Artwork Compilation!

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Artwork Compilation!

Post by Ramone »

I'd like to see an artwork compilation for DCC series 1. Now that it's being retired, it would be a great keepsake to have full page artwork of the DCC covers and interior art.

Here's my bandwagon, hop on it!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Artwork Compilation!

Post by GnomeBoy »

More than just an artwork compilation, I'd like to see an artwork compilation that also re-counts the formation and history of Goodman Games...

This is the point where usually the poster would insist they'd buy one.... Things as they are, I can only say, I'd make a great effort to find a way to squeeze my budget to start to consider thinking about buying one....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

We've been talking with Erol for several years about doing a book of his work. It will probably happen at some point. It could be a good chance to cover other aspects of the DCC line art as well. And maybe tell the true story of Trampier, too.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I don't often type this, but

OMG

Trampier?!?!

*starts contorting his budget right now!*

An overview and 'story' of Trampier would be fantastic. New art, well, I'd-

*passes out*

[DISCLAIMER: This is in no way meant to indicate any diminished respect for the contributions of Mr. Otus. Far from it.]
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ramone »

goodmangames wrote:We've been talking with Erol for several years about doing a book of his work. It will probably happen at some point.
Yay! Good to hear. I know several gamer pals who'd would love this! E.O. is the man!
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ramone »

It's been a while since I checked in on this thread--I hoped someone might have some news to share. :D
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

As an alternate way of showcasing DCC art, I was thinking this morning about how awesome DCC trading cards would be. Especially if they were old-school trading cards printed on cheap cardboard stock with a stick of "gum" in each pack.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

wow! Thats a great idea. I used to love tearing open the waxpaper packs of cards and trying to chew that awful pink gum while searching through my new cards. Got it got it got it need it got it... :D
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ramone »

So is the Dungeon Alphabet "the book" that Goodman was working with Erol on? Will there still be an art book on the Goodman DCC covers? (the first series)
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I forgot all about this topic. I still love the idea of the old-School baseball style cards with the gum. The art could be on the front with info on the back. I use Frank Frazzeta cards as book marks when I read.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Ramone wrote:So is the Dungeon Alphabet "the book" that Goodman was working with Erol on? Will there still be an art book on the Goodman DCC covers? (the first series)
Dungeon Alphabet isn't the art book we talked about, no. But it is the art direction I'd like to go in for future old-school projects. Could still be a "DCC covers" art book at some point.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

DCCfan wrote:I forgot all about this topic. I still love the idea of the old-School baseball style cards with the gum. The art could be on the front with info on the back. I use Frank Frazzeta cards as book marks when I read.
Don't want this idea to be forgotten. :)

Was doing some research for my own amusement, and I did find a printing and packaging company that will include the terrible gum. Alas, the FDA now requires that the gum be individually wrapped inside the package of cards. And I couldn't find any places that would package the cards in the old waxy paper packs.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I find it funny that the FDA is ok with what is quite possibly the worst gum ever made as long as it is individually wrapped. Maybe the extra wrapper will seal in the flavor. :lol:

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

DCCfan wrote:I forgot all about this topic. I still love the idea of the old-School baseball style cards with the gum. The art could be on the front with info on the back. I use Frank Frazzeta cards as book marks when I read.
I hate to be the one to be a nay-sayer here, but I'm really torn on this idea. Anyone remember the two sets of TSR cards that were printed a couple of decades ago? I thought they were awesome, you could buy the whole set in a single box, and they've sat collecting dust for a couple of decades.

1. If they're sold in random packs you get scads of duplicates. If they're sold as a set you lose the fun of collecting and no gum.

2. I had hoped to "do something" with the TSR sets, so I sorted out cards to represent the player characters or NPCs, treasures, and so on. Well, I've lost quite a few over the years so I can't even claim the set to be a "collectable."

All in all, I'd rather have an art book. :|
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I just thought that the cards would be a cheap alternative to a book. Plus the fun of reliving those childhood memories for a few moments. Opening that pack of cards to see what you got is half the reason I started playing CCG's. Except for Magic I think every card I ever collected is now about worthless. I use them as bookmarks or game aids like you did. A book would probably be better for the majority of Goodman Games fans.

mike wilson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by mike wilson »

Absolutely an EO book! Must have. Also include never before seen work, concept sketches and new work. Do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do do!!

Return to “Suggestion Box”