New Fantasy RPG?

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

New Fantasy RPG?

Post by moriarty777 »

Just saw the Q1 Releases for 2008 and "Eldritch" caught my eye. Unfortunately there is little else besides the brief blurb! It looks like a classless system... which is cool... but can someone give us a bit more?

M
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: New Fantasy RPG?

Post by dancross »

moriarty777 wrote:Just saw the Q1 Releases for 2008 and "Eldritch" caught my eye. Unfortunately there is little else besides the brief blurb! It looks like a classless system... which is cool... but can someone give us a bit more?

M
Greetings and Happy New Year!

I’m glad to see the preview caught your eye. Soon you’ll see a forum dedicated to the game, and I’ll be providing more detailed information there soon. Meanwhile, I’ll provide a brief overview here.

As you noted, it is a classless system; characters are built by choosing any combination of abilities. Beginning characters are created using character points, and are granted additional points to improve abilities as they earn levels. Occupation is presented as an option for additional direction. The system avoids dictating scores like Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, so you’ll play exactly the character you wish. Basically you’ll create any hero you want to play.

Eldritch Role-Playing (ERP) encourages fast-paced action, the rules structured to provide narrative detail. Featured are easy but detailed rules for combat, where interpretive power is shared by GM and players. The game neither micromanages battle or makes things too open-ended, as in “rock paper scissors”.

ERP reformulates the familiar, placing adventurers into a limitless realm, a "GM’s playground"* called Áinereve. In these lands masters of magic can cast any spell, and evoke any power. But like combat, the game mechanics of magic are simple and detailed, allowing player choices as well as GM improvisation.

The action resolution system is unified, and intuitive, without endless modifiers or charts. I’ll be working on explaining the system in more depth, and giving examples, when we get the dedicated forum going.

Still, ask away, for even if I end up repeating myself in both places, that’s okay.

* I say "GMs playground" because in a world of dream and vast "unsettled land", it's easy to insert entire kingdoms of ones own design. One does not have to memorize vast reams of information to play in Ainereve.
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

dancross wrote:Greetings and Happy New Year!

I’m glad to see the preview caught your eye. Soon you’ll see a forum dedicated to the game, and I’ll be providing more detailed information there soon. Meanwhile, I’ll provide a brief overview here.
A Happy New Year to you (and everybody else here) as well! Thanks for taking the time to give a few answers and inviting more questions...

I'm going to try and avoid the standard pitfall of making comparisons between various game systems and should one come up, it is only with the end of understanding a concept or mechanic. Already though, it would seem that the game deviates from some of the popular systems which is always a good thing.

You mention the system avoids ability scores such as Intelligence, Wisdom, etc... and you also mention an avoidance to the endless myriad of modifiers to a unified game mechanic --

Would that mean that the abilities that you 'buy' are going to be made up of powers (or spell like abilities), skills in various weapons or combat like abilities, and other things to round up the type of adventurer a player is looking for?

Would ability scores (as seen in various other systems) be removed completely or act as a mere base to the Abilities/Powers/Skills that you put points in?

One big question (and I don't know how much you want to let out of the bag)... is the unified mechanic based on a single die or die-type mechanic (such as d10, d20, percentile, etc) or some sort of dice-pool mechanic?

Thanks again!

M
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Hey Dan!

I've enjoyed all the other products of yours that I have and I am looking forward to seeing this new system.

I'll let Moriarty777 ask the questions for us.

Can't wait to see a sample.
John Adams
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Eldritch

Post by joela »

Thanks for posting the query, mortiary777. Discovered the new rpg myself and was about to submit my question.

dancross, how much support from GG shall we be expecting for the new game? Will there be modules? Expanded campaign settings? Translations options (ie., translating a DCC module to Eldritch)?
What do you mean no?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

