First session experience....

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

First session experience....

Post by StormPatriarch »

One of my regular groups started ERP tonight.

Def were positive about the freedom in character creation. They made some pretty cool characters. A paladin/ranger type, a paladin/knight type and a mystic warrior w/ a weapon type. Pretty cool range though I would have liked a rogue type. :) Unfortunately we didn't get much time to play the game since we had a late start. Not using the quick start adventure for this. Using a home brew world of mine designed using this system. Used some base skills against challenge rating while they were preparing for the adventure. All went very smoothly. I def like the challenge rating system. I am excited to see what a longer running campaign test will reveal.

Hiccups were minor so far:
Got range info from the forums here for bows and such. One player is well versed in weaponry and history so he was somewhat sceptical of the ranges though he admitted that many games use around those same ranges for those weapons. He also wanted a compound horse bow type (I used the long bow ranges and stats in a short bow format for it which he excepted).
Some confusion w/character sheet (See below). The char sheet in the book was great for space but we decided to use the sheet from here instead. It is def an improvement over the other ones offered at the game site for use by new players.

Some character sheet upgrade thoughts were suggested:
Space for ranges for ranged weapons.
Less space for Arcanum ADCs and more for spells.
SP box having its explanation of how it is arrived at (Arcanum tree MRV) like the other pools that are calculated.
Standardizing the language used. (Manifestation used in book, form on character sheet as an example).
Spacing for spells seemed a mite off. Not enough room for aspects but too much for School, Source or Form as examples.
The addition signs on the Spec Mastery SP part of the magic sheet seemed to be in a odd place, having the power source on the opposite side of the addition sign from its die type caused some confusion especially since the ability sheet doesn't do this.

We did not make it into combat due to the late start so any comments on that will have to wait till next session.

All in all going good so far, and I can't wait to continue the adventure! Will post again after next session.
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: First session experience....

Post by dancross »

StormPatriarch wrote:One of my regular groups started ERP tonight.
Hello friend! Thank you for posting here!
Def were positive about the freedom in character creation. They made some pretty cool characters. A paladin/ranger type, a paladin/knight type and a mystic warrior w/ a weapon type. Pretty cool range though I would have liked a rogue type. :) Unfortunately we didn't get much time to play the game since we had a late start. Not using the quick start adventure for this. Using a home brew world of mine designed using this system. Used some base skills against challenge rating while they were preparing for the adventure. All went very smoothly. I def like the challenge rating system. I am excited to see what a longer running campaign test will reveal.
Did they use the occupational guidelines, or make up their own?
Got range info from the forums here for bows and such. One player is well versed in weaponry and history so he was somewhat sceptical of the ranges though he admitted that many games use around those same ranges for those weapons. He also wanted a compound horse bow type (I used the long bow ranges and stats in a short bow format for it which he excepted).
Tell your friend to submit his ideas of improved ranges here, or to email me directly. I'm extremely open to new ideas or differing opinions.
Some character sheet upgrade thoughts were suggested:
Space for ranges for ranged weapons.
Less space for Arcanum ADCs and more for spells.
SP box having its explanation of how it is arrived at (Arcanum tree MRV) like the other pools that are calculated.
Standardizing the language used. (Manifestation used in book, form on character sheet as an example).
Spacing for spells seemed a mite off. Not enough room for aspects but too much for School, Source or Form as examples.
The addition signs on the Spec Mastery SP part of the magic sheet seemed to be in a odd place, having the power source on the opposite side of the addition sign from its die type caused some confusion especially since the ability sheet doesn't do this.
Thank you for this feedback!
All in all going good so far, and I can't wait to continue the adventure! Will post again after next session.
Goddamn it I want to play!!!!! :evil:
StormPatriarch
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: First session experience....

Post by StormPatriarch »

dancross wrote:Did they use the occupational guidelines, or make up their own?
They did though they are more "on the path" then actual occupation yet... :)
"I am the soul of honor, kindness, mercy, and goodness. Trust me in all things." Corwin to Dara, The Guns of Avalon

"...I was the lesser evil." --Bleys to Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”