DCC World

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

naturaltwenty wrote:I've got the entire group ready and raring to go for some excellent d20 gaming ahead. I'll be using DCC #35 with only the three core books and perhaps some material from Unearthed Arcana. No slew of feats, no 101 prestige classes just oob D&D (and maybe a psionicist:) ).

Later,

Greg V.
I plan to start a campaign just like that Greg later this year (once my current D&D campaign ends). I will only use the three core rule books too (and do that for my current campaign too; it really makes the game fun to play).

I will get the boxed set as soon as possible and read it a couple of times to master the material. I plan to start the next campaign at level 0.

I'm excited about this too.
naturaltwenty
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Game Universe - Franklin WI

Post by naturaltwenty »

That's the beauty of this type of product. I remember when I was first starting to play at the FLGS (Fantasy Isle in Fond du Lac, WI) there was a campaign called Lemkehawk, which was Greyhawk run by a fellow whose last name was - Lemke.

That's what I loved about Greyhawk. A relatively common background but with the original material you were expected to fill in the blanks with your own creation.

Now we just need to get a Goodman Games UK so things like UK2 The Sentinel and UK3 The Gauntlet can come out :D . Now I know that Fiend Folio is no longer a UK product but an adventure made with creatures purely from that tome would be kinda neat. If only Graeme Morris would write an adventure:).

Later,

Greg V.
Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Games
http://www.naturaltwenty.com
vfults
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by vfults »

I plan on using the setting with the C&C rules. :D Love the Old School cover; took me back to the first time I saw the Grand Duchy of Karameikos gazetteer!

Regards,

V
"It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." --E Gary Gygax
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

naturaltwenty wrote:I've got the entire group ready and raring to go for some excellent d20 gaming ahead. I'll be using DCC #35 with only the three core books and perhaps some material from Unearthed Arcana. No slew of feats, no 101 prestige classes just oob D&D (and maybe a psionicist:) ).

Later,

Greg V.
Right now C&C is my game of choice, but if I was to run another 3E game, the I would use a similar approach. There are plenty of options in the core books to create just about any type of character or campaign.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

vfults wrote:I plan on using the setting with the C&C rules. :D Love the Old School cover; took me back to the first time I saw the Grand Duchy of Karameikos gazetteer!

Regards,

V
My plans also. Just judging by the cover and description this sounds like a perfect place for an old school style of game.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Maliki wrote:
vfults wrote:I plan on using the setting with the C&C rules. :D Love the Old School cover; took me back to the first time I saw the Grand Duchy of Karameikos gazetteer!

Regards,

V
My plans also. Just judging by the cover and description this sounds like a perfect place for an old school style of game.
My plan has been to use GDK and the old GAZ's with C&C, but I am sorely tempted by DCC35.

It sounds like there won't be much converting to be done, but I think that -unless GG wants to put out something official- it would interesting for us DCC "Crusaders" to collaborate on these forums to convert any crunch from the setting to C&C.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Hello again,

I have another question: will this setting assume that I have access to all of the DCC adventures?

Will I see references like, "for information on the village of carnelloe, please refer to DCC # x"?

Or is this setting self-contained?
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Self-contained, mostly. It's still covering all the lands, so no one city or village is going to be highly detailed. In that respect, having a DCC that happens to tie into such a locale will certainly help, but you won't find it vital. Plenty of room for you to develop on your own, too.
Will I see references like, "for information on the village of carnelloe, please refer to DCC # x"?
There will be an index that will help you find out which DCC something can be found in. But for the most part, you won't find the world lacking if you don't own the corresponding DCC. The DCCs themselves are dungeoncrawls first, source material second.

The boxed set is the core source material.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Jeff LaSala wrote:Self-contained, mostly. It's still covering all the lands, so no one city or village is going to be highly detailed. In that respect, having a DCC that happens to tie into such a locale will certainly help, but you won't find it vital. Plenty of room for you to develop on your own, too.
There will be an index that will help you find out which DCC something can be found in. But for the most part, you won't find the world lacking if you don't own the corresponding DCC. The DCCs themselves are dungeoncrawls first, source material second.

The boxed set is the core source material.
Fantastic. While I enjoy reading published adventures I prefer to run my own creations.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

WAAA!! I want it now!

NOWNOWNOWNOW!! :cry:

Man I wish I knew someone going to GenCon! All I can say is better be released for general sale right after the con! :x
bobrunnicles
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bobrunnicles »

bighara wrote:WAAA!! I want it now!

Man I wish I knew someone going to GenCon! All I can say is better be released for general sale right after the con! :x
I am SO right there with you, bighara - September?? I can't possibly wait that long!! I want it NOW!! WAAAA!!!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Ditto guys,

Waiting for Christmas and hoping this will be under the tree is as hard as being 8-years old and waiting to go see Star Wars back in '77!
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

bobrunnicles wrote:
bighara wrote:WAAA!! I want it now!