moriarty777 wrote:
dancross wrote:Greetings and Happy New Year!
I'm going to try and avoid the standard pitfall of making comparisons between various game systems and should one come up, it is only with the end of understanding a concept or mechanic. Already though, it would seem that the game deviates from some of the popular systems which is always a good thing.
Hello again. It's early in the morning here, but I figured I'd keep the conversation going before dropping into bed. I agree, it's hard to avoid the pitfall of comparison, in part because it's fun to compare. :lol: But yes, I do feel that ERP deviates from popular systems. This is mostly in regard to how characters are devised and action resolved.
Would that mean that the abilities that you 'buy' are going to be made up of powers (or spell like abilities), skills in various weapons or combat like abilities, and other things to round up the type of adventurer a player is looking for?
The abilities include all skills and capacities, from things learned to innate powers. There is a basic ability list, and those abilities are generally ranked from D4 up through D12. One may specialize in those abilities, adding a die-rank, and then further seek mastery, adding a third tier to the dice pool. For example, one may take Agility (basic) > Acrobatics (specialized focus) > Falling (mastered sub-ability).
Would ability scores (as seen in various other systems) be removed completely or act as a mere base to the Abilities/Powers/Skills that you put points in?
Natural talents and capacities of characters are subsumed under the main ability list. The only scores in the game derivative of abilities are the various "defense pools" which form the basis for action scenes.
One big question (and I don't know how much you want to let out of the bag)... is the unified mechanic based on a single die or die-type mechanic (such as d10, d20, percentile, etc) or some sort of dice-pool mechanic?
The mechanic is based on ascending die-ranks, tiered into a basic > specialization > mastery format. For many contests, a basic "opposed roll" may be called for, which is a familiar mechanic to say the least. For more combative scenes the game uses the mechanics of Potential-Harm versus Defense pools. I'll post an entry that goes into greater detail on that over the weekend, though ask away anyway, I've got plenty to talk about. ;-)
Last edited by dancross on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Eldritch

Post by dancross »

joela wrote:Thanks for posting the query, mortiary777. Discovered the new rpg myself and was about to submit my question.

dancross, how much support from GG shall we be expecting for the new game? Will there be modules? Expanded campaign settings? Translations options (ie., translating a DCC module to Eldritch)?
Hello! We have the core book already in layout. There's also a campaign setting that's in design but not yet scheduled with a firm release date. From there, we have some ideas, but we'll listen to the fans and let their interest and feedback tell us where to go.
mr.float
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mr.float »

Can you give some kind of example for the core mechanic?

And what can be found inside the corebook?
How many monsters or rules for monster creation?
Any example how magic works?
How much information does a character consist of?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

the Core Mechanic

Post by dancross »

mr.float wrote:Can you give some kind of example for the core mechanic?
The core mechanic is based on die-ranks. For any single ability, die type corresponds to “rank,.” The more sides on the die, the higher the rank. Ability ranks normally progress from D4 through D12. This is the “die-rank.” Many in-game calculations require the highest possible number rolled on a die-rank. This number is the Maximum Rank Value, abbreviated MRV. A single broad ability can branch off into several narrower focuses, each branch represented by up to two additional dice, with each die representing successive tiers of ability. There are up to three tiers of ability in any one branch, beginning with the root ability, called basic. Next is Specialization, and Mastery, respectively.

Examples of ability use follow:

Arm wreslting contest:

Contestant 1: possesses "Feats of Strength" D6.
Contestant 2: possesses "Feats of Strength" at the default D4.
Both rolls the die-rank corresponding to their ability. They compare rolls, the higher roll wins (only in truly threatening circumstances to defenders win ties).

Attempt to Hurt an Opponent:

Fighter 1: Has Melee D6 (the basic ability to swing things with deadly force), and is specialized in Bludgeons at D4.

Swordsman: Has Melee (the basic ability to swing things with deadly force) D4, Swords weapon group at D8, and "long sword" specifically at D4.

round 1: Fighter 1 swings a tree branch, rolls 1D6 + 1D4 and generates 8 "threat points".
The swordman announces he is using his "evade" defense pool, subtracts 8 points that score and sidesteps the attack.

The Swordsman swings, rolling D4+D8+D4 (+3 threat points due to sword type), and gets the result of 13 (plus 3), for a total of 16 threat points. The fighter uses his "Weaponry" Defense Pool to defend, but only had 10 points in that score. 6 threat points penetrate to his leather armor. The player rolls 1D6 for his leather armor, gets a 6, and breathes a sigh of relief. His "toughness" defense is untouched.

Attempt to Disarm: The swordsman tires of the the battle so annouces his intention to disarm, rolls his D4+D8+D4 (or stated as 2D4+1D8), and rolls 13. His opponent rolls his D6+D4, and cannot exceed 10 points even with his best roll, so is disarmed. The GM may instead choose to conduct the attempt as a "threat points" versus "Weaponry" defense pool, but it works either way.

