what if with DCCRPG

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

area_51_games
Gongfarmer

what if with DCCRPG

Post by area_51_games »

I would like to see one shoot adventures with the what if . . . DCCRPG rule set, ; like sci-fi space opera, aftermath: espionage: western, Victorian era League of extrodinary explorors; Pirates of the Devils Trangle. such as these 165 page books done once to see if any one like them.
now what I suggest is that you keep every thing about character creation! fighters, Thief, Wizards, Cleric, Elf, Dwarf, Halfing.

its the equipment and and monsters that change as well as setting, but Keep Aereth and just change the era and such.
like a Victorian era/Western set in Aereth. but with guns and an adventure

that way you need the core book and its rules you just change the era of technology and the equipment.
I personally always wanted to see what would happen to a world that progressed into other eras and
the fun adventures.
like a world war Edwarden setting with espionage adventures with zepplins and by plans with magic and guns.
or a sci fi opera, WHAT IF ANDVANCE SPACE FARING civilization and its colony ship landed or crashed on Aereth
the known realms in space. : the crew has long expired with only the Artificials are working and they ar programmed to serve!
hey what if this where part of s series of booklets called Goodman presents : with ADVENTURES and articles and what if?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: what if with DCCRPG

Post by finarvyn »

An interesting concept, and I love "what if" scenarios, but I'm not sure if DCC will be a good fit for it or not. The thing is that DCC is being designed to fit a specific genre of fiction (commonly called Appendix N, but essentially old swords & sorcery from the '20s through the early '70s). As such, the rules will have that flavor. It may take significant redesign or conversion to adapt the game to fit a genre which is significantly different from the one chosen.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ah, but Appendix N covers a lot of ground, doesn't it? I mean, I haven't read it all, by any means, but what selections I have read from Appendix N proper include such things as ray guns and dimension hopping and planetary travel and pocket universes and scientific expeditions. I think I understand why DCC RPG RAW doesn't include, say, death-ray blaster-guns, but that doesn't mean they aren't Appendix N appropriate...

I'd suppose anything could be done with the right combination of enthusiasm, understanding and inventiveness. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd suppose anything could be done with the right combination of enthusiasm, understanding and inventiveness. :)
You're right, of course. I was just thinking that many settings would require a lot more work and conversion than others. Much of the rulebook will be spells, which clearly set the tone for a particular type of setting. Other settings won't have any of those extras built in already so you have to start from scratch.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

finarvyn wrote:Much of the rulebook will be spells, which clearly set the tone for a particular type of setting...
The learned sorcerer knows best how to bend spells to his will... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Suggestion Box”