Goodman Games
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/

DCC Tournament Ideas
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1851
Page 1 of 2

Author:  fathead [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  DCC Tournament Ideas

While we wait for more DCC tournament tidbits, I thought I'd start a thread for future DCC tournaments and what we'd be interested in seeing.

Wizards Conclave - an all wizards group (obviously, lots of multiclassing, but every character has some levels in either sorcerer or wizard).

Thieves Guild - same as the Wizards Conclave idea, but with a thieves guild! Maybe they're infiltrating a rival thieving guild that has cropped up (only to discover that there is some more sinister behind it).

Level characters each round - a period of time separates each round. In round 1, the characters are low level. Round 2, the characters are now mid-level. Round 3, high level. The characters and background story are posted after advancements. The rounds are all tied together thematically...it's just that the story is years in the making, culminating in the final round.

Alright...those are my starting ideas. Post away!

Author:  ynnen [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:12 am ]
Post subject: 

i really like the thieves' guild sort of idea. the thieves' guild concept is a pretty classic fantasy trope... and it makes for all sorts of interesting ideas -- whether it be to recover some artifact from a dangerous lair or to break into a rival guild base and kidnap their leader...

gosh, even if it's not the making of a future tourney, that'd make a kickin' home campaign.

Author:  fathead [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:27 am ]
Post subject: 

ynnen wrote:
i really like the thieves' guild sort of idea. the thieves' guild concept is a pretty classic fantasy trope... and it makes for all sorts of interesting ideas -- whether it be to recover some artifact from a dangerous lair or to break into a rival guild base and kidnap their leader...

gosh, even if it's not the making of a future tourney, that'd make a kickin' home campaign.


I ran a thieves guild campaign for several years. As the group progressed in levels, it increasingly became heavy on roleplaying and politics (which I loved).

I also ran another campaign based on the Wizards Conclave premise. Each character was associated with a member of a wizards conclave of Phaerun Holm...all of whom went missing except for one...and that last one was dead. The adventure started at the funeral.

Author:  Jengenritz [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah, both sound pretty darned cool. Rogue being my very favorite class, an all-rogue campaign certainly has some appeal.

Wizards? Bah! I know I'm probably alone on this, but I'll take skill points over spells every day of the week.

Still, the wizard's funeral sounds like a kicking start to a game.

Author:  fathead [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jengenritz wrote:
Wizards? Bah! I know I'm probably alone on this, but I'll take skill points over spells every day of the week.

Still, the wizard's funeral sounds like a kicking start to a game.


Well, being a fan of skill points, you'd be happy to hear where the wizards campaign wound up. One of their companions was captured by goblins, and brought to an underdark slaving port to be sold. When I came up with the concept of the city, I had no idea that the group would love the ambience so much that they would stay there permenantly. Anyway, I called the underdark city "Jeruport". The city rested in an area of null magic (unbeknownst to even most of the inhabitants, it was being created by an artifact). It made for some REALLY interesting adventures when the group was forced to rely on skills and abilities....and no spells.

Author:  fathead [ Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jengenritz wrote:
Wizards? Bah! I know I'm probably alone on this, but I'll take skill points over spells every day of the week.


Yeah...spellcasters are the perennial favorite in our group.

I'm the only one who will take rogue classes (but I'll always multiclass).

Author:  fathead [ Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 am ]
Post subject:  Character builds!

I thought the "create 6, pick 4" has worked brilliantly (and allowed for some differences between team play).

To throw out another idea:

6 characters, each assigned a point system. Attribute points, skill points, available magic items, and spell lists will all be assigned point costs. Groups can pick 4, and then build the characters with different skills, spells, magic items, etc.

On the topic of group size - I LOVE the 4 player groups. I'm guaranteed a full group each year, and it allows the GM to really cater to those 4 players. The downside is that the popularity of the DCC tournament is growing. At some point, we'll need both more judges (while still maintaining the caliber that the tournament is known for) and more players per judge.

Just a thought.

Author:  jfrenia [ Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:27 am ]
Post subject: 

Although a cool idea, the big problem with constructing PCs during the session is the time it takes.

Author:  fathead [ Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:32 am ]
Post subject: 

jfrenia wrote:
Although a cool idea, the big problem with constructing PCs during the session is the time it takes.


Yeah, I considered that. Goodman Games would have 6 characters already constructed for those that didn't pick the PCs ahead of time.