Attempt to scale a wall: Static opposition happens when there is no active, living opponent, such as when a character is trying to climb a wall; obviously, the wall is not trying to push the character off. For ability checks of this type, the Game Master will assign an appropriate Challenge Rank. The challenge will correspond to a number of dice used in an opposition roll. The result of that roll is the “target number” that must be matched or exceeded with a roll of the PC’s relevant ADC (ability-dice-chain). In this case the GM decides the wall is hard to climb and announces the character must roll his Climbing ability to meet or exceed a random roll vs. 2D6.
Last edited by dancross on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

mr.float wrote: And what can be found inside the corebook?
Any example how magic works?
How much information does a character consist of?
Inside the corebook are rules for character generation (including abilities descriptions, equipment, generic races info, etc.), action resolution (describing the die-rank system), combat, magic (including magic item creation), NPC and Monster creation, and then GM stuff like a character sheet (which I'd also intend to have available as a download).

The magic system is simple and fun to use, with combat related spells operating in the same way as melee attacks. Magic is no different in how ability is handled. Arcanum is the basic, restricted ability, meaning characters must train in the art before attempting any feat related to it. Basic knowledge in Arcanum allows knowledge of all magic in general, whatever the source. Specializations are in sources of magic power. There are different sources of power; mystic study, supernatural awareness, primordial connection, and psychogenic ability. Schools of magic are related to those sources of power. Wizards, alchemists and artificers are masters of mystic study. Theurgists and Sorcerers are masters of the supernatural. Druids and Elementalists are adepts of the primordial connection. Telepaths and pyschokinetic characters are powerful masters of the mind. All spells in the game are based on twelve basic Effects: Augment, Conjure/Banish, Curse, Fortify, Harm, Influence, Obscure, Perceive, Protect, Restore, Travel, and Transmute. The method of spell casting depends on the power source, with certain very powerful spells perhaps requiring special rituals or items, but the GM decides in those situations. ERP uses only twelve basic spell types, each flexible enough in their rules to simulate any fantasy spell, either through improvisation (useful for GMs) or spell lists. A mage wishes to paralyze an opponent? Easier said than done, but the arcanist would simply roll his related ability dice, representing Potential Harm to the victim, and should those threat points exceed the target's "Resilience" ability, the victim becomes frozen in place. The arcanist can maintain the spell after the first round with concentration and spell point expenditure. However, there are no instant death spells.

How much information goes into a character? Well, every character has access to most basic abilities at D4 rank. Then, one would jot down specalizations and masteries on the character sheet. For most actions that's most of the information needed. Here are some examples of skill successions (just a sample, without assigned die-ranks):

Animal Handling > Wild Animals > Wolves, deer
Handicraft > Cobbling > Boots, slippers, shoes
Endurance * > Pain > Physical, elemental, torture
Feats of Strength > Lifting & Carrying > Lifting, carrying, holding
Investigation > Scholarly > Specific academic field
Resistance * > Magic resistance > Specific source
Skullduggery > Sleight of Hand > Holdout, conceal

Then, in addition to all of the common stuff like race, gender, background, equipment, etc, you'd want to work out the details for action scenes. Here's a quote of a sample dwarven fighter right out of the book:

Melee D8 > Axes D4

Ranged D4 (automatic)

Unarmed D4 (automatic)

His Specialization with the axe grants him +2 points to damage, and a +1 to initiative in battle when using his 1-handed combat axe. The melee ability “branches” out to form an “ability-dice-chain” of Melee and Axes. Whenever he rolls an attack using an axe, he rolls an ADC of D8+D4, and adds whatever weapon modifiers are applicable.

Arcanum D4 > Primordial D4. Whenever Gegdin casts a spell, he rolls an ADC of 2D4, either to determine magical effects or to compare the results against opposing dice rolls. Likewise, if there is a spell that inflicts Potential-Harm (see Glossary or Combat section), he rolls 2D4 to determine the results. He knows two spells: Strength of the Earth and Stone Hide.

His defense pools are as follows:

Active DPs (ADPs)

Weaponry: Melee Ability Tree = 12 hit points, representing defensive skill with weaponry.

Evade: Reflexes + Agility + Pugilism (Specialization) = 8 hit points. Gegdin does not possess skill in the Specialization of Pugilism, and has only average rank in the unrestricted abilities of Reflexes (D4) and Agility (D4).

