Chapter 3: Neddirpik

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Post by sedm1549 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:17 am

Connaught puts the bomb away and helps dipatch the hatchling with his rifle. He then moves to cover the other enterance to the room.

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by Orin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:12 am

Glod and Connaught finish off the baselists.

Glod is on the lookout for the following components: Animator, Bloodhound, Cauterizer, Discriminator and Spark Generator. He also will keep his eyes out for new and unusual steam powers that might have been abandoned as Nedderpick faltered.

User avatar
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Contact:

Materials

Post by Charke » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Stuff

There is an animator, but it is partially combined with a disciminator, obviously something Hammer had been building as another member of his artificial crew. It looks like this item is designed to detect steam presure (from another device not present) and then turn valves. Modifying the two devices or taking them appart is certainly possible.

There are a number of spark generators, used as lighters for many experiments lying around.

There is a cauterizor in the first aid kit.

These steam powers are all size medium.

There is a clockwork puppet (size small) with an animator and a scanner. It appears to be non-functional but what is wrong with it would require some work to fix.

There are a number of pumps not in use and even a wavemaker being used as a radio.

There is an unusual project in the back made from a mass of thin sheets of green colored materials, wires, and a very fine pumping system. It is size large. You could squeeze it into the elevator but moving it around in the corridors would be difficult. It appears to be an automator, discriminator using some kind of spark generator to etch paper thin sheets of glass stored in a fluid.

Also there are some dead basilisks in the room.


Neddirpik's primary engine begins warming up with a sick slushing sound.

Mark Charke

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Re: Materials

Post by Reese » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 pm

"Sounds like someone is starting us moving. That can't be good."

"We should get to the engine room and see what's going on."
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 pm

"Yeah, I think we need to get moving in that direction"

sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Post by sedm1549 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:39 pm

I think we should keep heading upwards to the control room. What ever has started the engines is probally heading back that way. If it's started the engines it will want to do something with the power.

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:30 pm

"True, and we should be closer to the control room right now than the engines. Plus the armory is between here and the control room. You've changed my mind, lets head for the control room."

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Post by Reese » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:44 pm

"Let's get moving quickly, in any case. I don't want some slime zombie walking us off a cliff... though it'd be funny to watch from outside."

Namfoodle grins momentarily with the conclusion of that last thought, then hefts his pack to his back and moves to stand by the door.
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

User avatar
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Charke » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:12 pm

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Walking Towards a Cliff

Besides the grinding engine it is quiet and deserted up the next staircase. A red link blinks. For a moment it is dark. Then it is red. Then it is dark again. For a moment the corridor is empty. Then it is dark. Then there is a figure. Then it is dark. Then the corridor is empty.

A light flickers on and the corridor remains empty and cramped. There is no where to go. There is forward and there is back, and down the stairs past you. There are pipes and tubes and metal plates making up the walls and ceiling. There are access panels but they are weilded or bolted shut.

Down the corridor is opens into a checkpoint and officer mess. That practically means a large metal room with a hotplate and some collapsable chairs and tables. This is a narrow point before the command deck they use to screen visitors. It is, again, deserted. There is a stain on the wall if you want to take a good look.

There are two doors. Of course, there are always two door. One leads into the rooms occupied by the officers and the other door should open to a stair case up to the command deck. This is actually an area more or less sealed off from the rest of the Mech. There will be other ways off the command deck but they will all have posts like this guarding them. There is probably also a private elevator.

It's just a single footstep, a hiss and a wisper of moving air. For the life of you, you can not tell which door it came from behind - or did it come from the room you are in? Something is off - like the 'Mech becoming a slime-haven isn't bad odd enough.

Mark Charke

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by Orin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:15 pm

Glod picks up the Spark Generator, Cautorizer and Puppet. The Animator and Descriminator combo look a bit heavy.

"The control room sounds reasonable, though there are probably other places that this city can be steered from"

sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Post by sedm1549 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:45 am

" this place is unsettling. Lets get to the bridge, maybe the captain kept a log. It might throw some light on things. keep sharpe."

