Etherscope gets a TV Series!!

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Etherscope gets a TV Series!!

Post by malladin_ben »

BBC Wales, Cardiff, 01-Apr-06.

NEW SCIENCE FICTION TV SERIES FROM THE MAKERS OF DR WHO

The BBC Wales are pleased to announce the development of a new science fiction television series, Etherscope. Following the great success of the new Dr Who series and Life on Mars, BBC Wales are to produce another new science fiction series based on the innovative new British roleplaying game, Etherscope.

Etherscope, published by US games company Goodman Games, but written by two British authors, describes an alternative world where stange new technologies discovered in the late Victorian period propelled technology forward and magnified the squalor of the period. In this alternative world of out-of-control technology, Etherspace - a mysterious cyberspace - is the new frontier. Punk scope riders fight evil industrialists while occult investigators war against Etherspace demons and the mysterious System agents that lurk in the shadows.The series will be set in an alternative 1984 in a massive city spawned from Manchester and Liverpool and tell the story of a young boy from Salford's slums who discovers his innate talent for "Scope riding."

The series production is being driven by Dr Who producer, Russel T. Davies - a self-confessed fan of the roleplaying game:
"I was a bit of a Dungeons and Dragons geek in my teens, and I've kept an eye on the roleplaying game industry ever since. When Etherscope came out last December the concept intrigued me so much that I had to go out and get it. I was immediately struck by the complexity and depth of the setting, and just had to make a TV series based in the game's unique universe."

Etherscope creators Ben Redmond and Nigel McClelland are lined up for cameo roles in the show. "We can't really say too much about what we're going to play, but we'll be cropping up as guest stars with the odd line here and there every now and again," said Ben Redmond.

A series of 13 45-minute episodes is planned, and will run concurrently in the UK on BBC 2 and in the US on BBC America. It is expected to begin in September and complete its run by Christmas.
Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mannak »

Damn, I would rather see a Etherscope computer game.

edit: This topic has been April Fooled
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

An Etherscope TV show would be rather cool, though. Especially if done by the Dr Who folks.
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Is this real or an April fools wind up ? :D :D :D

Just wondering considering the post date.

Jamat
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

jamat wrote:Is this real or an April fools wind up ? :D :D :D
Alas it was the latter. I have an evil sense of humour at times :twisted:
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

mythfish wrote:An Etherscope TV show would be rather cool, though. Especially if done by the Dr Who folks.
Yes, it would. It was kind of a dream/wind up.

Ben
Mystereon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mystereon »

Not beyond reach however............

What would you need?

An FX guy?
Some cameras?
Just for a pilot episode I mean?

Want some help?
Old friends tend to re-appear when needed........................
Ask the grumpy one!!
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Mystereon wrote:Want some help?
Old friends tend to re-appear when needed...
That makes me think you might know me, but I'm not sure who you might be. My curiosity is piqued.
Mystereon wrote:Ask the grumpy one!!
Now that makes me think you know Nigel :) I'd take a guess, given the film link and seeming to know both me and Nigel, at Nik? If not enlighten me, please.

Ben
Mystereon
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mystereon »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

^^^^ That was reputedly one of Jesus's answers

Get Nige to check his mail.
And then call me.............
Things changed a lot.
Mystereon
Ill-Fated Peasant

them tunnels

Post by Mystereon »

Have you been in the tunnels?
I think they are the williamson tunnels?
under Liverpool.
Art galleries, wine storage and massive halls.

Great set!
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

You know, showing up to check the boards in May, skimming over the titles, heart skips a beat. Thinking about Red Dwarf and paused to actually check the replies. The irony of the internet is that people will still be reading this post next April.

Mark Charke
Ralph the Dog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ralph the Dog »

I would also work cheap as an actor... :roll:
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Ralph the Dog wrote:I would also work cheap as an actor... :roll:
Ooh, good call.
Ralph the Dog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ralph the Dog »

While a tv series may be waiting in the wings, a comic would be possible now. You have plenty of backstory and access to writing/artistic talent.

Perhaps, a webcomic published a page at a time - 2 or 3 times a week?
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Ralph the Dog wrote:While a tv series may be waiting in the wings, a comic would be possible now. You have plenty of backstory and access to writing/artistic talent.

Whenever I've looked into doing comics before artists have been quite reluctant to work for the types of payment I'd be able to make as a PDF publisher. I don't know if Joseph might be able to afford the rates, but they were a lot more than standard for RPG art. I believe this is because comic panes are difficult to draw, but I'm no expert.

also, as a writer, I believe the writer is required to describe the frames and layout to some extent, and having had no experience with this, I'd not know where to begin.

Having said that, I do have a story if there's anyone out there with comic writing experience...

Cheerio,

Ben
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

malladin_ben wrote:
Ralph the Dog wrote:While a tv series may be waiting in the wings, a comic would be possible now. You have plenty of backstory and access to writing/artistic talent.

also, as a writer, I believe the writer is required to describe the frames and layout to some extent, and having had no experience with this, I'd not know where to begin.
I don't have experience exactly, but I've done a lot of research and reading of comic scripts in preparation for when I someday write one. The big stumbling block, as you said, would be finding an artist willing to do the work for the rates you can afford.
Ralph the Dog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ralph the Dog »

malladin_ben wrote:

Whenever I've looked into doing comics before artists have been quite reluctant to work for the types of payment I'd be able to make as a PDF publisher. I don't know if Joseph might be able to afford the rates, but they were a lot more than standard for RPG art. I believe this is because comic panes are difficult to draw, but I'm no expert.

Having said that, I do have a story if there's anyone out there with comic writing experience...

Cheerio,

Ben

Have you considered approaching an art school? Professor/teachers might be willing to give credit to a student who would take up such a task.

And while the pay may not be great, it would be good exposure for a young talent. The biggest problem would be finding someone who is dependable.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Ralph the Dog wrote: Have you considered approaching an art school? Professor/teachers might be willing to give credit to a student who would take up such a task.

And while the pay may not be great, it would be good exposure for a young talent. The biggest problem would be finding someone who is dependable.
Good ideas. I'm sure there a large number of artists out there looking to break into the comic business. One idea might be to come up with a couple pages of script, put it out there on the web, and have artists submit a page or so of comic as an "audition". You'd have to advertise the heck out of it on the web to get a good number of submissions, I suspect, and it still doesn't guarantee dependability, but it would allow some freedom to choose someone whose art style best matches the setting and the story.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

If I were an artist, and felt passionately about Etherscope and comics, the best thing I could do for myself would be to sit down at home, draw out a dozen pages, ink/color & scan, and then submit them to MGate/GGames, asking for permission to publish them on line.

People don't get that you don't have to wait for open calls and what not to get your boot in the door. Do it yourself, thereby demonstrating passion.

Why wait? Beat the competition to the punch. That's Scopepunk. :twisted:

Return to “Etherscope”