Dodge: Speed + Agility = 8 hit points. Gegdin possesses only the automatically granted, average rank in both speed and agility.

Deflect: Base Melee MRV + Shield + Magic = 8 hit points. Although the dwarf typically holds no shield, he has enough combat knowledge to pick up random objects and use them as impromptu shields, if he desires.

Passive DPs (PDPs)

Toughness: Endurance×2 + Resistance = 18 hit points. The dwarf has a minimum of D6 for each of these categories, and is therefore tougher than the average human is.

Resilience: Resistance×2 + Willpower + Arcanum tree = 26 hit points. Gegdin’s Resistance is respectable, his Willpower average. He would have a score of 16 if not for his ability and Specialization in Arcanum, which adds up to a total score of 26 Resilience points.

His chain mail armor affords him between 1 to 8 points of protection (1d8) versus any attack that exceeds the hit points of his chosen Active Defense.

...note I'll cover monster and NPC generation in a post coming soon.
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

Dancross, thank you very, very much for this information. After enjoying Goodman Games' products so much, I'm really, really looking forward to ERP.

I have 3 questions:

1)Is it still on track for February?

2)Any plans to convert over any DCC's?

3)Are Magic points required to cast spells or simply maintain them?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Sunsword wrote:Dancross, thank you very, very much for this information. After enjoying Goodman Games' products so much, I'm really, really looking forward to ERP.

I have 3 questions:

1)Is it still on track for February?

2)Any plans to convert over any DCC's?

3)Are Magic points required to cast spells or simply maintain them?
Hello!

1) I believe so, yes. I've been told it will probably hit shelves by March.

2) I'd imagine that if the core rules do well Goodman would consider whatever the fan base demands, but I'll have to wait and see. I do know that Goodman are well known for their adventures, so the possibilities are exciting...

3) Spell points are required to cast spells and to maintain some types of effects. If an arcanist runs out of spell points he may dip into his own Resilience Defense (hitpoint) Pool to supplement, at the risk of passing out (and making himself more vulnerable to certain nasty magic effects).
Dragonhelm
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Dragonhelm »

Will Goodman still be producing d20/4e-compatible products, or will all your fantasy products go to this system?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->
Wyrmshadows
Gongfarmer

Will Eldritch Role Playing be OGL?

Post by Wyrmshadows »

You have me interested.

Will the system be OGL or something similar so that publishers/individuals can build their own settings or supplements for the system? This interests me because I am writing up a setting and want to find a ruleset that would most fit its flavor.

Wyrmshadows
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Will Eldritch Role Playing be OGL?

Post by dancross »

Wyrmshadows wrote:You have me interested.

Will the system be OGL or something similar so that publishers/individuals can build their own settings or supplements for the system? This interests me because I am writing up a setting and want to find a ruleset that would most fit its flavor.

Wyrmshadows
I'll answer this question and "Will Goodman still be producing d20/4e-compatible products, or will all your fantasy products go to this system?" in one response.

ERP will not be the only fantasy game that Goodman supports, it's safe to say.

The system is not OGL, although Eldritch is designed to be instantly compatible with anything approaching "classic" fantasy game settings. We have a campaign setting in the wings that is also strongly focused on encouraging GMs to incorporate their own styles and preferences. Customizing ERP is easy, whether it's for unique races or new powers and abilities (I admit that statement can only be proven by individual experience).
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

dancross wrote:
3) Spell points are required to cast spells and to maintain some types of effects. If an arcanist runs out of spell points he may dip into his own Resilience Defense (hitpoint) Pool to supplement, at the risk of passing out (and making himself more vulnerable to certain nasty magic effects).
Ah, ok. How often do Spell Points & Active Defenses refresh?
I'm hoping its rather quickly after an Action Scene is over, since I prefer those type of powers over "per day".

Also, I realize it can be daunting to make a ruleset OGL, but man, just the small bits I've seen make ERP look like a really good candidate! Either way I've already preordered 2 copies from my FLGS.
Wyrmshadows
Gongfarmer

Post by Wyrmshadows »

dancross wrote:The system is not OGL, although Eldritch is designed to be instantly compatible with anything approaching "classic" fantasy game settings. We have a campaign setting in the wings that is also strongly focused on encouraging GMs to incorporate their own styles and preferences. Customizing ERP is easy, whether it's for unique races or new powers and abilities (I admit that statement can only be proven by individual experience).
It's great that the system will be compatible with anything approaching classic fantasy for the homebrewer DM (which I am). However, what I would like to know is that if I find this system appropriate for the setting I am writing in hopes of publishing, will the rule set be something that I can use for the mechanical elements of the setting.

