New Miniatures?

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Post Reply
User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 am

Will you produce any miniatures based on the Castle Whiterock campaign setting? Chauntessa and the inns patrons would be a nice start. The orcs with cloud giant bloodlines would be nice too.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 am

I'm guessing the answer is no. I saw GG minis on clearance for two bucks at gencon this year. Did this line just not sell very well? Was this price just a con special or has this line of minis been retired to the clearance bin?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2701
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:41 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by goodmangames » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 am

The minis did well but they're a distraction from the core business of doing modules. The format I like the best for these was the tournament edition of Vault of the Dragon Kings, where we included the minis with the module. That's something I'm still considering for future releases. Miniatures by themselves are often stocked away from the modules in game stores... but minis in a box are presented to the players in one package, and enhance the play experience in the same way that handouts, battle maps, props, and other elements do.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

User avatar
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Ramone » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:29 am

Would Goodman consider teaming up with someone like Reaper Minis to produce a line of DCC miniatures? It was stated that the focus has been to veer away from minis because it's not the 'core business'. But I think just the opposite is true. Look at Wizards--and TSR before them. They have/had their own mini lines. In fact, WotC is HUGE into the figures.

That said, I'd love to see a resurgence in Goodman minis. One of the best clerics I ever bought was Veriander Lyras! Unfortunately I can no longer find any decent wererat minis. I have to special order them. How can I host a "Idylls of the Rat King" without?? :(

I personally think Reaper would be great--they even have a DHL Classics line--a nostalgic series that is sized/designed after Grenadier and Ral Partha. Here's a sample of the wizards 3-pack: http://reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03335

Another option would be Ironwind Metals who currently have the casts for many Ral minis.

Please bring the minis back!

User avatar
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Ramone » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd like to bump this up to see if there's anyone else out there interested in GG minis. (Please read my previous post.)

Sir Brown
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: London

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Sir Brown » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 am

:mrgreen: I love Miniatures i say Goodman if you could be so kind :D especerly for your 4th ed games like the Thirsty Grandmother love to paint that hag :lol:

and like heroes boxsets since its a little hard to find dragon borne minis and Teeflings

Please with big Puppy Dog eyes
Make Love & War Come on theres Death Both ways AH HA HA HA HA HA

User avatar
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Ramone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Well it looks like Reaper is going to be making minis for Paizo's Pathfinder RPG. Even the free Retro Clone Swords and Wizardry has a mini manufacturer (Center Stage Miniatures).

Wondering if this has any effect on Goodman's plans and if licensing minis might be a possibility. Personally I think Otherworld makes some fantastic, old-school minis: http://www.otherworld.me.uk

Licensing seems like the way to go, then you're not outlaying extra cost for starting up a new venture--you just find a partner!

More details:
Paizo's Pathfinder and Reaper: http://paizo.com/paizo/news/v5748eaic9maw

S&W and Center Stage: http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/?p=153

User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:47 am

This sounds like a great sugestion. I would love to see some new GG minis.


Ramone wrote:Well it looks like Reaper is going to be making minis for Paizo's Pathfinder RPG. Even the free Retro Clone Swords and Wizardry has a mini manufacturer (Center Stage Miniatures).

Wondering if this has any effect on Goodman's plans and if licensing minis might be a possibility. Personally I think Otherworld makes some fantastic, old-school minis: http://www.otherworld.me.uk

Licensing seems like the way to go, then you're not outlaying extra cost for starting up a new venture--you just find a partner!

More details:
Paizo's Pathfinder and Reaper: http://paizo.com/paizo/news/v5748eaic9maw

S&W and Center Stage: http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/?p=153
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

User avatar
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Ramone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm

And now it sounds like Otherworld is doing minis for Labyrinth Lord. A fine match, I'd say. How about it Goodman? Any thoughts on partnering up with someone? :wink:

Here's the news: http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/03/07/34210

User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I forgot all about this topic as well. I don't know the money side of this but can't you release even one small box set a year? Something like a 6 figure adventureing party or a group of monsters. Are metal minis dieing out?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

User avatar
Ramone
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by Ramone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

DCCfan wrote:I forgot all about this topic as well. I don't know the money side of this but can't you release even one small box set a year? Something like a 6 figure adventureing party or a group of monsters. Are metal minis dieing out?
I can't imagine they are with everyone upping production and expanding into new lines.

User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Then I guess I can't help but ask... Why no GG miniatures?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

User avatar
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:23 am
FLGS: The Comics Club
Location: Auburndale, FL

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by DCCfan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:37 pm

goodmangames wrote:The minis did well but they're a distraction from the core business of doing modules. The format I like the best for these was the tournament edition of Vault of the Dragon Kings, where we included the minis with the module. That's something I'm still considering for future releases. Miniatures by themselves are often stocked away from the modules in game stores... but minis in a box are presented to the players in one package, and enhance the play experience in the same way that handouts, battle maps, props, and other elements do.
Will you consider including minis with the release of the new DCC RPG in a cool retro box? Maybe with the dice and crayon too?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal
Posts: 2701
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:41 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: New Miniatures?

Post by goodmangames » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 am

Minis in a boxed set would be cool but right now that's not part of the plans.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Post Reply