Bestiary?

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Eisenmann
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Bestiary?

Post by Eisenmann »

I just ran my usual test scenario when running a game for the first time and I gotta say that Eldritch is a lot of fun!

I winged a lot of the enemy stats which was fine but I was wondering if a Bestiary was on the works. It would make running things on the fly even easier.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Bestiary?

Post by dancross »

I would love to see a bestiary! The official campaign setting would be first, and that has some creatures unique to that setting. Right now there is also the "wiki", which you can get to from the www.eldritchrpg.com site. That wiki is quite informal, but it's a great place to brainstorm and share ideas.

A true bestiary and treasure book is "on the table", but it's too early to predict production schedules. ;-)
Jackal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jackal »

Is the wiki still around? I can't find the link to it, but I'm probably looking right over it. lol
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Jackal wrote:Is the wiki still around? I can't find the link to it, but I'm probably looking right over it. lol
No. The website was put together by some volunteers, but they didn't have the time to maintain it, so I felt a poorly maintained website was worse than none at all. The wiki can be recreated using one of the existing free sites (like Wetpaint, etc), but I'd prefer one that was "wysiwyg".
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

So I guess I should have saved local copies of the stuff I put in the wiki... :shock:
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

mythfish wrote:So I guess I should have saved local copies of the stuff I put in the wiki... :shock:
They (the webteam) sent me a compressed file of the wiki...that I can't open. Nothing they sent me worked. I'll contact them again.
Jackal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jackal »

dancross wrote:
Jackal wrote:Is the wiki still around? I can't find the link to it, but I'm probably looking right over it. lol
No. The website was put together by some volunteers, but they didn't have the time to maintain it, so I felt a poorly maintained website was worse than none at all. The wiki can be recreated using one of the existing free sites (like Wetpaint, etc), but I'd prefer one that was "wysiwyg".
Oh well. Again, thanks for the help. I'll just make up my own critters until the monster supplement comes out. :)
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

Jackal wrote:Oh well. Again, thanks for the help. I'll just make up my own critters until the monster supplement comes out. :)
Here's what I use to convert from C&C creatures:

Type: case by case—use judgement

Threat Rating: Primary attack: use damage dice listed for creature + number of Hit Dice + any bonus to damage. Use judgement on other attack categories.

Hit Points: use maximum Hit Dice listed for creature. Don’t forget to account for armor if the creature is wearing it! (use ERP armor values).

Extra Attacks: use judgement, based on creature description.

Resilience: ½ of hit points (full value of hit points if magic-based creature).

Spell Points: n/a [creature will be dead before they are depleted]

Battle Phase: based on movement: 20 = D3; 30 = D4; 40 = D6; 50 = D8.

Notes: use judgement. Any listed bonus to an ability is equivalent to a “+” to the MRV for that ability.

Challenge Score: use HP. Extra attacks add ½ of the HP to CS.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
Jackal wrote:Oh well. Again, thanks for the help. I'll just make up my own critters until the monster supplement comes out. :)
Here's what I use to convert from C&C creatures:

Type: case by case—use judgement

Threat Rating: Primary attack: use damage dice listed for creature + number of Hit Dice + any bonus to damage. Use judgement on other attack categories.

Hit Points: use maximum Hit Dice listed for creature. Don’t forget to account for armor if the creature is wearing it! (use ERP armor values).

Extra Attacks: use judgement, based on creature description.

Resilience: ½ of hit points (full value of hit points if magic-based creature).

Spell Points: n/a [creature will be dead before they are depleted]

Battle Phase: based on movement: 20 = D3; 30 = D4; 40 = D6; 50 = D8.

Notes: use judgement. Any listed bonus to an ability is equivalent to a “+” to the MRV for that ability.

Challenge Score: use HP. Extra attacks add ½ of the HP to CS.
I'd use 1/2 of Primary Threat score instead of 1/2 hit points. Otherwise you get HUGE RS numbers if the HP is modified by size or nature.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:I'd use 1/2 of Primary Threat score instead of 1/2 hit points. Otherwise you get HUGE RS numbers if the HP is modified by size or nature.
But this conversion uses the book value HP of the creatures, which do not get modified by size or nature. So the RS needs to be higher.
Jackal
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Jackal »

Thanks, that looks like good stuff. I'll give it a try when making a few basic creatures and play around with it in my own time. :)

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”