Saving Throws: official ruling

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Saving Throws: official ruling

Post by dancross »

this keeps Resilience but allows extra player options...

Saving Throws
Whenever the rules allow a harmful effect to bypass a target’s Defense Pool(s), a “Saving Throw” is allowed. This is an opposed roll triggered only by specific circumstances, like some magic effects or unusual types of damage.

A Saving Throw is either forced or invoked. If forced, the situation or attacker “forces” the target to make a Saving Throw. Failing this save often means direct harm to Toughness, or succumbing to some unfortunate condition. If invoked, the defender opts to make a Saving Throw, usually because the needed Defense Pool’s score is at zero.

Common Saving Throws

Arcanists may attempt to bypass their target’s Resilience, thereby “forcing” the defender to make a Saving Throw. Or, lacking any Resilience points, a defender may “invoke” a Saving Throw to better defend himself.

Curse or Obscure spells (spells or spell-like effects that targets a specific Ability): Roll Willpower or Endurance to save (the nature of the spell determines which of these is used)), then the difference is applied to the targeted Ability, as long as the spell is maintained.

5. Harm spells: Roll Reflexes, Endurance, or Willpower to save (the nature of the spell determines which of these is used). If the spell roll exceeds the Ability roll, then the difference is applied to Toughness.

6. Influence spells: Roll Willpower to save. If the spell roll exceeds the Ability roll, then the appropriate Influence effect is applied, as long as the spell is maintained.

7. Poison: Roll poison damage vs. Resistance > Poison. The difference in rolls is applied to Toughness (or to a specific Ability, depending on the nature of the poison).

8. Environmental conditions: Roll environmental damage vs. Endurance. Difference in rolls is applied to Toughness.

9. Traps and Disaster Avoidance: Roll Reflexes or Speed vs Challenge Rank of the trap or danger.

10. Falling damage: Roll Endurance vs. the amount of damage. Difference in rolls is applied to Toughness.

Thank you all, for the ideas. I'll put you in the playtester credits.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Saving Throws: official ruling

Post by dunbruha »

Under what circumstances would an arcanist NOT want to bypass the Resilience of thier target?

[note: sorry, I edited your post by accident -d cross]
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Because, at least with magic spells, forcing a Saving Throw on the target will require a difficulty check for the action, in addition to the opposed roll. If you allow the Resilience DP to kick in automatically, no difficulty roll is needed for the action. That will be a revision to the core rules. As it is, a difficulty check is required for all but Harm spells, but that will be changed. I'm also thinking of ruling that a failed spell costs the spell points (unlike how it is now), but that only becomes a possibility, under the new rule, if the arcanist forces a save.

However, if the target's Resilience DP is already depleted, he can "invoke" a Saving Throw. I'm debating whether invoking the action (rather than it being forced) becomes the defender's main action for the round.

At least, that's what sounds best to me. I get to keep the system as is, while adding a layer that works with everything, increases options, but breaks none of it.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by StormPatriarch »

So this is completely optional right? I would rather not change the game this drastically at this late a date in the game. :)
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

StormPatriarch wrote:So this is completely optional right? I would rather not change the game this drastically at this late a date in the game. :)
Yes, it's optional, layered over the existing rules. It's official in that I'm putting the option into the revised rules document.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”