Question about leveling up.

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

stevenoshea
Ill-Fated Peasant

Question about leveling up.

Post by stevenoshea »

When leveling up a character, can you do the following. . . (assume 6 CPs are available)

Original ADC. . .

Melee D8 > Swords D6 > Longsword D4

Can it become. . .

Melee D10 > Swords D8 > Longsword D6 ?

I know you can't increase a stat by more than 1 die type, i.e. Melee could not go from D8 to D12. . . but can you make a one die type increase in each level of an ADC?

Thanks.
stevenoshea
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Question about leveling up.

Post by stevenoshea »

Anyone?. . . Anyone?. . . . Beuller?. . .
EvilCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by EvilCat »

I would thought otherwise, but the stress on "or" on page 6 makes me doubt it. And "otherwise there are no restrictions" makes be doubt some more %) on the other hand, this rule is there to avoid minmaxing, and if you get old_level+2 CP on level up, spending 4-6 of them on one ability branch is just that. "Fighter, do you have any hobbies?"

My vote: you can't raise any ADC by more than one die-rank at level up. IMHO, though.
stevenoshea
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by stevenoshea »

That is the way I'm leaning as well. Thanks for the input. Perhaps Dan can let us know for sure? ;^)
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

It actually depends on the type of game I'm running. If it's a one-shot, I tend to ignore such rules and allow whatever ability the players want. I might give them a number of CPs based on level, or even say "create whatever you've got in mind". If, however, I'm running a long-term campaign, I'd restrict it to one die-rank increase per Ability Branch (aka ADC), and on any tier (basic, specialization, or mastery).

"After character creation, no ability can be increased
more than one step per level of advancement". One step is a single die-rank within an Ability Branch, on any tier.

Again, if we were playing a dungeon crawl adventure, spanning maybe a few weeks, or a one-shot game, I'd suspend such a rule.
stevenoshea
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by stevenoshea »

Thanks Dan!
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

Sorry for the late post, but I ran mine as no more than one raise on a branch as well. It seemed to work out well.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”