campaign.
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

A series of books in the vein of the old Book of Lairs from 1st ed would be a great addition.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.

Return to “Suggestion Box”