Xcrawl, 4th Ed, and the Eclectic Collection

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

whitewynd
Gongfarmer

Xcrawl, 4th Ed, and the Eclectic Collection

Post by whitewynd »

Hi everyone who still traffics the Xcrawl forums. I wanted to post a little something about the Xcrawl game I'm currently DJing.
For starters, when our game was first being put together, my group asked if I was okay running a "every so often" 4th ed D&D game. How I responded was, "Only if you want to play Xcrawl." To which, they stared blankly at me, but accepted.
So, I've been converting Xcrawl to a 4th Ed setting for the players, and so far have had decent success (we've even had players who were not fans of 4th Ed D&D say that they enjoy the system using the Xcrawl setting. Yes, Xcrawl can make 4th Ed palatable.)
I started the players at level 2 (which means they got an assortment of magic items to start with, and a utility) and ran them through Dungeonbattle Brooklyn as a up and coming Division IV team...and what a weird group they decided to play. Team consisted of a Half-Orc Bard, Revenant Cleric (of Pluto), Dragonborn Fighter and Sorcerer (they're brothers), Halfling Rogue, and a Tiefling Psion. They called themselves the Eclectic Collection.
Well, after playing off and on for a couple months, we've gotten through the dungeon. Everyone's enjoyed themselves (and they've been keeping a journal to record cool moments and bloopers), and want me to start running the game more regularly, if I have the time. I'm considering running them though Memphis next, with each level being a level for the character's too. 3 levels of Memphis should make them level 6 by the time they're done. I'm going to end the Heroic tier with Three Rivers (since it seems overly built up to a end to Division III play). That gives me two levels worth of Dungeons, so I think it'll be New York Invitational and Celebrity Pro-Am to round out the Tier.
If anyone's got questions for how I converted things for 4th Ed, just ask. I tried to make each part of the game convert over as straight as possible, but seems to me that it doesn't take much to get it going.
As far as Xcrawl living on through Pathfinder, I say, "Awesome, I will eagerly await the end products." I enjoy the setting and from the sounds of the group I'm playing with, so do they. If I have to convert adventures or setting materials, it's a small price to pay for a truly awesome setting. Keep up the good work!
Roland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Xcrawl, 4th Ed, and the Eclectic Collection

Post by Roland »

Did you have any major problems with the conversion? Is there anything to look out for that isn't obvious?
DJ_Voodoom
Gongfarmer

Post by DJ_Voodoom »

First I have to say I love the X-Crawl Genre and books.

With that said, I love the idea of using 4e over 3.0 or 3.5

My reason is because 4e feels more like positions on a sports team which is exactly what X-Crawl is supposed to be.

Everybody had their job to do on that team to keep everybody alive and kicking.

That is my opinion at least.
"It's a Dungeon Judge's Job to try to kill you...playing stupid is entirely up to you."
Roland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Roland »

You're exactly right. :-)

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”