Licensed properties

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Licensed properties

Post by RSKennan »

Does Goodman Games have any licensed properties in the works? No need to get specific...

I always thought the show "Sliders" would make a great game. One of my goals for when I'm an established creator would be to work on that game.
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

Oh, yeah. Sliders would be pretty cool. I remember I once played in a Sliders-type Planescape game once. It was really weird, as we kept skipping to the prime materials all over the place.......our DM came up with some great alternate earths.

The only problem with Sliders was that it sorta went downhill went Sci-Fi took over. I really didn't like the way the series ended, and the fact that they couldn't keep actors around for very long.
(insert witty phrase)
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

I agree wholeheartedly. The early series was great right up until they killed Arturo.
The series really 'jumped the shark' once Quinn died. The concept was the best aspect of the show, and I think that it would translate really well to the gaming table.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

That's an interesting idea for a "Sliders" game. As for licensed material, we don't have anything in the works. I've had some ideas, but they haven't born fruit yet.

What do you think of licensed video games? Like a Final Fantasy RPG? Or, my personal favorite: a Command & Conquer tabletop miniatures game. That would be very cool.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

Hmm, I'd like to see some tabletop version of a game like Bullfrog's Populus: The Beginning. It would be half RPG, half wargame like I hear Birthright was. You'd play a primitive shaman trying to achieve and maintain godhood, and shepherding your people towards greater and greater things, through several ages. Last god standing wins.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

[quote][i]Originally posted by RSKennan[/i]
Hmm, I'd like to see some tabletop version of a game like Bullfrog's Populus: The Beginning. It would be half RPG, half wargame like I hear Birthright was. You'd play a primitive shaman trying to achieve and maintain godhood, and shepherding your people towards greater and greater things, through several ages. Last god standing wins.

[/quote]

That would be neat. There was a PDF called Timeline that sort of did this, except (if I recall correctly) you played a civilization, not a god. The civilizations were rolled up according to d20 character rules, so your civ's strength indicated its military might, intelligence was technological ability, and so on. It was a clever idea. The idea of being a shaman who shepherds a civilization is different, though, and might be better for an RPG... although you'd need a LOT of miniatures to carry a miniatures game version through all of history's ages. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Post by Guest »

Of course I hadn't thought of the [i]practical[/i] requirements of a game like that. :) but you're right. Maybe the units could be made of cheap plastic, and the basic set could include everything you'd need to play the basic game. In Populus it was a gradual process of advancement, you got 1 new unit at a time to add to your force, each with a new ability.
RSKennan
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by RSKennan »

The anonymous post above was from me. I forgot to log in.
Proud Graduate of Parallel University.
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

liscensed property

Post by snakewing »

As far as liscensed propertiesfor an RPG, I can think of nothing better than the Playstation and now Xbox series of games Oddworld.

It's a nice setting and I've liked everyone of their games.

As for Sliders, I agree. After Arturo died, it all went downhill, but getting rid of Wade and casually breaking her and Quinn up were some of my least favorite parts of the series.

Tim
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Treasure Planet

Post by snakewing »

Another property would be the movie Treasure Planet from Disney. I loved it and think it would make an excellent RPG. I wouldn't mind a sequel being made, but I doubt that will happen.
snakewing
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by snakewing »

A movie which would be a pretty good RPG would be the dragon-movie "Reign of Fire". I would see it being a lot like Deadlands: Hell on Earth (a personal favorite of mine).
Mr. Author
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Mr. Author »

You know, personally, I would like to see someone snag the Planescape license. I think It's still floating around out there. It was, in my opinion, the most imaginative D&D setting I'd ever seen, and it broke my heart when "Faction War" ended the whole thing.

For those who don't know, imagine Sliders as done with a collaborative effort by Clive Barker, Wes Craven, Neil Gaman, and some Todd MacFarlane thrown in for good measure.

