DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

JediOre wrote:I'm sure if you ask nice he'd be willing to send a 5x7 photograph of himself you could post on your DM screen.

He'd DM by proxy that way.
Dang....too late!

I already have my pic of Greg House posted there....naturally, to inspire me to deeper depths of DM-rat bastardliness. 8)

I love House (the character, although I'm fond of Hugh Laurie) about as much as a completely heterosexual male can love another male without it looking funny. :shock:
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
JediOre wrote:I'm sure if you ask nice he'd be willing to send a 5x7 photograph of himself you could post on your DM screen.

He'd DM by proxy that way.
Dang....too late!

I already have my pic of Greg House posted there....naturally, to inspire me to deeper depths of DM-rat bastardliness. 8)

I love House (the character, although I'm fond of Hugh Laurie) about as much as a completely heterosexual male can love another male without it looking funny. :shock:
I love the show/character as well. My kind of humor. And no nonsense approach to life and its problems, etc...
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I think this question got lost in the postings:

Any Chance of buying other items from the boxed sets that the maps where recovered from? Even if they are in bad condition?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

PeelSeel2 wrote:Any Chance of buying other items from the boxed sets that the maps where recovered from? Even if they are in bad condition?
I'm afraid not. Most of the boxes were damaged enough to wrinkle corners, bend edges, and otherwise damage the contents to the extent that they're unsalable. We were lucky these maps survived!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

How about a damaged goods auction on eBay? Especially to get a couple of spare books for the players to look at.

We aren't looking for mint condition, just useable/readable. and cheap.

got to be better than throwing them out. I'd pay a couple of bucks for useable/readable books. Especially if its just tears. Packing tape works wonders.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Welcome aboard, CharlieRock!
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Treebore wrote:How about a damaged goods auction on eBay? Especially to get a couple of spare books for the players to look at.

We aren't looking for mint condition, just useable/readable. and cheap.

got to be better than throwing them out. I'd pay a couple of bucks for useable/readable books. Especially if its just tears. Packing tape works wonders.
Yes!.
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

I'd gladly buy extra copies of the modules, regardless of how badly damaged they are. I've frequently bought doubles of DCC modules so that I could run one (i.e. highlight stuff and write all over it) and one to keep in mint condition for collecting.
Heck, with Crypt of the Devil Lich I even bought a 3rd copy that I cut all the pictures out of so I could hand them around the table for my players to see while they encountered whatever was pictured! :D
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

I just got the Aereth Campaign World setting. Gorgeous maps! :D
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Got my order of maps today! Plus belly of the great beast. My campaign is now 3 years old and the characters are just starting to reach 20th (We game pretty much once a week). Belly might make a good adventure for them in a while!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Woo-hoo! My wife gave me DCC #34 for my birthday today!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

this was posted on d&d insider, where the head designer was talking about what the default setting for fourth edition should be.

reads alot like aereth to me. :) :) :)
The Dungeons & Dragons game assumes many things about its setting: The world is populated by a variety of intelligent races, strange monsters lurk on other planes, ancient empires have left ruins across the face of the world, and so on. But one of the new key conceits about the D&D world is simply this: Civilized folk live in small, isolated points of light scattered across a big, dark, dangerous world.

Most of the world is monster-haunted wilderness. The centers of civilization are few and far between, and the world isn’t carved up between nation-states that jealously enforce their borders. A few difficult and dangerous roads tenuously link neighboring cities together, but if you stray from them you quickly find yourself immersed in goblin-infested forests, haunted barrowfields, desolate hills and marshes, and monster-hunted badlands. Anything could be waiting down that old overgrown dwarf-built road: a den of ogre marauders, a forgotten tower where a lamia awaits careless travelers, a troll’s cave, a lonely human village under the sway of a demonic cult, or a black wood where shadows and ghosts thirst for the blood of the living.

Given the perilous nature of the world around the small islands of civilization, many adventures revolve around venturing into the wild lands. For example:

Roads are often closed by bandits, marauders such as goblins or gnolls, or hungry monsters such as griffons or dragons. The simple mission of driving off whomever or whatever is preying on unfortunate travelers is how many young heroes begin their careers.

Since towns and villages do not stay in close contact, it’s easy for all sorts of evils to befall a settlement without anyone noticing for a long time. A village might be terrorized by a pack of werewolves or enslaved by an evil wizard, and no one else would know until adventurers stumbled into the situation.

