What do you want to see next?

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What do you want to see next?

Post by goodmangames »

Hi guys,

We've been talking about what's next for the Xcrawl line. So we want your input! We have two of Brendan's crawls scheduled for release early next year: Coney Island Crawl (a 64-pager with a giant roller coaster room!), and Dungeonbattle Brooklyn (a $2 module destined to expand the fan base, in the Goodman tradition). We've got some ideas on what comes after that, but we need some input. So... what do you want to see?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Sheridan
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: What do you want to see next?

Post by Sheridan »

goodmangames wrote:what do you want to see?
I've had limited exposure to XCrawl, but my gaming group thought it was much more fun than they had expected once they started playing it.

How about a Dungeon Crawl Classics/XCrawl crossover? You could use the DCC brand to promote XCrawl and come out with a D&D module that involves the PCs getting transported (Via time jump/magic/planar travel/whatever) into an XCrawl event. You could have it *not* require the XCrawl rules (since 90% of XCrawl is based on the Fantasy SRD anyway), but include a few sections on "optional" rules and introduce some game elements from XCrawl into the module. This could help promote the XCrawl line among the regular D&D audience.

As far as the "old school feel" of the DCC line, it really isn't too much of a jump - think back to "sixguns and sorcery" and all the D&D/Boot Hill/Gamma World/MA crossovers in the early days.

-Scott Moore
*Sheridan
Jet Jaguar
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Jet Jaguar »

Sheridan wrote: As far as the "old school feel" of the DCC line, it really isn't too much of a jump - think back to "sixguns and sorcery" and all the D&D/Boot Hill/Gamma World/MA crossovers in the early days.
Ooh! Ooh! "Sixguns and sorcery" would rock! :twisted: :D :twisted:

Put me down for a "Western" themed Xcrawl adventure!
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

How about a Dungeon Crawl Classics/XCrawl crossover? You could use the DCC brand to promote XCrawl and come out with a D&D module that involves the PCs getting transported (Via time jump/magic/planar travel/whatever) into an XCrawl event.
Duane Waldrop and I had lunch yesterday and had a grand old time discussing a DCC/ Xcrawl crossover. It could really be something special.

Color me copasetic :D

Be well

Brendan
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Well I had an idea for an adventure I've never got around to using that you might try out. An ancient lich has become a huge fan of the game and has decided to run his own crawl in the underdark. He has arranged to kidnap a number of teams for his crawl, and has mystically hacked the transmission. Of course, in his crawl there are no rules and the prize for the winning team is their lives!
N'Haaz-aua
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by N'Haaz-aua »

38 olympics in xcrawl?
vagen
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vagen »

I ran an event for my players that was taken sort of from nascarr, I ran an off season crawl sponsored entirly by friki-choo cola, the history I gave it included a div 3 open for all comers willing to go through a try out. a div 2 classic and a div 1 invitational. the classic, which they went through was hosted by DJ Warsong, ie the sword was the DJ and he crafted the crawl using one of the adventures he had actually been a part of. All I did for it was take an old module and devided it into 3 sections removed some of the fluff encounters and ran the players through after adding a couple of breakrooms and traps since the players might remember the dungeon I wanted to keep it as similar to the original as possible but also added the element of tv to it. in one room the origianl had the party fight several skeletons and zombies. I included these plus I added some ghouls and a wight. plus 2 green slimes. Also since it was a "classic" I disallowed any item that couldn't have been used during th e adventure age. ie watches, flashlights, scopes.
For the Glory!
For the Money!
For theFun!!!
tentoes
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by tentoes »

Using the old module is a great idea :)

Kudos!! Time to break out Castle Greyhawk.... maybe not :D
kingpaul
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by kingpaul »

Has Xworld gotten any love?
PL 2nd, PCGen
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

kingpaul wrote:Has Xworld gotten any love?
It's not on the schedule right now. I'm not sure how far Pandahead got with it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
tentoes
Ill-Fated Peasant

the wish list

Post by tentoes »

actually pretty simple. since the basic Xcrawl is stuck in the NAE, maybe a mythological background for the continent. At least since the flood.
Also a more definitive nature of the NAE culture. Its a poorly made mish mash with no boundaries. and no boundaries = chaos.
Also, while its modern, it cannot be too modern. There is simply not enough room to support as many people as there are. Wild spaces would abound, while city states, rather literally dominate. how else to protect the farmers needed?
Aztecs, Mayans, Incas, Hopis etc.. American Indians have tons of legends covering the continent, and there’s legends of everyone from the Chinese to the Viking having at one time or another having colonies.
aka, run with it.
Maybe a histories of the northwest, or California. Some new world dungeons would be nice.
Also some small town events. Local Xcrawls would be nice. A minor leagues (class 4) schedule/circuit.
Some smaller class 3 venues. R3 rocked but its massive. How about 2 or 3 lesser events, all class 3.
A few class 2s, a few class ones and the Texarcana unlimited?
Finally, if Xworld is not going to happen. How about something in another country. A Xcrawl hosted by Baba Yaga?