And of course, it had some wonderful art by Tony DiTerlizzi:
"The great thing about Planescape was it's many varied worlds. Take Mechanus for instance: An entire plane created by clockworks. It's primary inhabitants are the Modrons, strange organic geometric denizens who are caretakers for the plane."
(insert witty phrase)
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Star Frontiers

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Planescape would be uber-cool - but the game I drool over someday being able to do, d20 style or otherwise, is Star Frontiers. THAT was a game that consumed my life as a kid. I remeber going up to Toys R' Us as a kid on a weekly basis (back when Toys R' Us actually CARRIED rpgs) and always searching in vain for something besides those stupid "Volturnus" modules) ... :)
Wolf Moon
Gongfarmer

Post by Wolf Moon »

I myself would like to see something done on the Planescape idea. That would rock.
"functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism"
zephyrmev
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zephyrmev »

I would love to see a combo of Spelljammer and Planescape.That would be great.zephyrmev. :D
Rustrider_1
Gongfarmer

Post by Rustrider_1 »

I would like to see a D20 Transformers RPG. AS far as I know there is nothing like that at the moment. Could be a cool game with a little work.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Rustrider_1 wrote:I would like to see a D20 Transformers RPG. AS far as I know there is nothing like that at the moment. Could be a cool game with a little work.
Fantasy Flight Games is doing something called "Mechamorphosis," which looks like a Transformers-but-we're-not-calling-it-Transformers setting. I don't know if it's out yet or not.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
zephyrmev
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by zephyrmev »

It is out and it is said to be very good.elforcelf.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Licensed properties are a tricky thing, obviously. If you're an RPG company, do you jump on the bandwagon of a "hot" show or movie, and hope that it has staying power? And if you do, what happens once it's gone? Not every property has the ability to stay popular once it goes off the air.

For instance, I feel sorry for AEG, which released a really good "Farscape" RPG last year -- and then Sci Fi pulled the plug on the show. As much as I loved the show, it doesn't have the huge fan base that Trek or apparently "Buffy" has, which will support lots of sourcebooks. (Yeah, I know there's a Farscape mini-series this fall, and that's great, but it's not going to bring in more fans than the show already had.)

A "Doctor Who" RPG might have a chance, although it's already been tried before (FASA's game and then the overlooked but really good "Time Lord" game in the early '90s). The only reason I mention it now is that the BBC is preparing a new series to begin next spring, so it would be cool if someone could launch a game to coincide with that. I also suggest it because I'm a huge fan. :D
dragon-slayer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by dragon-slayer »

I would like to see someone pick up Psi-World, an interesting rpg from the 80's, or maybe the Atlantean System from Bard Games. The games would not really need to be d20, just revamped and brought up to date.
Sword Guy
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Sword Guy »

Mr. Author wrote: And of course, it had some wonderful art by Tony DiTerlizzi:
"The great thing about Planescape was it's many varied worlds. Take Mechanus for instance: An entire plane created by clockworks. It's primary inhabitants are the Modrons, strange organic geometric denizens who are caretakers for the plane."
Well, and possibly the race I'm creating came from there. . .

Or maybe not.

Speaking of which, where would I post a new creation of mine?
DragonMech DM soon, with any luck.

Owner of all DragonMech books, Etherscope core book, and DCC 12.5: Iron Crypt of the Heretics.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Sword Guy wrote:Speaking of which, where would I post a new creation of mine?
You mean like a new world or monster? If it's related to one of our products it could go in the DragonMech or Other Products forums... otherwise the d20/D&D Conversation board would probably be right...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
reddingstacey
Ill-Fated Peasant

Boot Hill-Gangbusters

Post by reddingstacey »

I would like to see a remake of Boot Hill (an expanded Promise City) and Gangbusters (Lakefront City) with apropriate classes for each. I understand Hasbro is coming out with a D20Renaissance-1950 game, but as far as I know they are not resurrecting these classic settings.

Cheers,
Stacey
Makfire
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Makfire »

Never ending story would be a good setting ;)
"From the darkness a helping hand to guide you to light" http://www.gaming-world.org.uk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 1628 »

are you kidding me? System Shock and System Shock 2. if that wasn't an incredible setting i don't know what would be.

Spelljammer would be really nice to have back around...they tried to do the whole D&D in space thing with Dragonstar (which has its high points), but it really isn't the same thing. gimme some good ol' fashioned wooden ships cruising around the cosmos any day.

Peter F. Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction and the five books that followed it painted an unbelievably cool picture of a scifi universe. check them out. if someone could put -that- together i'd kiss the paper they wrote on.

-c

Return to “Suggestion Box”