Updated PDF's

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

Warren1965
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Updated PDF's

Post by Warren1965 »

Hey Dan,
I was surprised ERP was updated and then psyched to see you were doing a kickstarter revised version. As much as I like ERP it never caught on with my group and I had kind of forgot about it. With the kickstarter as a reminder I dug it out and am seriously thinking about trying it with the Google+ group I play with as we are coming up on a break from ACKS. What changed in the latest PDFs? I am asking because a small lazy part of me wants it to be the covers so I don't have to flounder around trying to find it in a PDF when I much prefer dead tree.

Warren

PS. I almost put this under the perceive topic as that was the death blow to ERP with the live group. A player used perceive to send one of his eyes ahead while still tethered by its optic nerve disgusting and ridiculous in one.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Updated PDF's

Post by dancross »

Hi! the pdfs were only updated to inform people about the Kickstarter for a complete revised edition. I have some surprise announcements soon...

Your live group quit the game after the "perceive" effect took the gross out form described? Lol
Warren1965
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Warren1965 »

Not so much the gross out as spell design degenerated from there, armor to butter which also heated the casters sword and others. I am not terribly serious about my hobby but I didn't want to run a WB cartoon show either. The Dungeon and Dragons cartoon or Thundar would work. You know Eldritch might be an excellent choice for Thundar somewhere I saw someone doing a Fudge/Fate adaptation but I don't play that so it was hard for me to grasp.

Curse You! Now I will have to research Thundar on YouTube and see what I can come up with :)

Warren

PS I have also thought about Traveller ERP you really did come up with an awesome idea for a system the GM just needs an ability list and an idea of what powers fit the setting and the rest is up to the players.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

You can control the available spell lists ya know :-). On the other hand, the improvised magic option is fun. I do see the comedy in sword to butter. Must have been the Nefarious Muffin Mage.
Warren1965 wrote:Not so much the gross out as spell design degenerated from there, armor to butter which also heated the casters sword and others. I am not terribly serious about my hobby but I didn't want to run a WB cartoon show either. The Dungeon and Dragons cartoon or Thundar would work. You know Eldritch might be an excellent choice for Thundar somewhere I saw someone doing a Fudge/Fate adaptation but I don't play that so it was hard for me to grasp.

Curse You! Now I will have to research Thundar on YouTube and see what I can come up with :)

Warren

PS I have also thought about Traveller ERP you really did come up with an awesome idea for a system the GM just needs an ability list and an idea of what powers fit the setting and the rest is up to the players.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Oh, and I will be expanding the spell lists too.

dancross wrote:You can control the available spell lists ya know :-). On the other hand, the improvised magic option is fun. I do see the comedy in sword to butter. Must have been the Nefarious Muffin Mage.
Warren1965 wrote:Not so much the gross out as spell design degenerated from there, armor to butter which also heated the casters sword and others. I am not terribly serious about my hobby but I didn't want to run a WB cartoon show either. The Dungeon and Dragons cartoon or Thundar would work. You know Eldritch might be an excellent choice for Thundar somewhere I saw someone doing a Fudge/Fate adaptation but I don't play that so it was hard for me to grasp.

Warren

Warren1965
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Warren1965 »

Our group has been playing together for 34 years and we know each other fairly well. Unfortunately given a rule set allowing flexibility it gets taken to extremes and then arguments about it being in the rules by which point there is no point to playing. Not really a complaint I am lucky to have a group of friends for that long, much less ones who game. WOTC doesn't make a bad game but I have no interest in trying to run the one they do as it is way to much work. OSR isn't hard to run but the staggering mortality causes problems if you want to run a campaign arc, before to long no character that started the story is still alive. It is what I like about ERP it is easy to run, the characters aren't likely to die unless the players deserve their fate and better yet literally what ever someone wants to play they can.
Unfortunately you need everyone to at least agree on the basic kind of game if comedy is the central role and everyone is good with it so be it, if not then the game grinds to a halt. I am no paragon of unending cooperation in this myself they enjoy Paranoia and I can't stand the basic setting probably as they are better at screwing me over than I am at screwing them but I won't even play. Is there something wrong with Paranoia? absolutely not I just don't want to play it.

So it isn't ERP or its magic system it is a lack of us reaching a balance that all of us where happy with. I can live with that and I recently also play with a google+ group so I can try again. And looking briefly at Thundarr I may make an effort to come up with the ERP adaptation it is a unique concept of the future to say the least.

Warren
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Well, good luck on all your quests, whatever the system you use! ;-)

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”