Many small settlements and strongholds are founded, flourish for a time, and then fall into darkness. The wild lands are filled with forgotten towers, abandoned towns, haunted castles, and ruined temples. Even people living only a few miles away from such places might know them only by rumor and legend.
The common folk of the world look upon the wild lands with dread. Few people are widely traveled—even the most ambitious merchant is careful to stick to better-known roads. The lands between towns or homesteads are wide and empty. It might be safe enough within a day’s ride of a city or an hour’s walk of a village, but go beyond that and you are taking your life into your hands. People are scared of what might be waiting in the old forest or beyond the barren hills at the far end of the valley, because whatever is out there is most likely hungry and hostile. Striking off into untraveled lands is something only heroes and adventurers do.

Another implication of this basic conceit of the world is that there is very little in the way of authority to deal with raiders and marauders, outbreaks of demon worship, rampaging monsters, deadly hauntings, or similar local problems. Settlements afflicted by troubles can only hope for a band of heroes to arrive and set things right. If there is a kingdom beyond the town’s walls, it’s still largely covered by unexplored forest and desolate hills where evil folk gather. The king’s soldiers might do a passable job of keeping the lands within a few miles of his castle free of monsters and bandits, but most of the realm’s outlying towns and villages are on their own.

In such a world, adventurers are aberrant. Commoners view them as brave at best, and insane at worst. But such a world is rife with the possibility for adventure, and no true hero will ever lack for a villain to vanquish or a quest to pursue.
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I read this earlier myself, and I was thinking the same thing. :)

Huge swaths of dangerous land with a few scatterings of civilized communities. And a whole host of ruins.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

mr. lasala,

do you think the success of dcc world had an impact on the design teams thinking? or is more the case of, the dcc team got it right, and the d&d team got it right, too?

it m ight be arrogant of me to presume that my favoirte adventures prompted a change in a corporation as big as hasbro, BUT they (along with all the other publishers) did decide that adventures weren't worth publishing. then goodman came along, made it a successful business model, and now hasbro, along with everyone else, wants to make modules.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

it's a stretch, it's a stretch, but it FITS.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Gosh! I couldn't honestly say; I don't think I've got enough perspective on the industry to know how much cause and effect is at work.

But, none can dispute their success. I'm sure one company's endeavors lead to another's more than we know.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Cardinal
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Cardinal »

Sorry, I love Áereth, but this sounds exactly like Judges Guild's Wilderlands of High Fantasy to me!!!
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Cardinal wrote:Sorry, I love Áereth, but this sounds exactly like Judges Guild's Wilderlands of High Fantasy to me!!!
Let me agree wholeheartedly! :)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

8) i trust you, cardinal. wilderlands was before my time, so i'm woefully ignorant of a crucial chunk of d&d history.

either way, it's fun to see these design changes. i wonder if & how it will effect the novels. will we see a shift in the forgotten realms? in greyhawk? i don't know the answer but the possiblities are intriguing.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

at some point it might be cool to release a dcc world for 4th edition updated with a book solely devoted to blackdirge's monsters, maps updated to all the new locations, and one or two new adventures. :D :D :D :D :D :D
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

I am hoping for the next update on DCC world to be written for the Labyrinth Lord RPG.

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm

cheers and happy gaming!
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

wow! are you play lablord right now in your dcc home game?
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Warduke wrote:wow! are you play lablord right now in your dcc home game?
Not right now. I am hoping to switch to LL soon and use Aereth as the setting. That or The Wilderlands of High Fantasy.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

is it better than osric? what distinguishes one from the other? (is osric = ad&d and ll = od&d?) :?:

.....you know, i was never a huge fan of osric, but if lablord = od&d i might have to give it a looksee.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Warduke wrote:is it better than osric? what distinguishes one from the other? (is osric = ad&d and ll = od&d?) :?:

.....you know, i was never a huge fan of osric, but if lablord = od&d i might have to give it a looksee.
The e-book is free. Go take a look. It is basically a rewrite of Basic D&D using the OGL.

cheers!

EDIT: I see I missed your question:

OSRIC is AD&D First Edition as seen through the lens of the OGL and Labyrinth Lord is Basic D&D (Holmes, Moldvay, etc.) as seen through the lens of the OGL.

Make sense?
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

jason.richardson wrote:
Warduke wrote:is it better than osric? what distinguishes one from the other? (is osric = ad&d and ll = od&d?) :?:

The e-book is free. Go take a look. It is basically a rewrite of Basic D&D using the OGL.

cheers!

EDIT: I see I missed your question:

OSRIC is AD&D First Edition as seen through the lens of the OGL and Labyrinth Lord is Basic D&D (Holmes, Moldvay, etc.) as seen through the lens of the OGL.

Make sense?
I think it does! Thanks for pointing out LL! I have just downloaded the E-book and the rest of the free material. Nice old-school web site, love it! Since I am running a Mystara Campaign using C&C, this might actually work even better! Cool! :D
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”