Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:41 am 
Gongfarmer

Hi everyone. I'm planning on running my first DCC on New Year's Eve and was pointed at DCC #5 as being a good module. Considering we will be drinking and it is going to be a 24 hr session, it's going to be a good idea for me to memorize as much of the module as I possibly can. So I've been reading through and I've noticed a few errors in it and was wondering if anyone else who ran it came across those errors.

The main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are the following (unfortunately I'm at work and don't have the module in front of me for exacts):

Rook Cleric - Her BAB is wrong, she doesn't have 2nd lvl spells, but to top that she is unable to cast her 1st level spells as her stats are written. Also, it says she has the eye of doom put in her one eye socket, does she suffer the ill effects of missing an eye like it explains in the description of the item, because if so I may be missing something in her stats.

Duergar Exp/Wiz - He's given Imp Crit for his exotic weapon, yet he does not meet the requirements for the feat.

Also, for all the NPC's are the skills listed only skill pts put into them or do they include stat bonuses as well.

Any help someone could offer me would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

My suggestion (and this may be due to the fact I've thrown off the rules shackles of 3rd edition) is to make them the way you want.

The more dangerous the better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 am 
Gongfarmer

LOL...I wish I had the capabilities to. As much as my alignment is CN, I must have rules in my game. Also, I'm playing with a RAW group and they aren't ones to throw rules out the window.

Just trying to see if anyone else might have seen these or if I should just run with it as written.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:33 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop
How did your session go, Lightning? I am looking at this module in order to address a need for Air Elementals and would appreciate your comments. Also, did you play the follow up, Seed of Evil?

LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:29 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

FLGS: trig
Right, so here we are recovering from being blow away at DCC30, with a need to reinvent our purpose. Maledocinious the Titan will suggest to the party, now numbering three with the deaths of Khalil, Elrick & Wasabi Pea, that they retire for a while, regain their strength and comeback when and if they are able. So, we will return to Tamm's Tower, elsewise known as DCC 3, which they will rebuild into their liking. By so doing, with the hiring of folk for the repairs, and, being close to Nimbortan (a big city that also has a druid's grove just out of town) they will attract followers and the like.

As you can tell I make my own maps and heedlessly mix and match from various sources. From Tamm's Tower we will head east, be near a waterside which I am thinking will be of goodly size. Around this body of water will be a number of towers, such as that which houses the Crow God. I have a number of resources such as several good adventures from DCC, dungeon magazine and even parts of ancient adventures like the tomb of elemental evil. I just love how the map for dungeon level four is the drawing of an evil being. There is a cool adventure I played fifteen years ago in Dungeon, the Lady Rose, which is the right strength to have as a master opponent for the current party.

Play day is today - we meet once a month from 3 to 11-ish.

Losloris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I need a hand.

I have placed Grunards Head over there on the map I made. There was a drawing of an island that kind of looked like the Mediterranean with Italy jutting in; so I drew something like it, borrowed map sections from warhammer that looked neat.

I'll post a pic if you are interested.

Anywho, ship math is a thing I need to learn, distances in distance and in time is what I could use a tip on.

For example, how far in days sailing would it be from Athens to Alexandria, Ostia to Carthage, Ostia to alexandria, Carthage to Athens?

That would help me define space for countries, kingdoms, pirates. There are several towers that appear in DCC modules that offer possibilities on a continuous story line.

Losloris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:58 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Does this seem right?

It says that in a book on ancient sea travel by Lionel Cassons there are statistics based on recorded Roman voyages that average to 50 miles per day at sea. Based on that information and if we consider that the distance between Rome and Alexandria by sea is about 1250 miles it would take about 25 days one way.

Losloris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:00 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Here is my map. Yet to name the body of water, and, would gladly take suggestions. Gunard's Head is down around 7 o'clock, and, the current direction w are headed. I put a note to Trouv Tou regarding some papers he found in Tamm's Tower that has some pertinence to five towers and something magical. A follow up note indicates that there is something in each tower that needs to be switched on to create a kind of protective dome - ultimately, this would be against Olhydra, the water archomental. There are four towers on the west side of the water, one deep in the mountains on the east - which is not one we should be looking at. There will be another.

Anywho, was there a specific follow up to DCC5? I have a thinking that I read something on that, beyond who the potential blackmailer, but can not support that.

Losloris
looking to downsize the map image to be able to upload it, but, IT stupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Here is the map, I hope

Losloris

Attachments:
image001.jpg
image001.jpg [ 30.88 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:22 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Couple of things;

One; found this as a quick and easy title generator for books found in a library: http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_block.php?id=172

I manipulated a few, changed some names so they would reflect areas identified on the map (above) such as the Manual on Manticores of Gisoreux, and thus populated the Library in Tamm's Tower (DCC 3). When the party first went through the tower Trouv Tou was insistent on looking through the many books. Also, the party all said collectively that the tower would be an excellent place for us to make a home - which I remembered and now am using as the focus of our campaign.

Two:

One of the books is called The Fine Libram of Enigmas, which is the one Trouv Tou is focused upon. The current overall aim is to have the party visit a number of towers/castles/strange places, five in all, to turn on a device that will protect this Western part of the sea from Olhydra. Not wishing to tax their memories too much (we are all adults with life on the go, we meet once a month, making fine details some times too much) I added a clue to Trouv Tou that as he combs through the text of the Libram he keeps seeing the word Draolhy and touching that word makes his finger wet.

Third:

Current immediate plan is to have the party go through the Phantom, a boat that got stuck on coral which was also discovered at the very same time by a group of locathah, encounter the locathah and then on to the Smuggler's Cove, all the while heading off towards Gunard's Head.

Losloris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:13 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

A week away from game day, so time to collect some random thoughts.

Sorry that I am not smart enough to post the map in a fashion that is easy to view. If you could, you would see four towers on the west side of things and one deep northeast in the mountains. The text Trouv Tou started reading mentions five towers. This, i have decided, will be in order to empower a dome to protect against Olhydra.

As Trouv Tou will continue reading (and a percentile roll of his level + int + wis) he will discern that the fifth tower they need to find is on the west waterside and hidden.

I really like the idea posited by the Tower of the Black Pearl, that the tower only becomes visible under this and that condition. Perhaps the black pearl is what actually makes the dome work.

Anywho, the Phantom (an outrageous loot fest if left unchecked) will have the giant octopus one level down, and then the mezzodemon encaged the level below that. The rational will include a pentagram and being the boat's MU's pet. It will also have a whack of locathah who are boarding from below, drawn perhaps by the magic aura of the trapped mezzodemon.

In the bottom left of the map is the Marsh of Distress. I always liked Tolkien's marsh where all the dead soldiers lie just below the marsh waterline. The intent of having the locathah is to draw the party to the pirates cave. Their actual home is down in the marsh. There, i will have everything relevant to the Black Pearl.

All of the monsters, settings and such can be adapted to any level with just a touch of elbow grease. I really appreciate how DCC provides really decent settings and view it as my responsibility to weave a storyline that can make sense.

Losloris