Sacrifice question

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Sacrifice question

Post by dunbruha »

A question about the Sacrifice combat maneuvers:
The book states "A character may reinstate the sacrificed Die-Ranks after combat ends, or after 10 minutes of rest, whichever happens first." I can't think of a situation when 10 minutes of rest would happen before the end of combat. Or am I interpreting this wrong?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Sacrifice question

Post by mythfish »

In a huge battle of armies dragging on all day, someone might play dead for 10 minutes?
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

mythfish wrote:In a huge battle of armies dragging on all day, someone might play dead for 10 minutes?
Well, yea. But "combat" (i.e., rounds) wouldn't last 10 minutes...
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
mythfish wrote:In a huge battle of armies dragging on all day, someone might play dead for 10 minutes?
Well, yea. But "combat" (i.e., rounds) wouldn't last 10 minutes...
:lol:

Oh yes, that tactic worked well when I played that Narnia opossum warrior...

I'll just strike that wording out. I might have been thinking "10 minutes or when the characters escape the dangerous environment", but backed off from that phrasing and changed it to "when combat ends".

I remember those computer games that wouldn't allow you to sleep or rest until you were "out of the danger zone" (Curse of the Azure Bonds, and other SSI games of early 90s). That sucked.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:I remember those computer games that wouldn't allow you to sleep or rest until you were "out of the danger zone" (Curse of the Azure Bonds, and other SSI games of early 90s). That sucked.
Yes I remember those. There were way too many times that I got [fatally] ambushed trying to make it back to safety. Fun game, though.
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:I'll just strike that wording out. I might have been thinking "10 minutes or when the characters escape the dangerous environment", but backed off from that phrasing and changed it to "when combat ends".
Actually, that time limit might be useful in non-combat situations (i.e, traps). So rather than "when combat ends", say "after 10 minutes of rest". Because even after combat is over, the PCs could still be in a stressful situation with no opportunity to "rest". And having a time limit would make potential-harm damage from traps actually dangerous (if combat immediately follows :twisted: ).

[EDIT: After thinking some more about this, I guess the time limit would be moot because of the revitalize option. Otherwise, the time limit could be applied to the replentishment of all ADPs, wheter or not sacrifice was used. In actual play, how often is revitalize used in combat?]
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

dunbruha wrote:
dancross wrote:I'll just strike that wording out. I might have been thinking "10 minutes or when the characters escape the dangerous environment", but backed off from that phrasing and changed it to "when combat ends".
Actually, that time limit might be useful in non-combat situations (i.e, traps). So rather than "when combat ends", say "after 10 minutes of rest". Because even after combat is over, the PCs could still be in a stressful situation with no opportunity to "rest". And having a time limit would make potential-harm damage from traps actually dangerous (if combat immediately follows :twisted: ).

[EDIT: After thinking some more about this, I guess the time limit would be moot because of the revitalize option. Otherwise, the time limit could be applied to the replentishment of all ADPs, wheter or not sacrifice was used. In actual play, how often is revitalize used in combat?]
I've yet to see somebody use revitalize in combat because it would mean sacrificing an attack. If I were playing a mage and had enough backup I could see myself using the option. I'll have to ask my playtesters if any of their characters used it.

But the revitalize option does not give back full points anyway. It's a random roll, and it takes a round.

Some traps are nasty, like affecting ADPS as if they were half their max value...

There is an article in the works on this... :twisted:
dunbruha
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by dunbruha »

dancross wrote:I've yet to see somebody use revitalize in combat because it would mean sacrificing an attack. If I were playing a mage and had enough backup I could see myself using the option. I'll have to ask my playtesters if any of their characters used it.

But the revitalize option does not give back full points anyway. It's a random roll, and it takes a round.
But if it is not used in combat, when is it used? All ADPs are restored after combat, true?
That was why I was thinking that if all ADPs were not immediately restored, but required some rest (10 min), then P-H dealing traps would become more effective.
dancross wrote:Some traps are nasty, like affecting ADPS as if they were half their max value...

There is an article in the works on this... :twisted:
Looking forward to it!
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

But if it is not used in combat, when is it used? All ADPs are restored after combat, true?
That was why I was thinking that if all ADPs were not immediately restored, but required some rest (10 min), then P-H dealing traps would become more effective.
You're correct. The Revitalize option would be used in combat...I guess I play reckless NPCs! As a player, given a chance to stand out for a round, I'd use it.

I also agree with you about traps. I've been thinking about "danger zones", conditions outside of combat that trigger special conditions on the use of ADPs. If you have any ideas on that, I'm all ears! :D
kragar00
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kragar00 »

dunbruha wrote: [EDIT: After thinking some more about this, I guess the time limit would be moot because of the revitalize option. Otherwise, the time limit could be applied to the replentishment of all ADPs, wheter or not sacrifice was used. In actual play, how often is revitalize used in combat?]
Actually, in my playtest revitalize was used fairly often.... But I think that's because I beat the heck out of my characters...
It was most often used when an adversary had completely depleted at least 1 ADP (and usually severly depleted others) and was dealing toughness damage. The players knew they were in dire straights at that point and would take a breather after they killed an adversary before jumping back into the thick of things to help their friends out...
If they were unable to kill the adversary, they occasionally set up a distraction (sometimes another PC) so they could take a moment to revitalize...

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”