Session 1 of Two-session mini-game

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Session 1 of Two-session mini-game

Post by StormPatriarch »

Two-session mini-game –Session 1- Four players.

I ran session one of a 2-session mini-game for my other group to give them a taste of Eldritch. One of the players is from the previous game I ran. One other player had been in a combat test once. The other 2 were new to the system. We used the pregenerated characters from the quick start but not the adventure (Wasn’t sure if some of them had read it already or not). I did add more spells for the magic characters.

Things went good. They all seemed to have a good time and expressed good opinions of the system. They liked the freedom they would have had to create what they want in a PC. They liked the easy combat rules and action resolution.

Only hang up was spell sustaining seemed expensive to the magic character’s player. EX. He was using Smoke Cloud to obscure some movement of the group. He rolled a 10, which w/ an upkeep of 5 was draining his SP pretty quickly.

Will do a write up after the next session as well.

Synopsis:

PCs are known as an adventuring group in the starting city and are registered with an adventures guild. Job came down to investigate caravan attacks on the South road. They investigated the information in the city and then decided to take the commission. They found out many things and decided to enter the danger area during the morning hours. They had dug up information on an abandoned tower nearby that had recently become inhabited. They found orc, kobold and skeleton tracks leading to the tower. The groups Rogue was trying to capture the last orc in the patrol line when he stepped on a stick (Rolled terrible on his stealth roll). Amazingly he managed to subdue both orcs that noticed and drag them away while the rest of the patrol moved into the tower. The PCs then used Smoke Cloud to obscure the clearing and moved up to the tower door. It opened and a new patrol stepped out to find the missing ones. The PCs slipped in behind them and battle commenced. They PCs of course won and game had to stop due to time constraints. We shall see what the rest of the tower holds…
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Session 1 of Two-session mini-game

Post by dancross »

Hello old friend (said in my best Ian Mckellen voice), glad to hear the session went well. Did you increase the base Spell Points by x2 or even x3? That would help, although players often forget they can dip into their Resilience to continue casting. In a "low magic" area, that's what happens a lot, and it's kinda exciting and dramatic nearly knocking oneself out cold with a lightning bolt, or whatever. 8)
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Oh, and I remember you saying that scrutiny rolls were very important in your games, and you added some specializations for specifc sensory types. Care to reveal what you did here?
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

dancross wrote:Hello old friend (said in my best Ian Mckellen voice), glad to hear the session went well. Did you increase the base Spell Points by x2 or even x3? That would help, although players often forget they can dip into their Resilience to continue casting. In a "low magic" area, that's what happens a lot, and it's kinda exciting and dramatic nearly knocking oneself out cold with a lightning bolt, or whatever. 8)
Actually I forgot that the updated rules had stated a 2x on that...I will remember to change it for the next session. :oops:
dancross wrote:Oh, and I remember you saying that scrutiny rolls were very important in your games, and you added some specializations for specific sensory types. Care to reveal what you did here?
I found that scrutiny is the base perception check in the system. I didn't change much. I went with a sensory specialization approach instead.

EX:
Scrutinize > Hearing > Movement
Scrutinize > Hearing > Voices
Scrutinize > Smell > Animal
Scrutinize > Smell > Chemicals
Scrutinize > Taste > Food
Scrutinize > Taste > Liquids
Scrutinize > Touch > Man-made
Scrutinize > Touch > Natural
Scrutinize > Vision > Read body language
Scrutinize > Vision > Night
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”