A Member of the Club...

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Harlan Quinn

A Member of the Club...

Post by Harlan Quinn »

Could you give me an idea if the following groups exist ?

The Hellfire Club - What better place for the rich and powerful to misbehave than in the Ether?

The Golden Dawn - It seems custom made for Etherscope....

The Thule Society - A branch of the New Reich's government?

The Communist Party - Karl Marx would probably be a messiah for all the downtrodden workers of the Great Metropolis.
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Well, we've tried to stay away from actual historical societies, but certainly similar things to pretty much all of what you suggest exist.

However, the Reich government is Bismarkian rather than Nazi, so I would say the Thule society is probably less powerful and more secretive club of Reich Aristocrats.

Also the Communist Party - Russia's communism has actually worked pretty well, given their high skilled economy, rather than poor agricultural one. However, Britian had a communist uprising put down in 1937, and now political radicals are hunted by the state. Also, given that Russia is an ally of Britain in the Pacific, those who want bringing out of the oppression look to the other superpowers for support. Neither America or the New Reich would look kindly on leftist ideas. The CIA is also heavily involved in rabble-rousing in the Great Metropolis. As such, a republican revolutionary movement has sprung up, involving both the workers and the industrialists.

Cheerio,

Ben
Lady of Highgate
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Lady of Highgate »

The Hellfire Club - What better place for the rich and powerful to misbehave than in the Ether?
Sounds good to me - do you want to elaborate on that? What would your twist be on it?
The Golden Dawn - It seems custom made for Etherscope..
Yes. Using Secret Societies within your Victorian world is a must - they can be at the centre of a million plot ideas - the possibilities are endless. Ever had a go at making your own?
The howl of the wolf as Big Ben strikes midnight
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Lady of Highgate wrote:Using Secret Societies within your Victorian world is a must - they can be at the centre of a million plot ideas - the possibilities are endless. Ever had a go at making your own?
Just wait for The Great Metropolis!! And the rest, too for that matter :)

Ben

Post by Guest »

Lady of Highgate wrote:
Sounds good to me - do you want to elaborate on that? What would your twist be on it?
The Golden Dawn - It seems custom made for Etherscope..
Yes. Using Secret Societies within your Victorian world is a must - they can be at the centre of a million plot ideas - the possibilities are endless. Ever had a go at making your own?

It would seem to me that in a place such as the Ether, all tethers to good behavior would be extremely thin. If I have a way of masking my identity, why not give in to all one baser instincts? :twisted:

In other words...one could become a virtual "virtual" Jack The Ripper or Mr. Hyde.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:It would seem to me that in a place such as the Ether, all tethers to good behavior would be extremely thin. If I have a way of masking my identity, why not give in to all one baser instincts? :twisted:

In other words...one could become a virtual "virtual" Jack The Ripper or Mr. Hyde.
Hmmm, we're touching on a whole complex area of ethical philosophy here. I personally believe that an individual's morality will come into play whatever the situation. But that's largely by-the-by. There will always be some individuals who choose to ignore standard morality, and the ability to change one's identity does arm these characters with a number of interesting options normally unavailable to them. However, there are a couple of problems with this: All being killed in the Scope does for you is make you a little unwell for a short while, and Etherscope avatars can be traced whatever they look like.

Cheerio,

Ben

Return to “Etherscope”