If it isn't OGL, then will it, like True20, be available for licensing?

Wyrmshadows
Last edited by Wyrmshadows on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Sunsword wrote: Ah, ok. How often do Spell Points & Active Defenses refresh?
I'm hoping its rather quickly after an Action Scene is over, since I prefer those type of powers over "per day".
A character will find all of his Active Defenses fully refreshed and at 100% after officially escaping or ending combat. There are also rules that allow for a lesser "refresh" by standing out for a round of combat. Spellpoints replenish at a rate of 10% every hour of waking, or 20% each hour of sleep (always round up). It allows for dramatic effect when spellcasters choose to dip into their own Resilience hitpoint pools to continue casting spells. Honestly it wouldn't break the game to refresh spell points quickly either, but there it is. ;-)
Also, I realize it can be daunting to make a ruleset OGL, but man, just the small bits I've seen make ERP look like a really good candidate! Either way I've already preordered 2 copies from my FLGS.
I actually thought we'd design ERP as OGL years ago, but I was talked out of it by my co-author and a developer named Larry Hols. It really is dissimilar enough to D20 that there was no point in attempting to take the OGL angle. However, conversion from popular systems is pretty quick. I'll be going over that more in my next designer's blog entry. ;-)
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Magic

Post by joela »

dancross wrote:
joela wrote:Thanks for posting the query, mortiary777. Discovered the new rpg myself and was about to submit my question.

Hello! We have the core book already in layout. There's also a campaign setting that's in design but not yet scheduled with a firm release date. From there, we have some ideas, but we'll listen to the fans and let their interest and feedback tell us where to go.
Thanks. Can't wait to see how the magic system. Will it be low, mid, or high-level magic play? Or is the level of magic involvement dependent on the GM?
What do you mean no?
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Wyrmshadows wrote:If it isn't OGL, then will it, like True20, be available for licensing?
Oh, you meant OGL in a more general sense. Goodman is my sole publisher right now. Of course, partnerships are not uncommon in this industry (for example, Goodman's support of C&C adventures, among others)...but it's really just too early to tell from my perspective. In short, it's not "open" from the outset. :wink:
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

dancross wrote:
A character will find all of his Active Defenses fully refreshed and at 100% after officially escaping or ending combat. There are also rules that allow for a lesser "refresh" by standing out for a round of combat. Spellpoints replenish at a rate of 10% every hour of waking, or 20% each hour of sleep (always round up). It allows for dramatic effect when spellcasters choose to dip into their own Resilience hitpoint pools to continue casting spells. Honestly it wouldn't break the game to refresh spell points quickly either, but there it is. ;-)
Refresh rates sound excellent for my playstyle. I'm really, really looking forward to this game & thank you again for all the preview & answers.

I understand your perspective on the OGL front, but that 5K Preview Kit price for the 4th Edition of that Other Game could be an oppurtunity in the making :)
EytanBernstein
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by EytanBernstein »

I think people will be really impressed by the final result.
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

The questions and answers posed in this relatively short span have only served to increase my interest. Sounds like a great little game I'm anxious to see how versatile it will end up being.

Thankfully February is a relatively short wait away!

:D

M
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Magic

Post by dancross »

joela wrote: Thanks. Can't wait to see how the magic system. Will it be low, mid, or high-level magic play? Or is the level of magic involvement dependent on the GM?
I'd say mid-level magic play if from gut reaction, but that might mean different things to different players. The magic system allows for powerful effects, but few of those spells can take instant hold over a character. Still, there's nothing like instant death spells or uber-powerful "wish" spells, because those would not be in the spirit of the game. I like the magic level as depicted in the ol' 80s movie "Dragonslayer", if that helps.
Beltaine
Gongfarmer

Post by Beltaine »

Excellent, Dragonslayer is one of my all-time favourite fantasy movies.

Well this game is intrigueing enough I signed up for the forum, so good you you dancross, you've made one more believer.

The system sound simple enough to be easy to teach/learn and intriciate enough to keep your interest. Hoping for more information soon (and of course the release in March).

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”