Psionic DCC

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Psionic DCC

Post by Mark_Gedak »

I would like to see some of the DCC contain psionic items and opponents.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Yeah, that's a cool idea, actually. But I don't know if Psionics is part of the Open Gaming Licence of the SRD?!
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

Psionics are absolutely part of the SRD. There are a number of restrictions obviously, no Gith, no Thri-Keen, et cetera but all the classes, powers and such as in the SRD.
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Yep, all the basic Psionic data is indeed SRD - only a few minor things are absent, such as some specialty creatures/races.

My reservation is that psionics doesn't really feel "classic" in the sense that other fantasy tropes and adventures do. Aside from the Mind Flayer (which is not SRD) there weren't any old school creatures that really engaged me as a player that had a distinct psionic threat.

It could be just the modules and games I was exposed to, but I don't recall any psi-heavy adventures from my youth.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

ynnen wrote:there weren't any old school creatures that really engaged me as a player that had a distinct psionic threat.
From MM1 - brain mole, couatl, all demon lords, all demons Type II and up, Succubus, all archdevils, horned devil, ice devil, pit fiend, intellect devourer, ki-rin, mind flayers (obviously) - though phrenic scourges work for OGC or possessors, shedu, su-monster, and titan.

There were quite a few actually, they just have become less psionic as editions change.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I, too, never felt much enthusiasm for psionics in D&D.

A 'mind trip' DCC would be cool -- something that could work for the psionics fans, but could also be played without emphasis on psionics rules (which I don't own) i.e. any relevant psionics rules are in sidebars or statblocks or an appendix.

My disinterest in psionic powers may initially stem from the fact that IIRC you rolled randomly to see if a character had psionics -- and I never had a successful roll. Plus, they just seemed more Gamma World....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Mark_Gedak wrote:
ynnen wrote:there weren't any old school creatures that really engaged me as a player that had a distinct psionic threat.
From MM1 - brain mole, couatl, all demon lords, all demons Type II and up, Succubus, all archdevils, horned devil, ice devil, pit fiend, intellect devourer, ki-rin, mind flayers (obviously) - though phrenic scourges work for OGC or possessors, shedu, su-monster, and titan.

There were quite a few actually, they just have become less psionic as editions change.
That's a good point - things did change over time. And another reason these may never have made an impression is that Psionics required extra books and extra rules and extra information that we generally didn't have access to -- so it was easy to ignore the Psionic abilities of a creature adn focus on their other abilities.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
Eryx
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Eryx »

I would like to see a psionic based DCC. There arn't enough decent ones out there and if anyne could do a "classic" feel psonic module it's GG.
---

Staunch anti-4E. Nuff said.
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Found One

Post by Mark_Gedak »

I stand corrected. DCC #29 the Adventure Begins has a short psionic adventure. It is designed for 1st-2nd level characters and spans a total of 9 pages.

Psionic lovers its called "The Crystal Shrine" by Jeff LeSala.

Return to “Suggestion Box”