New Character Question

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

New Character Question

Post by jamat »

Ok I've neary completed statting up my first character(have yet to write the background) but have a question.

Under skills you have Fighting Styles. If my character chooses a style do they get all the manauvres listed or does it depend on the rank of the skill off hand I think they have a rank of 5

Oh anothere question. I remember from other D20 rules that starting characters have the ranks for starting skills capped is this the same for Etherscope? what is the maximum rank a starting character can have?

Once these questions are answered and the background written I'll post it. Hopefully before I go on holiday next week.

Jamat
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Jamat,

To answer your second question first, yes, your character does have a maximum number of skill ranks per level. See Table 7-2: Character-Level Dependent Abilities.

Regarding the Fighting Technique skills, you need to make a roll against the DC of the manoevre you're attempting from that fighting style. For instance, let's say you've chosen Queensbury boxing, and you want to attempt the Deadly Weapons maneovre, which has a DC 20. So you would roll a d20 and add your ranks in Queensbury boxing (which would be a maximum of 4 for a 1st-level combatant) plus your ability modifier (Strength in this case) to see if you could do it.

Now you could try the other manoeurves as well, but the only other maneouvre you'd have a chance of pulling off at 1st level is Counter Punch (DC 25), and that's only if your Strength is at least 12 (+1 modifier), because it's mathematically impossible to get to 25 otherwise with your maximum of 4 ranks in the skill.

Does that answer that question?
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Ken Hart wrote: Now you could try the other manoeurves as well, but the only other maneouvre you'd have a chance of pulling off at 1st level is Counter Punch (DC 25), and that's only if your Strength is at least 12 (+1 modifier), because it's mathematically impossible to get to 25 otherwise with your maximum of 4 ranks in the skill.
Just to clarify this poinr, this is because a natural 20/nat 1 are not auto success/failure on skill checks in the D20 system.

Ben

Return to “Etherscope”