DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Where are these pdf's available at? Drivethrurpg? Are they high quality pdf's, or scans?
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

There aren't any PDFs available for purchase other than the DCCs that are currently out. The Known Realms has not been released to PDF yet. That was just me begging for it to be released. ;)
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

I was hoping for another PDF preview of the boxed set today. Maybe not?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Not today, but look for another one this Sunday...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

After my first game too. Curses!

Thank you though, for the previews. :)
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

goodmangames wrote:Not today, but look for another one this Sunday...
Mr. Goodman,

Thanks. That's great news, I look forward to it. You've already shared enough to be honest, but more previews are cool.

I pre-ordered this from my LGS yesterday and the owner is giving me 20% off.

Now I sit staring at the phone...
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I'm right there with you Jason. :shock:
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Renshai wrote:I'm right there with you Jason. :shock:
haha, man I'm so hyped. I haven't been this excited about a setting in a very long time. I typically use Greyhawk or a setting of my own design I called World of Jaessar (my world, my initials are J.S.R.). Anyway, I love the anticipation, it is a feeling I miss lately.

What system are you planning to use? D&D v.3.5? I'm starting a new AD&D campaign with the boxed set.

cheers,

jason
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I know the feeling man. I haven't been this motivated by a setting since I purchased the original 1E Grey Forgotten Realms boxed set.

I've never had time to make my own setting unfortunately. I always found myself over-detailing certain parts and feeling bogged down after a month or so of work.

I will actually be running two games in the Known Realms. The first will be for a group of four (and in January that goes to five) friends using D&D 3.5. I will only allow the core rules plus a few house rules I've created.

The other game is for my 12 year old. I will be using Castles and Crusades for that campaign. I find it much easier to run on the fly than D&D 3.5.

You can find details about my 3.5 campaign in this forum, by the way :)

Ren
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jason.richardson wrote:
Renshai wrote: I'm starting a new AD&D campaign with the boxed set.
Wow. That is SO cool. We need to get you to come to GenCon and run some 1e games. Same with you, Ren, with C&C. Very cool.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:
jason.richardson wrote:
Renshai wrote: I'm starting a new AD&D campaign with the boxed set.
Wow. That is SO cool. We need to get you to come to GenCon and run some 1e games. Same with you, Ren, with C&C. Very cool.

//H
You know, I've been gaming since I was 9 years old and I'm almost 36 now and I've never once been to a gaming convention. I don't know why really, I just never have.

However, knowing I'd be involved with this setting and Goodman Games as part of the convention might just get me to get off my butt and go next year.

I love DMing, I prefer it to playing a character and I'd love to run an AD&D First Edition adventure at the GenCon. I'm very knowledgeable about First Edition AD&D.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jason,

TacoJon ran a bunch of 1e games for us. I believe they were very well attended. (I sat in on some of the games, and the players were loving the action --- even though many of their PCs bit the dust.)

If you're near Indy, this is something to think about, for certain.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

jason.richardson wrote:
I'm starting a new AD&D campaign with the boxed set.
Very cool indeed, Jason. Just be warned, though. The little nudge I got from Harley last winter "to come to GenCon and run some 1E games" sounded a lot like this:
We need to get you to come to GenCon and run some 1e games. Same with you, Ren, with C&C. Very cool.
My convention-going experience was much like yours - very little. Until this year, that is. Now, of course, I feel like I need to go to GenCon every year and run 1E sessions. GenCon is a great experience. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

I'll echo Harley's suggestion - if you're anywhere near Indy, you should try to make it. I know I'm going back next year. And I'll be running something in 1E AD&D. (I don't know what it is that I'm going to run yet - I'm kind of waiting to see what Harley is going to write and have published in the next year before deciding.) :lol:

There is a lot of love for 1E AD&D events at GenCon, I can assure you. The more quality 1E DM's that come (or come back) the better for everyone.

cheers,

tacojohn4547
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

I'll be at GenCon next year. Right now it looks like my whole family will be with me. If so I don't want to commit to a scheduled event, but I'll be happy to do some pick up games of a DCC using Castles and Crusades. Meaning I'll run them. Probably one of the ones in the 2nd to 6th level range. Maybe as high as 8th. The Mysterious Tower would be a fun one, and it is already converted to C&C.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I can't open the latest PDF preview. It opens about 90% of the way and then an error happens and freaks out Acrobat.

Anyone else having this problem?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yup, it's not just you. I have the same problem. We'll see if we can't get another file uploaded in its place.

//H

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

It worked just fine for me. Its a great preview too, by the way. It offers some great advice for running the DCCs as an Adventure Path.

Also, I'm mentioned in the last paragraph of the preview, which is pretty cool!

8)

(Thanks Harley!)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

jason.richardson wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I can't open the latest PDF preview. It opens about 90% of the way and then an error happens and freaks out Acrobat.

Are you using a version of Acrobat before v6? That may be the source... the file was very large so I downsampled it to reduce the size, but it also increases the version compatibility requirements...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
kenwig
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by kenwig »

I'm just itching to get the Known Realms PDF too! I've purchased all mine from RPGnow.com. They are all high quality pdf's & I recommend them.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

goodmangames wrote:
jason.richardson wrote:

Are you using a version of Acrobat before v6? That may be the source... the file was very large so I downsampled it to reduce the size, but it also increases the version compatibility requirements...
Hello,

I'm running adobe reader 7.0. However, I saved the PDF preview to my desktop and I can open it with no problem from there.

The preview is nice. Thanks.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Will the PDF be released at RPGNow and Drivethru this week?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

So last night I was working on a DCC project and reached for the GM's guide and accidentally pulled out a module, whose back cover image I didn’t recognize: two PCs climbing a spiral staircase as a troll threatens to cast them into the abyss below.

Heh. Turned out it was “Vault of the Thief Lord,” one of the 2 adventures included in the boxed set. I’ve been so focused on the Gaz. books that I’d forgotten about the adventures.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Okay, so tonight is the first session of my new AD&D First Edition campaign set in the Known Realms.

So far I only have what's been posted on these boards about the Known Realms to go by, so I printed one of the posted maps and designed an introductory adventure to start things off.

I have six players. Only two of them are familiar with First Edition, so I made sure this first adventure was simple, straight forward and gave them a few opportunities to see how the game plays.

The adventure starts with the PCs all arriving at a road-side inn located on the road between Archbridge and Dundraville. After they arrive and spend some time in the tavern, they learn (from local gossip, etc.) that sheep herders from the hills to the north are reporting that something is stealing their sheep in the night. They also learn that "old man Quiper was found dead in his pea garden." Well, long story short, later that same night goblins attack the inn. After the battle the locals and innkeeper offer the PCs 250gp to find these monsters and put an end to their menace.

After some tracking they follow the goblins to an old ruined keep in the hills to the north, enter the keep and either kill or run-off the goblins within or meet a bloody end and roll up new characters.

Short and sweet. I should be able to run this in one session. The start of tonight's session will be helping the players get their 1st level characters ready to adventure. I will post on my blog (at my myspace) how everything turns out.

Wish them luck!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Awesome. Sounds like a fun game.

What's the link to your blog?

//H

Edit: I should have checked your profile first:

http://www.myspace.com/jason_richardson

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Good luck with your game Jason!

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”