just a few ideas :)
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

Raptor wrote:Well I had an idea for an adventure I've never got around to using that you might try out. An ancient lich has become a huge fan of the game and has decided to run his own crawl in the underdark. He has arranged to kidnap a number of teams for his crawl, and has mystically hacked the transmission. Of course, in his crawl there are no rules and the prize for the winning team is their lives!
That could be excellent. It would be a ratings bonanza all over the world and, for the first time, in the Zurah'ah'zurah.

This could be fuuuuuun.

in mayhem,

LaBoss
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

I have a couple of suggestions:

First off, I see you have some minis for the Dungeon Crawl Classics. Why not some minis for Xcrawl, some for the ionics and some generic. Mixing modern and fantasy like only Xcrawl can. I know this could get expensive fast but Xcrawl seems to be doing well so I think it might work. Despite my debilitating minis addiction already (thanks WOTC) I would so love some Xcrawl minis.

Two: I think a intresting source book would be a book about the Crawls that are not sanctioned. You could actually do a couple of things this way. Do a source book with all the info and the major players and how they are financed and all that, you get what I mean (hiding your identity and consequences if you are busted as well). Then you could release some crawls that are "unsanctioned", nice change of pace.

Three: Pandahead had hockey jerseys and stuff like that which I missed out on the first time. Merchandise is always cool but I understand again how expensive that could get real fast.

I think thats it for me, but just outta curiosity, whatever happened to the Xcrawl video game I heard about a long while back? Just curious.
Anemone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Anemone »

My husband and I have been waiting for a long time for the NAE sourcebook. That is the one book that would make a difference between us looking longingly at the complete collection of Xcrawl sourcebooks on our shelves, and running a kick-ass campaign.

Please, please, please! :wink:
Anemone
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

All good suggestions. The NAE sourcebook is definitely on the table... and I love the idea of unsanctioned crawls. Cool idea...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

I would just like to toss my hat in also for a NAE sourcebook. I love having background in the worlds I play in and want this one very much.
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

In my home campaign one of my teams supplemented their income with the occasional illegal crawl - an unsanctioned event held in secret for gamblers. Literally anything goes - acid, poison, chainsaws, shotguns . . . it was a fairly gruesome event. At one point the team had to charm a hobgoblin into acting as the cameraman since the real one got eaten.

Would anyone be into seeing one of those in print?

B
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

That would rock to see in print, I am so there. But to be devil's advocate here you dont think it would be "to dark" do you.
Anemone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Anemone »

DJ LaBoss wrote:At one point the team had to charm a hobgoblin into acting as the cameraman since the real one got eaten.
LOL! That is so awesome!
Anemone
Deguello
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Deguello »

I'd like to see a contest from Goodman-Games. 500 words or less best themed room.. It could be something from state history.. famous tv shows etc..to include in your x crawl game. Just one room contest..

Like red shirts must die.... (Star trek)
or the ok corral etc etc...

I'd like to see some of that..
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

Deguello,
That is not a bad idea at all, hmmmm the possibilities.
Dissent

Post by Dissent »

While I have loved all the Crawls that have been put out, and have really been impressed with the balance and detail and innovation that has been put into them, I've found that writing your own crawl really comes pretty easy. It's not too hard for me to slap a crawl with a simple underplot together in not too much time. What might go better for me is another rules expansion rather than another crawl.

Perhaps something handling rankings of all the Division's teams and how to find your own team ranking. Maybe rules for team bonuses and problems incurred by high team rankings. Day to day living expense calculators for Crawlers? Maybe rules for what kind of demands a team can have on their rider list (you know, the thing rockstars give to venues that says stuff like, "we want 4 sofa's two keg's of Killian's and a bowl of MnM's with all the green ones taken out") at certain rankings. I don't know but details and customization of characters and teams always gets the role-playing going for my group.

Also I would like to second the idea about miniatures and merchandise. I really wanted one of those jerseys back in the day :)
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

So What Is Next?

Post by DQuartermane »

I am gone for a while and when I return I see some activity here on the boards which is always a good sign. But I would like to take a moment and turn the tables on the mods here as ask them a question.

You asked us in this very post what we would like to see next, and we gave you some ideas. So I ask you guys and gals, what is coming down the pipe next. I know we are deep in Con season and if anything is going to be announced it will be at Gen Con. But come on, how about a hint or two. Please?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

VEGAS, BABY!

More details coming soon...

Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
DQuartermane
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by DQuartermane »

That is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!! I so look forward to the details on that. Anything else you wanna leak?

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”