I am SO right there with you, bighara - September?? I can't possibly wait that long!! I want it NOW!! WAAAA!!!
With you guys on this one, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Maliki
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maliki »

JediOre wrote:Ditto guys,

Waiting for Christmas and hoping this will be under the tree is as hard as being 8-years old and waiting to go see Star Wars back in '77!
I was going to wait until Christmas, but I don't think so I want this as soon as it hits the shelves.
Alarick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC world

Post by Alarick »

wow cant wait im gonna use it for my 1st edition game maybe even add it to my grey hawk world
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCC world

Post by Harley Stroh »

Alarick wrote:wow cant wait im gonna use it for my 1st edition game maybe even add it to my grey hawk world
Off topic, but we have an officially very cool product coming out for you in August, Alarick. :twisted:
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Alarick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

dcc world

Post by Alarick »

really begs for more in fo
toper
Far-Sighted Wanderer

old school crust and prestige classes

Post by toper »

Hah!

I couldn't agree more. 'Old-School Gaming' for me is just regular old gaming, but I have to remember that I'm sort of an old man too. I recall peeling off with glee the low-grade shrink wrap from the next Gygax doozy and the thing is, the joy of that isn't just a nostalgia thing now, I thought the adventures were actually fun and creative, and still are.

3E, alas, has in my opinion lost its way. The prestige classes are summed up well a few posts above me, there's just too many, it's getting ridiculous. Basically what's happening is that everyone can make their own game now, so a 3E session often turns into a bunch of individuals running their own agendas instead of a team banding together, etc. etc., but that's just one fellow's opinion.

I support the idea of further conversions to 1E, or at least 2E, rules.

I'm rambling, aren't I?
-Jeremy Simmons "TOPOGRAPHIC REX"

www.dungeonartist.com

www.fourtowersdesign.net

God Save the Penguins
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: old school crust and prestige classes

Post by Harley Stroh »

toper wrote:I recall peeling off with glee the low-grade shrink wrap from the next Gygax doozy and the thing is, the joy of that isn't just a nostalgia thing now, I thought the adventures were actually fun and creative, and still are.
Ah.....the old shrink wrap. :D :D :D
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: old school crust and prestige classes

toper wrote:Hah!

I couldn't agree more. 'Old-School Gaming' for me is just regular old gaming, but I have to remember that I'm sort of an old man too. I recall peeling off with glee the low-grade shrink wrap from the next Gygax doozy and the thing is, the joy of that isn't just a nostalgia thing now, I thought the adventures were actually fun and creative, and still are.

3E, alas, has in my opinion lost its way. The prestige classes are summed up well a few posts above me, there's just too many, it's getting ridiculous. Basically what's happening is that everyone can make their own game now, so a 3E session often turns into a bunch of individuals running their own agendas instead of a team banding together, etc. etc., but that's just one fellow's opinion.

I support the idea of further conversions to 1E, or at least 2E, rules.

I'm rambling, aren't I?
Hey, it isn't actually 1st edition, but have you seen this?

http://basicfantasy.newcenturycomputers.net/

I may (big may, my players are all v.3.5 junkies) use this system for the DCC campaign.

-jason
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

Not to get into an edition war or the like, but for me, DCC's (#35 included) are for use with Castles & Crusades, not 3.X.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

bighara wrote:Not to get into an edition war or the like, but for me, DCC's (#35 included) are for use with Castles & Crusades, not 3.X.
I like everything about Castles & Crusades except the lack of a skills system. I'm hoping the Castle Keeper's guide offers a few options for that.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Basically what's happening is that everyone can make their own game now, so a 3E session often turns into a bunch of individuals running their own agendas instead of a team banding together, etc. etc., but that's just one fellow's opinion.
That's where there needs to be more like tyrannical DMs like me. :twisted:

Well, actually, I think I'm rather lenient. But still, in my opinion, prestige classes are the dominion of the DM. He or she should maintain martial law on things like that. They really ought to suit the campaign, as has been previously agreed upon.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

jason.richardson wrote:
bighara wrote:Not to get into an edition war or the like, but for me, DCC's (#35 included) are for use with Castles & Crusades, not 3.X.
I like everything about Castles & Crusades except the lack of a skills system. I'm hoping the Castle Keeper's guide offers a few options for that.
<hijack>
The skill issue is one I've heard before. I personally don't have a problem with few/no skills. I like the idea of having the GM make more of those kinds of calls. For me, there are actually a bunch of skills I would simply assume the PCs knew, since they were "heroes" (swimming, riding, etc.). Although I can see how some folks might not like to run (or play) that kind of game. I agree though that it would be a nice option to include in the CKG, but it probably wouldn't be hard to house-rule a skills system, either.
</hijack>
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: DCC world

Post by tacojohn4547 »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Alarick wrote:wow cant wait im gonna use it for my 1st edition game maybe even add it to my grey hawk world
Off topic, but we have an officially very cool product coming out for you in August, Alarick. :twisted:

Ah, the teasing is beginning anew!

One question - wth the "officially very cool product that is coming out in August" be shrinkwrapped? heh

Just pokin' a little fun, that's all.

tacojohn4547

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”