Book?

In XCC, you're a superstar athlete taking your chances in a live-on-pay-per-view death sport. It’s a modern-day world with a fantasy twist, and the game is simple: the Dungeon Judge, or DJ, creates an artificial dungeon under controlled — but lethal — conditions. Can you survive?

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

To Book, or not to book?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Yea!
80%
Nay!
20%

Total votes: 5

tentoes
Ill-Fated Peasant

Book?

Post by tentoes »

what is the possibility of an Xcrawl novel? Rather like the other AD&D projects, most have at least one book to their name.
Since I am a writer, I was actually tackling it myself as a personal project, but I'd put more Umphh into it if there was an actual possibility of, oh say making some gold pieces...

If there is true interest I'll keep writing and see about publishing. I think that since it's based on an AD&D system, it has some pretty stringent rules to align to. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for any input!
(I'll make a 1 month poll for the heck of it anyway as well) :)
FlamingManofIron
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Book?

Post by FlamingManofIron »

Yes! A book would be very interesting and promote this system :)
Surfing HalfOrc
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Zia Comics

Post by Surfing HalfOrc »

Well, this was originally posted 10 years ago... Any progress to report?

I'm kind of interested in writing one myself, but am not so sure as to getting permissions, etc. I can always set up my own world and whatnot, but it'll be obvious that I cribbed a lot from XCrawl. Of course XCrawl cribbed a lot from American Gladiators and WWE Wrestling, so...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Getting permission just involves asking, right?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Surfing HalfOrc
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Zia Comics

Post by Surfing HalfOrc »

GnomeBoy wrote:Getting permission just involves asking, right?
Yeah, but I'm a relative unknown. I have a single flash fiction win to my name, two other flash fiction publishing, and a completed 1st Draft of a novel. It needs editing and publishing.

XCrawl has been out for several years, and they are probably protective of their intellectual property. I would be.

But there are loopholes. I've read stories and books that are clearly in a known IP, such as Fallout or World of Warcraft, but are legal because they don't directly copy the source material.

I'm writing my own take on the subject matter. Changing the Emperor, how the games were started, etc.

I was just curious if anyone else had taken this rather original idea and wrote a book about it.

Return to “Xcrawl (Xcrawl Classics and prior editions)”