Extra-aspect Spells

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

paeterboy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Extra-aspect Spells

Post by paeterboy »

On page 52 of the core rules, under the section labeled "Extra-aspect Spells", what is meant by "the normal range of Aspects"?

And in the example listed, why is the "highest die" relevant? I thought it was the lowest die that is removed when calculating the SP cost of some spells.

Lastly, I don't understand how the example gets the resulting 15 SP cost. Could this example be explained in any more detail?

Thanks,

Paeter
CHRISTIAN SCI-FI AND FANTASY
Unsterilized, Unsafe...Unleashed!
www.spiritblade.net
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Extra-aspect Spells

Post by StormPatriarch »

paeterboy wrote:On page 52 of the core rules, under the section labeled "Extra-aspect Spells", what is meant by "the normal range of Aspects"?

And in the example listed, why is the "highest die" relevant? I thought it was the lowest die that is removed when calculating the SP cost of some spells.

Lastly, I don't understand how the example gets the resulting 15 SP cost. Could this example be explained in any more detail?

Thanks,

Paeter
1. here is part of the previous discusion on this topic:
dancross wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:
dancross wrote:Another note. The normal range of aspects is dictated by the Effect type. Augment and Curse have a larger list of possible aspects than Harm (possible range of only RS and toughness).
I guess this is the part I am having trouble with still. "Any effect that incorporates more aspects than is within its normal range costs x 1.5 in spell points with every casting." How do you know what the "normal range of aspects" is for each effect? I know that Harm spells have 2 aspects from the description and that Augment has 1 aspect according to your previous note in this thread.

Should it be that "Any spell that has more than 1 Aspect from its list of potential Aspects will cost 1.5x the SPs each time it is cast. Harm effect spells are the exception in that they effect resilience and than toughness at no additional cost."?
Yes, that's how it should be stated, to make it clear. Another thing for my "to do" list. ;-)

2&3. this example was brought up before and it came down to a slight confusion in the way it was written. Here is part of the discussion on that:
StormPatriarch wrote:
dunbruha wrote:
StormPatriarch wrote:Player rolls 1d10, 1D8 (or whatever dice allow for the example numbers to occur). The results are a 10 and a 6 which equals 16. He drops the lowest die for his cost as per the SP cost rules which results in a cost of 10 but since lion strike is an extra aspect spell(it effects reflexes and unarmed harm) it costs 1.5x this number so the end cost would be 10 x 1.5 which equals 15.
Yes, this makes sense, assuming only 2 dice were rolled...
Well if more than 2 dice were rolled the wording would have to change again. Since the example states that the highest die left is a 10, that limits the example. Since you only drop the lowest, if 3 dice were rolled the highest would not be the only one to count towards SP cost. To expand to another example you could say the following as well:

PC has Arcanum d8>Mystic Study d6>Enhancements d4: Player rolls 6,4,2. Drop the lowest die (2) for a cost of 10 SPs (6+4). Multiply by 1.5 because lion strike is an extra aspect spell (effects unarmed harm and reflexes) and you get 15 SPs (10 x 1.5 = 15) as the cost again. :)
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”