optional rules for mounted combat

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Hyfaidd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

optional rules for mounted combat

Post by Hyfaidd »

The knight/cavalry occupations have mastery <horse> in their lists. There does not seem to be any effect for having this mastery. So I am proposing this idea as a possible effect:

Horse type...Effects..................................max armor rider wears..(max armor of horse)
Light..........Adds 2 lowest die to speed...........light........................1D4
(no type specificed)

medium.......+lowest tree die to spear charge....medium....................1D6
(Courser)......or versus foot (option: add other low die to speed(?))

heavy..........+2 lowest dice to lance charge.......heavy......................1D8
(Charger)......or versus foot

i.e. The mount Augments (like a spell) a horseman's melee in a charge with the right weapon, or when fighting man-sized foes who are on foot. The warhorse's melee action (bite, kick, knockdown and trample) is the reason for the bonus versus foot.

Yes this make cavalry and knights scary.
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: optional rules for mounted combat

Post by StormPatriarch »

I am liking this option! :D
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Hyfaidd wrote:The knight/cavalry occupations have mastery <horse> in their lists. There does not seem to be any effect for having this mastery. So I am proposing this idea as a possible effect:

Horse type...Effects..................................max armor rider wears..(max armor of horse)
Light..........Adds 2 lowest die to speed...........light........................1D4
(no type specificed)

medium.......+lowest tree die to spear charge....medium....................1D6
(Courser)......or versus foot (option: add other low die to speed(?))

heavy..........+2 lowest dice to lance charge.......heavy......................1D8
(Charger)......or versus foot

i.e. The mount Augments (like a spell) a horseman's melee in a charge with the right weapon, or when fighting man-sized foes who are on foot. The warhorse's melee action (bite, kick, knockdown and trample) is the reason for the bonus versus foot.

Yes this make cavalry and knights scary.
I like the spirit of this. Cavalry were scary indeed, but very cool. And this is perhaps one of the better ideas I've seen on how to simulate the effects of being mounted. Please playtest!

I'd say being on a mount should add something to even regular weapon use, when it's not a spear or lance. Like maybe a +1d4 due to height and momentum advantage?
Hyfaidd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hyfaidd »

The die (dice) verus foot, is to be used with any weapon. But a light horse getting +1D4 is good. (edit: Though +2 circumstance modifier for height advantage workes better)

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”