Songs for an improvement of mood

What games do you want to see? What can we do better?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Drew1957
Gongfarmer

Songs for an improvement of mood

Post by Drew1957 »

Which songs really have an effect on you when you're in depression. I mean, the songs which help you to be in good mood again. Interisting, which kind of melodies will be the most of all.

------------------------------------------------
Work of my favourite artist Celine Dion songs!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Any of the Star Wars soundtracks by John Williams. Also good acappella hymns.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

I go with They Might Be Giants or some good rousing Irish drinking songs. Oh, and sea chanteys.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

mythfish wrote:Oh, and sea chanteys.
Are you serious? You're not pulling our leg?

Where does one go to purchase sea chanteys?
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Flogging Molly

Post by tadk »

in lieu of sea chanteys (i want these as well) why not Flogging Molly
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

tadk: love me some Flogging Molly...caught their show a few months ago in Philly...Dropkick Murphys also a fave...actually, if any of you are in or around Jersey, Flogging Molly is playing Sayreville on 9 March, and Dropkick Murphys are playing Atlantic City on the 13th or 14th (forget when).

JediOre: lots of places for chanties...here are three from my personal bookmarks (handy for those of you playing bard pirate quartermasters)...

http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lists/thebards.html
http://www.thebilgepumps.com/songs.htm
http://www.chivalry.com/jollyrogers/

You can also go a-searching for Maid in the Myddle, but they tend more toward traditional Irish music and only dabble in pirate tunes.

Additionally, if you prefer, there was a "cover album" of pirate songs put out recently, thusly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GG ... CJEP8TDWZE

The name of the album is Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys..it's got Joseph Arthur and Nick Cave on it. Sadly, the Nick Cave cover of "Fire Down Below" was kinda lame.

In any case, this should give you a start.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Yeah, the Rogue's Gallery CD is pretty good. I recommend the Corsairs as well. For sea chanteys in a more traditional style, the Smithsonian has put out a couple CDs.

So...yes, I'm serious. :)
Dieter Zimmerman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jengenritz wrote:You can also go a-searching for Maid in the Myddle, but they tend more toward traditional Irish music and only dabble in pirate tunes.
Totally off topic, but that's so cool. I used to work with one incarnation of Maid in the Myddle at the Colo. Ren. Faire. The first real job off the farm for an impressionable thirteen-year old. I think it might have set the course for the rest of my life. :)

"Oh, I've been a wild rover for many a year
And I've spent all me money on whiskey and beer..."

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

^ That rules. My wife came with a copy of With Love, and that was my first exposure to them. Their version of "Mingulay Boat Song" is the best, IMHO, even better than Stan Rogers or others I've heard.

Oh, bringing this back to topic...check out Stan Rogers. "Barrett's Privateers" is a good song for piracy.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Jengenritz wrote: Oh, bringing this back to topic...check out Stan Rogers. "Barrett's Privateers" is a good song for piracy.
Barrett's Privateers kicks butt. I was only recently introduced to it, and I've been looking for a recording of it. iTunes doesn't have it. :(
Dieter Zimmerman
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

If I may suggest another set of CDs - they were done with roleplaying games in mind. It's a German formation called "Erdenstern" and so far they have done 3 Albums, each and every one of them an absolute highlight.

Image Image Image

It's orchestral (much like movie soundtracks) and has a very rich, melodic quality, sounds very "natural" and not synthetic. Every Album features individual tracks for different "moods" - like "Misty swamps", "Charge into Battle!" or a rowdy seaside tavern, for example, while the albums themselves are thematically arranged: Into the Green is more wilderness oriented with exploration and outdoor travel; Into the Red features the themes of battlefields, kingly honor, and epic conflict; Into the Blue, finally, does the same for the open seas, pirates, naval battle and treasure islands.
Ah, no, I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just love the CDs and think they range among the best music specifically done for RPGs. If you feel like it, visit their home page(Klick here!), it's in English, too. You can listen to several tracks there and also download bonus stuff.
I own all of their albums and they have become an irreplacable part of my RPG music collection! High praise, indeed! :D
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

sweet. i'm ordering today.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

It looks like a worthy purchase! Good find, Argamae!

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

To notice: ERDENSTERN released their latest album, called "Into the Dark", featuring 22 new tracks for use as mood music in roleplaying games. This time they took on the horror genre--from haunted, sad themes to weird, unsettling notes to sheer terror and dark battle hymns. Again, a really, really good "rpg soundtrack"! For a closer look and sample songs, klick here. Highly recommended! :!:

Done so far:
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Sea Chanteys revisited

Post by mythfish »

Since I'm making a CD of sailing songs for Jengenritz already, it's not much more effort to burn extras. If anyone else wants one and will be at GenCon, just let me know.
Dieter Zimmerman
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

Looking forward to it!

The Desert Yeti
Gongfarmer

Post by The Desert Yeti »

Argamae... GREAT STUFF!

I'm always looking for good "score" music for background during games. I think my players have heard the Conan soundtrack over a thousand times by now! :roll:
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

If anyone else wants one and will be at GenCon, just let me know.
If nobody took Dieter up on this offer, you really should have...this is a great compilation.

I can't stop listening to the Decemberists "The Mariner's Revenge Song." Reminds me a bit of the Violent Femme's "Country Death Song"...like if that song had a kid with Molehill Orkestra's "To Anima Mundi" album.

Delicious!

Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

The Desert Yeti wrote:Argamae... GREAT STUFF!

I'm always looking for good "score" music for background during games. I think my players have heard the Conan soundtrack over a thousand times by now! :roll:
Glad I could be of some help. Did you order them?
Done so far:
Jengenritz

Re: Songs for an improvement of mood

Post by Jengenritz »

Been doing a chunk of writing lately, and the soundtrack to the PS2 game God of War has been some pretty pulse-pounding background music and quality voice acting.

"I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns. Bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him."

"I still have allies on Olympus, Ares. Now, you will see how strong I am."

WHOO-HOO!
I'd be lying if I didn't admit thinking to myself, "This scene I'm writing does not live up to the music I'm hearing. Let's amp this up a bit..."

Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

"Back in the High Life" by Steve Winwood and "Lake Charles" by Lucinda Williams.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Jengenritz wrote:Been doing a chunk of writing lately, and the soundtrack to the PS2 game God of War has been some pretty pulse-pounding background music and quality voice acting.
I'm sure that has nothing to do with the DCC tournament...

and since I'm a bit late to the thread -

I second the Flogging Molly suggestion. The wife and I caught their Valentines Day show (just a short walk from our house). We hit a local irish pub (Fat Shannons) before the show, went to see Flogging Molly, and then stumbled back to "Fat's" in the evening where they were having a "punk and metal" night (listening to Bad Religion, the Descendents, and Bad Brains one minute and then Suicidal Tendencies and Slayer the next). Yes...Covington, Kentucky is a happening place.
Dark Oracle of Gaming

Return to “Suggestion Box”