How to Write Adventures that Don't Suck (Digital Initiative)

A forum for discussing how to design adventure modules. This will provide a place to follow up on conversations at our Gen Con seminar on adventure writing.

Moderator: finarvyn

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

How to Write Adventures that Don't Suck (Digital Initiative)

Post by Warduke »

i had the good fortune of getting to attend this seminar but i was late, so i ended up standing in the back. does anyone have a scan of the handout?
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Glad you could make the seminar!
We were only expecting X number of attendees, but over twice as many people showed up, so handouts were in short supply.

I've got a copy of the original Word document that the handout was printed from...if you like, drop me a PM with your email address and I can get it to you.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

that's awesome. i'll send a pm.

btw. GREAT work on castle whiterock. the box set is amazing. its like a band of gamers got together and said to themselves, "all the other mega dungeons suck. how could we make one that rocks?"

and then after the successful rocking you guys added more. thnak you!

can you tell us how you went about doing the design for whiterock (the ultimate not-suck adventure?)
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

Jengenritz wrote:Glad you could make the seminar!
We were only expecting X number of attendees, but over twice as many people showed up, so handouts were in short supply.

I've got a copy of the original Word document that the handout was printed from...if you like, drop me a PM with your email address and I can get it to you.
I'll PM you, because I'd like that handout as well. I didn't attend because when I was trying to sign up at Event Registration they said the event was full. It sounds like it would have been pretty cramped if I went anyway.

Maybe you can save it as a pdf and put it up on the website?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Here's a PDF of the seminar handout:

http://www.goodman-games.com/downloads/ ... ntSuck.pdf
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

can you tell us how you went about doing the design for whiterock (the ultimate not-suck adventure?)
Absolutely!
I've been kinda MIA on the Adventure Design thread because Chronicle of the Fiend was monopolizing my time, but as soon as the final edits go out (this week) I'll start posting some backstage-pass love.

And thanks for the praise! Feel free to post comments (etc.) on the Castle Whiterock thread...let others know how the mega-adventure (and city, and gaz, and everything else) strikes you.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Warduke wrote:GREAT work on castle whiterock. the box set is amazing. its like a band of gamers got together and said to themselves, "all the other mega dungeons suck. how could we make one that rocks?"

and then after the successful rocking you guys added more.
Darn you and your big-assed scary looking shield! I wasn't able to go, so I have to wait for my Whiterock Loooooooooove Box. I wanna read all about the rocking-est dungeon yet!!

(white rock--? so it's crack cocaine?)
Jengenritz

Post by Jengenritz »

I started a thread on the writing of Whiterock, thusly:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2486

GustavBertram
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Outer Limits

Re: How to Write Adventures that Don't Suck (Digital Initiat

Post by GustavBertram »

I see there's an expanded edition of How To Write Adventures That Don't Suck in hardcopy. What about a PDF edition of the book?

I've read the PDF of the previous edition, and it was fantastic. I'd like more.

Return to “Adventure Design”