Mysteries of the Drow starting magic items...

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Mysteries of the Drow starting magic items...

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm just about to start this campaign, and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on determining starting magic items for my five 7th level drow players.

Thanks
Black Knight
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Black Knight »

As I mentioned in another thread:
Here are a few house rules of thumb for starting items:

- I rarely allow my players to spend more than 1/4 of their starting gold on a single item.
- I do not allow my players to "buy" any magic items with a caster level over 1.5 times their starting level (in this case, the max caster level for items would be 10th).

As long as those two house rules are followed (IMC) I pretty much allow anything.
Depending on what kind of drow campaign you are having (noble houses against each other, rogues just trying to survive, etc.) will certainly bring the choice of equipment to the forefront of your game.

- If the characters are part of the House, provide either a little more starting money or lower the basic prices of some items by 25% to 50% (especially scrolls, potions, and other nonpermanent items). Maybe even allow them to have, free of charge, a single permanent magical item of the DM's choice.
- If the characters are hirelings, provide them one piece of equipment (DM's choice), free of charge.
- If the characters are mercenaries or "rogues", they all must purchase their equipment (as per normal).

I would suggest that characters each have at least: one magical weapon, one magical defensive item (such as armor or a shield), and two potions or scrolls.
JP Quinn
Owner, Dolmen Creative
Giving dice to your imagination!
Goodman Games Writing Credits: A few 3E DCCs, a Complete Guide, and a few books for Blackmoor.
slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Excellent

Post by slimykuotoan »

Thanks!

Also, I was wondering about starting gold based upon rolled social class...

And out of curiousity, how large was the average party at the tournament for this game (number of players).

I'm trying to set the parameters for the players to roll up characters using the complete guide, and if I set the ECL at 9, I'll end up with 7th level drow, 9th level half-drow, etc.
Black Knight
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Excellent

Post by Black Knight »

slimykuotoan wrote:Also, I was wondering about starting gold based upon rolled social class...
Noble is typically 150% normal down to rogue/renegade at 50% - 75%. Use your best judgement, sometimes I allow renegade drow more money because of a better detailed background, while a few noble characters have gotten almost none (the least favored within their family).
slimykuotoan wrote:And out of curiousity, how large was the average party at the tournament for this game (number of players).
Most of the parties were between 4 and 8 players, though I have run everywhere from 2 to 10 through this at once (I found that a solid party of 4-5 work best).
JP Quinn
Owner, Dolmen Creative
Giving dice to your imagination!
Goodman Games Writing Credits: A few 3E DCCs, a Complete Guide, and a few books for Blackmoor.

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”