Connaught starts to head slowly down the corridor toward the check point, rifle loaded and ready in hand.

listen check 16 + 3 = 19
spot check 17 + 8 = 25

Init 10 + 4 = 14

Connaught has readied himself to fire both barrels on the first thing that moves (besides his comrads of course). He would then drop his rifle and switch to his rapier.

(att 12+8 = 20, -2 for firing both barrels = 18)

Also, how many shot were needed to finnish off the ballisks as I need to update ammunition carried by connaught.

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Robert takes the lead, with buzzaxe and shield ready. He studies the doors try to tell if they open toward or away from him. If they open toward them, he'll as connaught to open the right one from the hinge side (therefore protecting himself with the door) while I prepare an action to attack anything on the otherside of the door.

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Post by Reese » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:41 pm

Namfoodle looks around nervously, alert for whatever may be lurking within this ominously lit room.

{Listen: 17 = 16 + 2(racial) - 1(wis); Spot: 6 = 7 - 1(wis)}

He speaks some magic words and waves his hands about his body as though warding off attackers. A steel blue aura momentarily surrounds and encases him before fading away as he finishes casting his spell.

{casting mage armor; casting time 1 action, durration: 6 hours}
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

User avatar
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Charke » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Something Wicked

Magic

An almost invisible blue shimmer appears around Namfoodle, moving and flowing with him as he does. For something weightless it shimmers into cold reality, as hard as steel, when his shoulder catches a doorframe. Blind as a bat, well not really, he does not see anything but Listening is better in these tight quarters anyway and he hears a lot.

The main pump is full of liquid and should not be working. It should be full of water vapor, heated from the main steam engine. The crackle of burning coal and wood is missing. There is just a sick slushing sound like crushing grapes. Unfortunately this makes it even harder to hear the thing stalking you because it is making almost the same sounds...

The Buzzaxe

Robert proceeds ahead and just for a second a distorted figure appears. The buzzaxe moves out of reflex - and strikes a large patch of dried blood on the wall. Then nothing. The officer's mess is empty. Past the mess there are patches of green goo on the floor but it is easy enough to step around them. These are the same sort of patches the bassilisk left behind as it walked. Its very unlikely this is a creature lying on the floor. If it was it would take minutes to pull itself together.

There is a sign up ahead indicating that the armory is further down the corridoor and the command deck is one level up. There is a massive door between you and the command deck. The door is locked and there is green goo oozing under it. The door is steel, thicker than usual and locks with a mechanical system from the other side.

The Rifle

Connaught, a little further back, spots a humanoid shape flow across the corridor and vanish into an air vent. It did not take the air vent cover off. It just flowed through the mesh. It was between you and the armory but now that it is in the ventelation system it could come out in a lot of places around you.

(Four rounds would have been required against the young basillisks but you chould also have simply dispatched them with the rifle butt.)

Bits and Peices
Glod has a Spark Generator, Cautorizer and Clockwork Puppet which needs repairs. If you wanted to work on anything, you would have had between half and hour and hour in the workshop.

Mark Charke

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm

"this look like its the place. Anybody know how to get through the lock?"

Is this going to take a Disable Device or Open Lock check?

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by Orin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:10 am

Prior to leaving, Glod gets out his masterwork artisans and gearwright's toolkits and attempts to repair the clockwork puppet

9 + Craft (Mechcraft) + 23 = 32

Glod mentions that he might be able to reconfigure his gearwright's toolkit to create a tool that may disable the door. He very carefully avoids the green goop, examining the door itself using the magnification powers of his Gnomish Utility Goggles.

Check for creating correct tool using gearwright's toolkit: 13 + Int (+4) = 17

Disable Device Check: 10 + (DisableDevice) 20 [+2 for correct tool] = 30 [32]

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:13 pm

"Of course, I can always go through it, but then anything on the other side will know we're coming."

sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Post by sedm1549 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:26 am

"We're not alone. Theres something here, it dissapeared through that air vent. Literally."

"Lets have a look at that door."

Open lock 6+11+2(mw tools) = 19

"if we can't get in neatly, then maybe the armory may have something useful."

(Connaught would have used the rifle to avoid getting too close to the slime. I will subtract the rounds.)

Connaught keeps the rifle close whilst looking to open the door.

