Xcrawl & Fourth Edition

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Xcrawl & Fourth Edition

Post by DQuartermane »

Here is what we know, 4th Ed. is OGL so I am asking the question that I am sure some are thinking. I know in the post Gen-Con wrap it was stated that Fourth Edition will be fully supported. But I won't lie I am curious about Xcrawl specifically.

Now don't get me wrong, a lot of the other Goodman products look awesome (Really want to try Eitherscope!!). But I have a lot of love for Xcrawl going back a long time. So I guess that I am biased, but I got nothing but love for Goodman.

So there it is, I know that June is a long way away but I thought I would poke.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Xcrawl will still be around in the world of 4th edition. More to come on that...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
rattrap2474
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rattrap2474 »

:twisted: Do not be tempted by the evil of 4th ed.! Stay to the true path of goodnees with 3.5! Do not follow the money grubbing heartless schmucks of WotC! :twisted:

:lol: This mindless rant brought to you by the letter G and the number 18. :lol:

Reverend Allan Hoffman

P.S. haven't made a judgement on 4th Ed yet, I'll have to see what it's like.
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

Well I won't lie from what I see I think 4th Edition is going in a good direction. But let me say this, I would have no problem justifying to myself a Xcrawl 3.5 purchase and a 4.0 purchase because I love that setting just that much.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I am not going to have 100s of dollars I can throw into a new system as large as 4e looks like it is going to be. What books would I need to play just XCrawl? Will there be a XCrawl PHB you could use instead of a D&D4 PHB?
Roll for initiative!!!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

CharlieRock, we're actually not sure yet... Our goal is to make Xcrawl in 4E as stand-alone as possible (like the recent modules, which include as much as possible so you don't need anything but the PHB). But it depends a lot on what route WotC chooses to take in regards to a couple things, which we'll all find out over time.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

Well, I already gotten bit by the C&C bug as far as fantasy role-playing goes. Don't see myself getting over that game any time soon (read, will skip 4e D&D). But, for my sunday morning game I would like to try XCrawl. However, one of the nice things about being uninterested in D&D4 is it allows me to not spend an arm and a leg on it and finally be able to buy all the 'other' games I have been drooling over. If I'm going to have to fork over $100+ to play XCrawl it would go from the "next game" to just plain "next".
Roll for initiative!!!
WyzardWhately
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Xcrawl & Fourth Edition

Post by WyzardWhately »

As a total aside, I would play the hell out of XCrawl 4th. I think a lot of the new 4E model of play will actually make XCrawl work better than it did in 3.x (Traps, especially, will look more like the sort of crazy over-the-top hazards that a DJ would want to include.) That said, XCrawl is, to me, mostly the setting. It wouldn't kill me if we fans had to just use the old books for the setting and handle the rules ourselves.

Might have to give up on the signature moves, but that's a relatively trivial loss, at least to my mind.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

second SRD

Post by joela »

Huh. That's odd. I can't seem to stay logged on under this new system :shock:

Anyway, replying to Joseph: Maybe GG should wait until the second SRD for D20 Modern is released before moving Xcrawl to 4E.
What do you mean no?
WyzardWhately
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: second SRD

Post by WyzardWhately »

joela wrote:Huh. That's odd. I can't seem to stay logged on under this new system :shock:

Anyway, replying to Joseph: Maybe GG should wait until the second SRD for D20 Modern is released before moving Xcrawl to 4E.
Interesting, but...well, the whole point seemed to be that you were playing D&D in a quasi-modern world. I guess the D20 modern stuff would be useful if you ended up brawling with cops and getting into car chases, but it's hardly central to the premise. Maybe go ahead and release it, but then have an outside-the-arena sourcebook?
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re:

Post by DQuartermane »

CharlieRock wrote:I am not going to have 100s of dollars I can throw into a new system as large as 4e looks like it is going to be. What books would I need to play just XCrawl? Will there be a XCrawl PHB you could use instead of a D&D4 PHB?
I don't mean no disrespect. But what are you referring to the 100s of dollars. I mean just like 3.5 all you need is the core three. Anything else is optional. Just curious.

Also I agree with WyzardWhately in that I see 4th Ed. clicking more with Xcrawl than 3.5 did in the way of mechanics. But I will admit that I see 4th Ed. that much better then 3.5 that I am going to get them. I will of course wait for the reviews and such but with all the preview info I have read I am 90% sold on 4E. And barring a major screw up between now and release I am really looking forward to the new edition.

Now yes we can update Xcrawl for our own purposes, and that is why I posted this in the first place. Because other than Eberron, Xcrawl is my favorite campaign to run. And I wanted to know the future of this beloved product. But hearing it is getting a 4E run makes me happy. Now I don't think 3.5 should be left by the wayside but I am thrilled with the continued support.

Now if only i could find a Xcrawl customizable jersey of old.
tentoes
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by tentoes »

To a greater extent, this is a great match. The combat mechanics are made for each other, but the classes will need a serious rewrite.
The way charcaters use powers in 4e as opposed to the standard spell works extrmely well and keeps my game going, but the lack of variety in the same powers points out just how badlythere needs to be some fun and whimsey to be reinjected into the game.
Xcrawl could easily fix that if you re do powers to give flavor instead of kaboom. Once you make the character designs fun again, the game will flow extremely well together and make people sit up and take notice.
Roland
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Roland »

Has anyone here done a XCrawl/D&D4 conversion? I'm looking for a suitable setting for our D&D4 game, and XCrawl seems to be made for 4th.
tentoes
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by tentoes »

Roland wrote:Has anyone here done a XCrawl/D&D4 conversion? I'm looking for a suitable setting for our D&D4 game, and XCrawl seems to be made for 4th.
Honestly theres not much overall conversion... except for the casters. If you and your players are working together that is. Like I pointed out above, the main issue with 4ed is that theres no variation in the characters. It s obvious that Wizards made the game for an easy port into the video game field. not that I blame them, but it makes at really dry.

So you need to work with your spell casters to get that 'feeling' back.
In all of AD&D its about the magic, with out it, you have a hack and slash.
In general I tossout the Warlock. It just doesn't fit in the world as a PC class.
Wizards get slots. We evaluated spells from 3ed in to Utility, daily, encounter and ritual... And Level.
Then instead of saying that the player gets a single utility spell, you get a single utility slot of that level. They still prepare their spells, but now that have some variety instead of... oh, I use wizards blast... AGAIN. Spleep sphere AGAIN.

I have not even bothered with PH2 conversion. The classes are more complex, and don't fit in the 'civilized' world so much, as in a pure fanatsy. Also the races are wackod for teh same reason.
Your best best is to simply rewrite the races to fit 3ed. The Melee classes are pretty solid, Spell caster bad.

Good luck

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”