DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

w_earle_wheeler
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: DCC World

Post by w_earle_wheeler »

This sounds great! While I can't wait to see it, I want you guys to take as long as you need to get it out!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Well, that's the best part: the writing is all done.

Now it's in the process of being edited and illustrated. Baring disaster, it will be released at GenCon Indy. Leave extra space in your luggage because it will be a thick box. :)
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

D'oh! I don't know how I missed this announcement.

But I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is a pretty cool idea. Clearly a lot of people would be interested in it. And while there is The Wilderlands setting which is similarly retro, it"s also kind of , well, weird.

But on the other, I do worry about the modules becoming un-generic. That's happened with a lot of the ones from Necromancer Games - they have complicated backstories and such that clash with my home brew setting. That's never really a problem with DCCs (well, maybe 14 and presumably the Jack the Ripper one...), they fit in perfectly.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Even I had mixed feelings at first, but you have to remember it's presenting GMs with an optional world, particularly useful if you've got a campaign in mind and you plan on using multiple DCCs--this will help tie them all together with most of the work done for you.

I don't think the DCCs will become un-generic. There'll be name-dropping, sure, so that it would be easy to place the adventure in the setting, but the names and places will always be easy to switch to your homebrewed campaign's names and places.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I'd second Jeff's response. I don't expect to see any changes in the style, tone or portability of new DCCs. All the DCCs (even going back to Rat King) have back stories, but we always make sure that the stories are easy to transplant* to your home world.

For instance, Rat King is set in Silverton and mentions Soulgrave. Revenge of the Rat King was written with the Known World in mind, and is set in Soulgrave. But I can promise that there was no discernable difference in how the Crawls were written or structured. Transplant the dungeon in Revenge to Waterdeep, the City of Greyhawk, the City State of the Invincible Overlord, Threshold, Xandrar, or Homebew City X, and you’re good to go.

One way to think about it is this: the DCC series is what happens inside the dungeons. Use the Known World for what happens outside of the dungeons. Otherwise nothing has to change.

I promise. :)
Last edited by Harley Stroh on Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I haven't been interested in purchasing a game world since I bought the original boxed set of the Forgotten Realms back in the mid-eighties.

This is one I'd like to set along side my two World of Greyhawks (the original folio and the later boxed set).

(Well, I have to confess the Wilderlands from Necromancer Games is tempting me as well....)
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

IMHO, the Wilderlands is only truly useful if you already a Wilderlands player/collector. The maps are black and white, the box doesn't come with any adventures, and the the books are "just" encounter keys, as in "hex AB/123: 3 monstrous spiders, large; treasure: 310 sp and a jade key."

For some folks, that works, but if I want a random encounters I write/roll them myself. If you're too lazy to roll your own dice you can go places like

http://www.pixelsharp.com/work/
http://www.aarg.net/~minam/treasure2.cgi

Taadaa! And it was free.

Again, this is only my opinion. Please discard at will. I'm not here to create animosity, I was just disappointed by the product. Maybe I bought it for the wrong reasons.
Angulimala
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Angulimala »

Harley Stroh wrote:...it will be released at GenCon Indy.
August 10-13, 2006 ?!?!

Noooooo. I can't wait that long! :cry:

Would it be possible for you to provide a preview in the form of a world map? This would allow me to start my players on a DCC world campaign that I could further deepen once DCC World is released. At least with a map I could ensure that my geography is correct and could start tying together my DCC adventures correctly.

I'm really excited about this product!

Jeffrey (Houston TX DnD Meetup)

ps. I currently own:

#2: The Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho
#1: Idylls of the Rat King
#11: The Dragonfiend Pact
#14: Dungeon Interludes
#24: Legend of the Ripper
#3: The Mysterious Tower
#17: Legacy of the Savage Kings
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Angulimala wrote:Would it be possible for you to provide a preview in the form of a world map? This would allow me to start my players on a DCC world campaign that I could further deepen once DCC World is released. At least with a map I could ensure that my geography is correct and could start tying together my DCC adventures correctly.
Angu,

You have no idea how badly I want to see these, too. :)

Until the cartographer completes his work all I have are a series of drafts, ranging from scribbles on a sheet of copy paper, to the sheets of butcher paper - 2 ft by 3 ft - taped together on my wall. The final product is going to much more impressive than our scribbles (which is why none of us are cartographers) so I’d hate to ruin the effect by posting our work.

If we get drafts that seem clean, I’ll ask the Big Man in Chicago about posting them.

//H

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Harley Stroh wrote:A rough list of things to expect:
  • -Spells, Magic items, Culture-specific masterwork items;
    -More adventure hooks than you can shake a GM screen at. Every location was written with adventure in mind;
    -A world that is vast, sweeping and mythic in scope, and that needs to be explored;
    -Gods, gods, gods.
    -Rogues gallery/Hall of Heroes (NPCs ... you decide whether or not to kill them :twisted:)
    -A history spanning several eras, answering "where the heck did all these ruins come from?!"
    -Two, all new DCCs, one for 0-level characters, the second for character levels 4-6. You can begin a new campaign right out of the box;
    -Some dwarf named Prester "Trapmaster" Ungart ... :twisted:
Two new DCCs? Will these be full adventures? And will they be available to folks that don't buy the boxed set?

I'm planning on buy the whole thing for my game, but damn. TWO adventures is a powerfully strong lure in and of itself.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

This sounds really cool. Is there a possibility of a release prior to GenCon?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

jason.richardson wrote:This sounds really cool. Is there a possibility of a release prior to GenCon?
Considering how much work still has to be done, probably not. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Can't buy it before GenCon, but you can play one of the modules starting on that Thursday. :)

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Oooooooooooooooh. Who is going to be the first PC to officially die in DCC World?! Can't wait to see!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Nope. That honor still belongs to one of Jeff Quinn's playtesters. :) Maybe if we ask nicely he'll tell us the story someday.

toper
Far-Sighted Wanderer

re: maps for DCC world

Post by toper »

Greetings.