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Post by Reese » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:15 pm

Namfoodle examines the door. "Perhaps if the hinges are on the outside, we might be able to remove them and release the door with a minimum of damage. It would behoove us to avoid unnessesary destruction, lest the Gearwrights guild fine us."
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

User avatar
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Contact:

Post by Charke » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Green

The Clockwork puppet is fixed. It takes a lot of work and more than a few components - that just happen to be sitting around the workshop. Something is still missing. The memory core is like a spider web that is missing the spider. A key element is missing and must be inputed by a user. It can be transmited verbally or by typing it in. It is the core of the puppet's personality upon which the rest will be based. It could be a single word or up to a sentance. It will be his core. Until inputed the unit will remain inactive.

Music
The Door
It takes a little more work than you figured but Connaught unlocks the door - which slams open with the force of a powerful blow. A tide of green slime floods into the room. In seconds it will fill the entire room up to the ceiling. This might only be temporary, it might drain down the stairs and ventalations systems but it might not. It depends on how much there is.

You will need to succeed at a Reflex saving throw DC 15 to remain where you are. You will need to make a Constitution saving throw DC 10 not to swallow or injest any of the green stuff. An initiative check is important. You must beat an Initiative of 10 in order to act BEFORE the liquid gets to you. Afterwards you will be unable to speak.

You can make a Swim check DC 15 to swim to the rising surface of the green material. This will allow you to speak for 1 round before the liquid completely fills the chamber and there is no air.

If you fail the Reflex save, you are swept along by the green stuff and take 2d6 damage from being banged around. You end up some distance down the corridor near the ladder system that brought you up to this level - and you are under "water".

If you injest the liquid, another Fort save is required DC 20 and the side effects of that - well I'll get back to you on that.

If you fail the initiative check, you are under"water" (slime). Failing the swim check means you are still under"water".

Everyone is also entitled to a Spot and Listen check. If you head is under"water" you suffer a -10 penalty to both checks because it is difficult to see and almost impossible to hear anything.

Music

Mark Charke

My last post vanished when the server went offline so this one took a little longer.

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Post by Raptor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Init roll 10+6=16
Reflex save 15+3=18

As my hydraulic armor is sealed against liquids the slime shouldn't be able to penetrate. I'm not going to bother with the swim check (huge neg mod), just activate my airsupply and attempt to move forward into the next room.

Spot roll 8+2-10=0
Listen roll 4+9-10=3

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 pm

Post by Reese » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:39 pm

{Initiative: 4+3 = 7
Reflex save: 3+5 = 8
Damage: 6+3 = 9
Fortitude save: 3+4 = 7
Fortitude save: 11+4 = 15}

"Holy Mother-" Namfoodle, being much shorter than the others, has only moments to react before the quickly rising 'waters' close over his head, cutting off his exclamation and flooding his mouth with it's vile essence. Caught off guard, he is whirled down the passage, banging against pipes and bulkheads as he is swept towards the ladder to the lower levels.

{Wounds -9; HP = 20/29}
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Post by sedm1549 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:29 am

Reflex 7+9 = 16
fort 11+4 = 15
init 12+4 = 16

spot 4+8 = 12
listen 8+3 = 11

Connaught manages to brace himself and grab hold of something as the wave hits him. If he saw Namfoodle getting swept away he will call to robert to look for him. He knows he's too poorer swimmer to go after Namfoodle.

connaught tries to swim to the surface, but fails to make any progress.

swim 4+0-6(ac Pen) = -2
can hold breath 24 rounds (23 if he is allowed to drink potion) before needing con checks.

to give him a boost connaught trys to drink his potion of bulls strenght (standard action??)(if possible) +4 str 3mins. (please advise)

If connaught does get to the surface he tries to make progress into the wave in hope of an air space and dry land.

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by Orin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 am

Init 18 (+3) = 21
Ref 11 (+5) = 16

Con Saving Throw 12 + 3 = 15

Glod realizes that he won't be able to swim and secures himself against the flow, holding his breath and hoping that the liquid will drain away before he runs out of breath (Con of 16)

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by Orin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Glod also tries to use his force generator to attempt to stem the flow.

Post Reply

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”