Etherscope 1984 Calendar

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Etherscope 1984 Calendar

Post by maded »

I am working up a calendar for the Etherscope world; got a few British holidays already entered and such (thanks to Tad), but was going to ask here if there are any holidays specific to the world as described within the setting.

Will get more time to go over the books later, but just thought that maybe any of you enterprising chaps out there who had books on hand could drop a few here.
irbslice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by irbslice »

I don't really have anything helpful to contribute, but this sounds like a great idea!

~Chris
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

Most standard british holidays will probably still apply. There's only May Day and Guy Faulks night which I guess our friends in the US might not know about.

Aside from that I guess you need to think about specific etherscope dates. I'm not sure how many events there have been that would lead to a public holiday. A victory celebration for the end of the pacifc war might be one. Also the revolution might be remembered in some fashion, either secretly by some closet "reds" or in a fashion similar to the Guy Faulks celebrations (which could be seen as a celebration of the killing of a religious freedom fighter).

Hope that helps,

Ben
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

I got May Day and Guy Faulkes Day ready to insert, but I don't have my books with me right now as I am on the road on the job for the next couple of weeks. If anybody could splash what those dates Ben mentioned would be specifically, I think I can come up with something for them...Armistice Day is already a real holiday, and it would be a good name for the ending of the Pacific War. Have to think about the rebellion, probably celebrated by the higher class and reviled by those who were involved/close to those involved, I imagine. Probably some official name and then a mocking name for the more secretive?
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I was looking

Post by tadk »

I was looking and the dates in the books are mostly just the year

Nigel and Ben didnt pin it down to like Feb 21, 1963 being the best day ever in all histories or anythign like that

we might have to fudge it

I am going to start a timeline anyway by the year part if nothing else.
irbslice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by irbslice »

Found a reference to the annual King John Ball in The Great Metropolis. Not sure if it's calendar worthy or not...

~Chris
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

If you could slap a page # down for me on that reference in the TGM, irbslice, that would be cool, work's really got me far busier than I was hoping, and I am not able right now to get as much done as I am liking.

Nigel, Ben? You guys there? I pretty much have the calendar done other than any additional holidays...and I put Armistice Day on the actual day the real holiday falls on since I couldn't find any reference as to what time of year the Pacific War ended. I am assuming as of this moment since it's kind of a parallel to WWII that it occurred on a concurrent timeframe in the world of ES...

Timeline :) That would be awesome!
irbslice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by irbslice »

King John Ball is on page 99, mentioned in the Adventure Hooks under Industry.

I don't know if you've covered this or not, but with all the occult goings-on (going-ons?), it might be helpful to cover solstice/equinox dates as well as moon phases.

Although there's no mention of a specific holiday, the Great Metropolis Uprisings of 1937 are specifically mentioned as "one of the darkest and bloodiest events in British history." Seems like they should at least get a white sale at Sears or something ;-)

Thanks,

~Chris
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

irbslice wrote:I don't really have anything helpful to contribute, but this sounds like a great idea!

~Chris
By the way, just thought I'd add here...Hah!

Your suggestions and assistance with the page numbering when I am away from my books have actually been quite helpful...Thanks!
irbslice
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by irbslice »

I swear, I was telling the truth at the time :lol:

Glad I could help!
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

Okay, folks, putting the finishing touches on the calendar finally out here in Cali; since I've precious little free time going on lately, I'm trying my best to squeeze in as much as I can. Calendar n' dates done, as far as I can get, and adding in some moon phases as well. Border art of a sort is being assimilated as well to be added in. Soon! ;)
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

No art, simple version posted here for now...until I can find something I actually like for art/border that won't cost $$...yeah, I'm a cheap bastid ;P

Again, and as usual, if anyone at GG wants to post it somewhere feel free...

http://www.geocities.com/ed_dornerjr/Maded

Enjoy:)
maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by maded »

Argh, apparently the moon phases forgot to remind me to put them in, as did the equinoxes...get to that soon and will replace the current.

Return to “Etherscope”