Supernaturals in Etherscope

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Supernaturals in Etherscope

Post by Mannak »

Does any think there's Vampires,Werewolfs/Shape Shifters,Magi,Wraiths,Demons (from other mythologies not just Fallen Angels),Fae,Gargoyles,Doppelgangers,Trents (living trees),Dragons,ect in the world of Etherscope? If so then how do they surivie in a Steampunked world?

any thoughts?
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

There's certainly "demons", but of a Cthulu mythos variety.

As for anything else, there certainly somethings out there, but you have to remember that Etherscope has a pseudoscience behind it. Anything that does exist will have to work within our pseudoscientific rules.

I'm pretty sure there will be more on this in coming books, so wait and see :).

Ben
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

I would say that in the real world "well Etherscope world" you would only get the monsters stated in the rules.

Once jacked in who's to say you couldn't meet a dragon or a werewolf as the only limit once you're jacked in is your imagination.

Jamat.
Taurren
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Taurren »

I agree that within the 'scope, anything and everything is possible. (i.e Scope drones, Scope Demons, Lungscratch and a variety of others)

But within the "real world" I think it would be easy and quite plausible to have such magical monsters as vampires, werewolves, golems and ghosts. These monsters seem to be a perfect fit for the world of the Great Metropolis. Other monsters such as dragons or ents seem less likely, at least from my point of view.

As a seperate thought, now that humanity has mastered the ability to enter into and interact with the 'scope, what would it take for powerful and intelligent beings (Patrician of Souls?) within the scope to do the reverse? Why should the door only open 1 way?
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Taurren wrote:As a seperate thought, now that humanity has mastered the ability to enter into and interact with the 'scope, what would it take for powerful and intelligent beings (Patrician of Souls?) within the scope to do the reverse? Why should the door only open 1 way?
Oh it doesn't :twisted: but more of that later...

Ben :twisted:
Taurren
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Taurren »

malladin_ben wrote:
Oh it doesn't :twisted: but more of that later...

Ben :twisted:
I never thought it did. 8) One of my players is begining to worry about the same thing. Its amazing how a little doubt and worry can motivate a player.
Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mannak »

It's been hinted that magic existed in uncharted areas so there must be forces/enties/beings that are beyond the measures of PsuedoScience & PsuedoReason that exists in Etherscope.

As for Ents & Dragons, They are mostly an Endangered species since the Dragons have been hunted down throughout the Dark Ages which most of the suriving members now are either sleeping beneath mountains or roaming the
secluded skies away from the Metropolis (but there has been Dragon sightings seen by Farmers,sailors,pirates,Gunslingers,and other hermets but Dragons rarely fly over the Great Metropolis however) and the Ents are suffering deforestation which forced them to move far secluded areas away from the Metropolis.
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Again this comes down to what you want to do. I personally wouldn't go down this route, but I am now giving serious thought, and hunting down an old article, to doing a Dr Who adventure in the style of the old Tom Baker Victorian adventures in the Etherscope world, imagines look on Ben's face :lol: , and I haven't run any regular games yet, knows the look on Ben's face :twisted: . Whats great is seeing the game create these sorts of ideas and attitudes and being inspired by them, its very satisfying as a designer, writer. Keep it coming.

Nigel
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

To be a complete fanboy for a moment: That would be cool. :D "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" is one of the all-time great Who stories and a personal favorite.

--Ken, who wishes he fought in the Battle of Reykjavik :-)
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I Can see Aliens

Post by tadk »

I can see aliens in the setting pretty easy
might add some at some time to my own
but not 'monsters' except for the 2 legged variety
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Aliens would work very well, and I'm not saying any more than that ;)

Ben
Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mannak »

tadk wrote:I can see aliens in the setting pretty easy
might add some at some time to my own
but not 'monsters' except for the 2 legged variety
Aliens are not quite as supernatural as Vampires,Werewolves,ect.
malladin_ben wrote:Aliens would work very well, and I'm not saying any more than that ;)

Ben
Due to the Psedeuoscientific nature of the game, there are probably Selenites
(from the Trip to the Moon), Venusians, and Martians aswell.

Return to “Etherscope”