Author:  jfrenia [ Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 am ]
Post subject: 

oooo, I got ya, you meant for the groups that wanted to take the time to do it ahead of time. Those with no lives, like myself! :wink:

Author:  N'Haaz-aua [ Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

The all wizard/all rogue/ all dwarf thing has been suggested, and i'm prepping some of that goodness for my home game as well. I'd love to see that kind of focused tourney come around.

Author:  ynnen [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:38 am ]
Post subject: 

well, they keep coming up with novel, original situations. I'm already starting to look forward to 2008, since I've seen the 2007 module and can already anticipate the moans of pain and gnashing of teeth by the players as they try to survive!

:P

Author:  N'Haaz-aua [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Can we put -1 level classes in an upcoming product?

Author:  Jengenritz [ Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:50 am ]
Post subject: 

The trend HAS been downward...

Devil-Lich was 15th
Vault was 10th
Palace was 6th
Chronicle is 0"th"

I say in 2008 we make everyone gelatinous cubes.

Author:  fathead [ Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: DCC Tournament Ideas

fathead wrote:
Level characters each round - a period of time separates each round. In round 1, the characters are low level. Round 2, the characters are now mid-level. Round 3, high level. The characters and background story are posted after advancements. The rounds are all tied together thematically...it's just that the story is years in the making, culminating in the final round.


How prescient of me.

Author:  N'Haaz-aua [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: DCC Tournament Ideas

[/quote]

How prescient of me.[/quote]

:wink:

Author:  Jengenritz [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
How prescient of me.


Yeah. My exact words were:

"You have got to be BLEEPing kidding me..."

Author:  N'Haaz-aua [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

We get very quiet when people hit things on the head. We will have t omix it up a little in the future...

Author:  fathead [ Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:06 am ]
Post subject: 

Jengenritz wrote:
Quote:
How prescient of me.


Yeah. My exact words were:

"You have got to be BLEEPing kidding me..."


Not only can I put the "hex" on a DM's dice, I can also predict the future.

If anyone would like a reading from the Amazing Fathead, please step forward! Find out about your love life, or whether you'll be rich! Yes folks, the Amazing Fathead sees all!

Author:  fathead [ Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:10 am ]
Post subject: 

N'Haaz-aua wrote:
We get very quiet when people hit things on the head. We will have t omix it up a little in the future...


Ha. :) Yeah...at the time, I was a little disappointed that noone picked up on the "leveling between rounds" idea and said, "great idea Fathead"!

Then, when the player pack came out, I noticed the "Round 1" at the top. After mentioning it again (with no response), my spidey sense was tingling... ;)

Author:  fathead [ Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:12 am ]
Post subject:  Fathead's 2008 predictions

Inspired by another DCC tournament thread, I've decided it's time for my 2008 DCC Tournament predictions...plus, it's fun to give Adrian those "You have got to be BLEEPing kidding me..." moments. ;)

DCC 2008 - a high level planar romp. The levels will be 25th, and you'll be chasing a thief (with a stolen artifact) through different planes (places where the artifact itself was created!). Where you end in the previous round will determine where the thief starts at in the next round (in other words, it's possible to catch up to him...of course, the adventure will still be far from over). Magic items and charges will not automatically replenish each round. "I'm sorry Clan Yeoman...you used magic item X? Too bad. Mwa ha ha ha!" (yeah...the judges actually laugh like a sinister villain in his hidden mountain fortress)

Yes, DCC fans! You heard it here first. ;)

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fathead's 2008 predictions

fathead wrote:
DCC 2008 - a high level planar romp. The levels will be 25th, and you'll be chasing a thief (with a stolen artifact)


Are you sure you're not scrying on the 2009 tourney? 8)

I'd guess a lower level than that for 2008 -- a new rules set released only a few months before could mean too insane a number of options at 25th level to expect players to cope effectively....

...maybe it'll be level 23....? :P

...just two cents from me. :)

Author:  fathead [ Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Fathead's 2008 predictions

GnomeBoy wrote:
a new rules set released only a few months before could mean too insane a number of options at 25th level to expect players to cope effectively....


Exactly why it will be high level! ;)

Author:  fathead [ Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:03 am ]
Post subject: 

By the way Gnome...your avatar makes small children weep. Hell...it gives ME nightmares. :lol:

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:58 am ]
Post subject: 

fathead wrote:
By the way Gnome...your avatar makes small children weep. Hell...it gives ME nightmares. :lol:


Hey, I haven't mastered my gamma-cosmic-ray induced powers yet! So sue me!

Actually, don't -- I couldn't afford it just now....

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/