I'm the one trusted with bringing these able fellows' visions to life. It's no small project, I can tell you, but to lean on a cliche, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Like Harley said in an earlier post (or was it Jeff?), this opportunity comes along MAYBE once, to be a major part of the creation of a Campaign Setting. Especially THIS setting, which is right up my alley.
I grew up in Greyhawk, and the Gygax universe, so this has that added element to it of overall coolness. Of course I was a tad intimidated when I first saw the scope of this project, and all the hopes riding on it, but I've accepted that now and if I should miss the deadline by a day or two then I think I'll have just enough time to get to Mexico before anyone can find me.

Har har. Seriously, our deadline should get it easily to GenCon, but I'm seeing a string of sleepless nights leading up to it. All-nighters, baby...oh yeah.

But for anyone with worries, worry not. Work is already underway and I sincerely hope it's going to be as kick-ass or better than the hopes riding on it. Jeff and Harley and Mike...and of course Joseph, have given me plenty to work with.
-Jeremy Simmons "TOPOGRAPHIC REX"

www.dungeonartist.com

www.fourtowersdesign.net

God Save the Penguins
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

As a FYI, I will be mapping out Harley's first adventure for GenCon Indy that will be included in the boxed set. I am reading the module, and it sure is a treat!!! Since Harley is THE MAN, I'm working extra hard to make these full color Dundjinni maps super awesome!

Run, don't walk to sign up for this adventure in Indy!!!!

Ben "Prester Ungart" Waxman
aka "The Superfan"
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

And having seen Jeremy's work before, I can speak for the three of us DCC world guys in saying that we're delighted he's the one rendering the world in full color! Seriously, folks....go check out Jeremy's site (link from his signature). Good stuff. We're as eager as anyone else to see the final product!
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Well, for my money, its the art and the maps that really drive a module home. They're the ones that make us look good.

This was true when I was 12, and is still true today. Every time I get a new one in the mail, the first thing I do is flip through to see the art. :)
Run, don't walk to sign up for this adventure in Indy!!!!
Sadly, they are all full, last I checked. :) I think nearly all the Goodman game events filled up the day Indy opened registration. But if we can find a clear table, maybe we can run ad hoc "Halls."

But rumors are true. Superfan is doing the maps for "The Halls of the Minotaur," and they are some of the best I've seen. Crazy good.

Black Knight
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Black Knight »

Warduke wrote:Oooooooooooooooh. Who is going to be the first PC to officially die in DCC World?! Can't wait to see!
Harley Stroh wrote:Nope. That honor still belongs to one of Jeff Quinn's playtesters. :) Maybe if we ask nicely he'll tell us the story someday.
The first dead DCC charater would be a nutty half-orc barbarian named Krunk played by a good friend of mine, Brian Mellem (you'll see his name pop up in many of my playtest credits).

Krunk was a very.... odd character. After he defeated a creature, he'd roast it and eat it, using his favored weapons as utensils. Namely a fork and knife. Yes, this madman would charge into battle, crying "Krunk hungry," with a fork in one hand and a knife in the other (he did have the Two Weapon Fighting feat) and skewer all edible critters in sight. That was until he fell in combat to a wererat goblin who in turn devoured him (the goblins and wererats roasted his carcass with a bit of basil and sprinkled him liberally with a combination of cracked black pepper and cinnamon). He ever once ate one of the zombie badgers, though he did end up spitting it out (he complained that "furry dinner taste like spinach," he hated veggies).

The second character to die was a female half-orc bard "hippie" that played a didgerydoo (I allowed it to be used as a weapon with Simple Weapon Prof - Quaterstaff, and this character also had Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff) feat). Not nearly as spectacular a death as being eaten, but when she played her instrument, the party would get ambushed often and eventually she died to a spear in the chest (the goblins didn't want to eat her stating "this green-skin creepy and smell like witch doctor hut").
JP Quinn
Owner, Dolmen Creative
Giving dice to your imagination!
Goodman Games Writing Credits: A few 3E DCCs, a Complete Guide, and a few books for Blackmoor.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

My brother owns a didgerydoo, and I can attest to how ridiculous and funny it is to picture an adventuring bard specializing in one. But I can absolutely see it doubling as a weapon.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Is there any way we could get some kindgom names and relative locations to one another? Might make it easier for those who are starting a campaign before GenCon to give the player's some general names and locations.

Please? ;)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Renshai,

I'm sacked through the 31st, but starting in June I'd be happy to offer some details on the setting. I'm sure Mike and Jeff could do the same.

But remember, you don't have to use our version; yours is just fine, and you know it intimately. The DCCs are just as portable as they've always been.

What adventures are you beginning the campaign with?

//H

Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Harley, thanks I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we'd love any details we could get our hands on.

I know I could use my version, but I figure I'd rather not have to retrofit things too much once the boxed set comes out this August.

I'm starting one group off with Into the Wild and another with Idylls of the Rat King.

Edit: Just realized you wrote Into the Wilds. I just wanted to say that so far its turning out to be my favorite DCC so far.

Thanks,
Ren
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Ren,

Wow. Two campaigns?! I hope your groups appreciate the work you put in.

But yes, I'd be happy to help out. Just need to turn in a major project and then I can get back to DCC life as I knew it. Both those modules fall into the "core" area. I'll detail them in the next few coming days.

BTW, I'm really, really thankful that you like Wilds. Last night, just past midnight, I was hit with one of those "everyone but me is going to think this is stupid" moments.

Suffice it to say, your opinion means a lot to me. :)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”