Mafia/Mob/Gangsters/Gunslingers in Etherscope.....

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Mafia/Mob/Gangsters/Gunslingers in Etherscope.....

Post by Mannak »

I wonder there's any 1920s style (the Victorian version) Mafia or Organised Crime (or the Warriors style Street Gangs) in Etherscope?

and what about the Old West Gunslingers? are they still around?
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

There's all of that! Look out for The Great Metropolis for organised crime and street gangs. These are constructed on a more british model than a classic Capone/Scicilian or The Warrios, but they are very much there.

There's also gunslingers in the Savage South (Latin America) which has become the new frontier of the US.

Cheerio,

Ben
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

Ben,

Will there be more character classes in The Great Metropolis to represent these poeple. I'd love to see a gunslinger class (perhaps in an American suppliment :D )

Jamat
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

There's not a gunslinger-type class in the Great Metropolis, but you won't have to wait long, shall we say...

Ben
jamat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jamat »

I really hate it when game companies tease me in this way!!!!! :lol:

Jamat
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

jamat wrote:I really hate it when game companies tease me in this way!!!!! :lol:
:twisted:

Much as I do enjoy the tease, I'm treading carefully so that I don't annoy Joseph by giving too much away. Without his tether you'd probably know everything about the whole metaplot by now (I'm finding this keeping secrets lark very difficult :? ).

Ben
Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Mannak »

Here's another class idea

Has anybody thought of having Pirates in Etherscope?
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Here's another class idea

Or even sky pirates, lot of luxury and cargo zepplins floating about :twisted:
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Mannak wrote:Here's another class idea

It's not somethingwe've looked directly at yet, but we do explore the maritime themes in The Great Metropolis... could be something there for pirates...?

Ben
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Yar! Toss me another scope jack matey!

The navel fleet was an important part of England for many years and I imagine it still would be in "modern" Etherscope. Naturally that would invite piracy. Of course you'd have to balance sailing vessels against airships. There would probably be competition between them - but that again would invite conflict.

Also it opens up the whole air/sea storyline themes that are so popular in Anime. Throw in the twist of ethertech and there is a lot to play with.

Setting the tone for ships in Etherscope would be interesting. Could they use the scope to help navigate? Do they use sails? What kind of unusual ethertech sails can be created? They probably have a standard engine of some kind as well and military ships would have batteries of modern weapons. I think it would be nice to leave the game in the era where wooden ships were starting to be phased out and metal hulls were becoming common. Some people remain traditionalists and others use the most advanced tech they can find. Those with limited technological resources would probably be forced to use wood.

Fibreglass is another interesting topic. There would probably be an ether-modified substance similar to it - strong and easy to work but relatively fragile but ideal for non-military purposes. Glass treated with ether that becomes smokey and slightly more flexible as the crystaline structure is changed by the ether. Slightly toxic, it leaves trails in the water and must be insulated to be safe for the crew to use - or not insulated depending on the amount of concern assigned to the crew.

Just brainstorming.

Mark Charke
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Age Of Steam

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Hi Guys

I'm afraid the age of sail is gone, except for pleasure craft of course. The rulers of the sea are steam and steel, well etherium, battleships a la late 19th/early 20th century warfare, with the Super Dreadnoughts of the Royal Navy the most advanced and powerful war machines on the planet, though there is a conflict between air and sea, which sea is winning through more armour and bigger guns. Think really big guns firing really big shells, really long distences

Love the fibre glass material, going have to give that some thought. Ethertech has had a massive impact on naval technology including engines, navigation, weapons and targeting systems but it still comes down to man vs nature, making the sailors of escope a tough old breed. With Liverpool's naval history you'll see a few more insights into the naval elements of the game. Keep brainstorming, its the heart of good ideas.

Return to “Etherscope”